Topic

Linville Gorge Wilderness Area

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Linville Gorge Wilderness Area

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jamie Shortt
    BPL Member

@jshortt

Locale: North Carolina

I just completed a trip through the Linville Gorge in NC and wanted to post a trip report. Linville Gorge is an area NE of Asheville, NC and is part of the Pisgah NF. Permits are required from May 1 to Oct 31 and length of stay is limited to 3 days/2nights.

I drove from Raleigh (~4 hours) and got to the trail at 10:00 am on Friday Dec 19th. I parked at the Linville Falls parking lot which is on the north end of the gorge. My trip was 3 days and 2 nights with a base weight of 5.4 lbs.

falls

I started by exploring the nearby falls area. Then I walked south about a mile down Kistler Highway (gravel road) to pick up the Pine Gap Trail which took me down into the gorge and connects with the Linville Gorge trail. The Gorge trail follows the river through the gorge offering great views and sounds of crashing water.

river

The weather was mild, 65 for a high. I found the trails difficult to follow at times as they are not blazed, rocky, and overgrown in areas. My pace was slower then expected, but I did manage to cover 13.5 miles before the sun began to set around 5:00pm. I made camp near Spence Ridge Trail Bridge. The night temp only dipped to 45 degrees with light winds. The next morning I decided to cross the river at the bridge as this is the only place where this is possible.

bridge

I climbed the steep Spence Ridge giving me access Table Rock & The Chimney's (3800' elev) which have great views of the 2000' foot drop.

tablerock

The Mountain to Sea Trail took me to the south end of the Gorge where I forded the cold river to reach the other side of the gorge. Climbing back up I reached Pinnacle nearing dark. Total distance for day 2 was 16.5 miles. I camped near Pinnacle over looking the lights of civilization below. I set up my tarp as the rain started. It rained heavily for the next ten hours then changed to extremly strong winds. Realizing it took me 2 days to get to the southern end and I had one day to get back I decided to break camp early leaving at 6:00 am in total darkness. I found Kistler Highway (a one lane gravel road) and decided to hike it back to the car. This was great as it was a vast improvement to the rough gorge trails. It offered great views of the sun rise and also took me to Wiseman's view.

wiseman

The temperatures continued to drop down to the mid 20's, but the real problem were the high winds on the ridge, upwards of 50 mph. The windchill motivated me to hike fast and I reached my truck at 10:20 am (12.7 miles).

Linville Gorge has got to be one of the "wildest" places in the Eastern US. I'd recommend it to anyone considering the area.

Jamie

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

Jamie,

Great pics! Thanks for posting.

I made that trip back in 2000. Linville is really a gorgeous place!

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

Jamie,
    I used to live nearby, and hiked lots of great other spots around there (Roan Mountain, Grandfather Mountain, etc.). Linville Gorge really is a pretty spot, and very rugged looking. Thanks for the memories.

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

Great report and pictures, thanks.

Misfit Mystic

@cooldrip

Locale: "Grand Canyon of the East"

Hi Jamie, great trip report! I've hiked the Gorge quite a bit, considering I live in Burke County not far from the eastern rim. I've been down the MST/Shortoff Mt. trail recently, but didn't go down to the river. How was the ford when you crossed? I'll be making that crossing soon, and it can definitely be a little hairy when you're solo!

Jamie Shortt
    BPL Member

@jshortt

Locale: North Carolina

Scott, I wasn't expecting the ford. Since there was a road nearby I assumed (typically not a good thing to do when reading maps) that the trail would utilize a bridge for the road. The road doesnt cross the river so there is no bridge.

The river was the widest slowest moving section I saw by far. The water was pretty cold, but honestly not as bad as I expected for December.

The way I got across was to remove my shoes, socks, and pant legs. I loaded them into my pack and waded across. I got wet to my crotch. It took a bit of fortitude to keep going. The rocks in the bed were all rounded and slick so it would have been easy to slip and fall all the way in.

My guess is the river is at normal levels. If the level was significantly higher I think you might want to reconsider crossing. Here is a picture to give you an idea.

ford

Thanks all for the interest in my report!

Jamie

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools