Topic

New Mexico CDT (Gila Natl Forest) where to go?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips New Mexico CDT (Gila Natl Forest) where to go?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Yoyo
    Spectator

@dgposton

Locale: NYC metro

I was thinking of doing a 3-day loop in the Gila National Forest near the Continental Divide after my Big Bend trip this weekend. I'll be driving west from Houston, Texas, on I-10, so Silver City, NM, seems the closest town. Any ideas? I hate to carry water, so there must be streams nearby. I want to see mountains, so higher elevation forest preferred to desert. Wanting to do a moderate loop, maybe 25 miles?

Please respond soon as we leave tomorrow.

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

David,
    You might try the northwest corner of the Gila Wilderness. Take HWY 180, out of Silver City, to the Glenwood/Mogollon area. There's a trail head in Sheridan Gulch that loops, clockwise and exits down the South Fork of Whitewater Creek. There's a shorter loop that exits down Little Whitewater Creek. The route starts at 6200', tops out at 9600' and ends at about 5500'. There's a Forest Service office in Glenwood to check out local conditions.

I have been thinking of moving to the Glenwood area for about 10 years. There are many places for backpacking in that area.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

The Catwalk is supposed to be a cool trip out of Silver.

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

The catwalk is along the lower stretch of Whitewater Creek. I've seen photos and it's wild.

Brian Morgan

@bmor831

Locale: Houston, TX

How far is that drive from houston? I'm east of you in the Beaumont area.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Hey, I have a brother-in-law in Silver City. If you see him……..could you punch him in the nose for me?

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Joe,
    I've only been in Silver City once, and that was in the dead of winter. My impression was that Silver City was, in and of itself, a punch in the nose. WMMV. Of course your brother in law might have moved there from Fresno, and thinks he died and went to heaven.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Nah, he moved there from SE New Mexico, and he's still trying to figure out what trees are.

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

In the Llano Estacado the tree is KIng.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools