Topic

Vibram soles in trekking boots

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Vibram soles in trekking boots

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Dumitru Lacatus

@gazirovka

VIBRAM, being the main supplier of high-quality soles for all companies manufacturing outdoor footwear. The point is that all soles of this company are suitable for extreme hiking conditions and ultimately provide maximal clutching between the boot and the surface, thereby parts undergoing the most frequent wear-out are strengthened. The technology of soles manufacture and the material components used for manufacture are the company’s secret. You shouldn’t afraid that there is no typical insertion Vibram on the sole. Almost every good manufacturer of mountain and trekking boots produces soles in cooperation with Vibram. So, almost every good manufacturer inserts Vibram sole even if there is no typical yellow sign on the sole. Mindel, for example, uses colored insertion with huge title “Mindel” and one of ad slogans pretty often.

Edited: Roger Caffin, Online Community monitor, BPL

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

If I understand you correctly your point seems to be that pretty much every sole you buy is made by Vibram and therefore are all the same.
    Vibram are the leading outsole producers, but they have some competitors.
    For example Vibram have a factory in Guangzhou (China) that is just one of the many Chinese factories that work with rubber products including soles for shoes.
    Besides not all Vibram soles are the same, they have many different compounds so your experience with a type of sole is not often applicable to another. As an example my SL2 have a very stiff hard wearing compound but are also very slippery (they have almost no grip at all) but I do have some very grippy Vibram sole on some of my other shoes.
    BTW it is indeed possible that Vibram does manufacture and sell outsoles without their brand on them, however it does not mean that they use exactly the same compounds as they do for their own.
    Franco
    ( I was born not far from the original factory so most of our shoes had Vibram soles)

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

A very similar post has just appeared on OutdoorsMagic. It seems to be from a family member!
    I don't really understand it.

Mark
    BPL Member

@mlarson

Locale: SoCal

Looks like spam to me.

-Mark

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Granted, Vibram were the first to manufacture rubber soles for boots. The company was founded by VIttori BRAMaini, whence the name of the company. Also, they do make good soles.

But many of the world's major shoe manufacturers now make their own brands of soles. The secrets of rubber technology are not really secret any more.

Beware marketing spin!

Cheers

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools