Topic

Montbell UL SS #0 – true to rating…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking Montbell UL SS #0 – true to rating…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Brian Barnes
    BPL Member

@brianjbarnes

Locale: Midwest

My son (11) and I spent an hour or so outside during our "artic blast" that came through the area, testing our newly acquired Montbell UL SS #0 (zero degree F down) sleeping bags. The temperature was ~ 2 degrees F with wind gusts in the 20-30's. We both were wearing the following:

Feet: double smartwool hiker socks
    Legs: thin baselayer, 200 wt fleece pant
    Torso: thin baselayer, 260 wt merino top, micropuff pullovers
    Head: mid weight beanies
    Sleep pads: regular length Therm-a-rest Prolite 4 plus two layers of Gossamer Gear Evazote 3/8" thinlights

Overall, we were completely warm (I could have easily not worn the micropuff) and with exception of our noses, did not feel the wind gusts.

In conclusion, these bags rock! They are very warm, windproof, and for less than 3 pounds, not bad on weight. I think I could take these bags to at least -10 to -15F with the clothing system we had on.

Here we are bundled up:

Tom Caldwell
    BPL Member

@coldspring

Locale: Ozarks

Let us know how they do over a complete night at those temps.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Hi Brian,
    Good stuff.
    FWIW, my winter camping buddy has one and has taken his down to -6F (-21C) with just a base layer on…sleeping on a Full Length DM7. We actually had temps hit 0F (-18C) last night when we were out…no problems. You made some good purchases!

And for those interested, my trusty Versalite endured the same beatings, with baselayer and VBL, used on a DM7 short.

Let us know how low you go!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools