Topic

Phoenix Area in January

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Phoenix Area in January

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Torsten Johnson

@torstyguy

I'm going to be in the Phoenix area during the third week of January. I'm looking for a good place to hike for a few days. Any suggestions? I'd like to stay within a couple hours of the city. I have been looking into the Superstition Wilderness. How cold should I be prepared for in the Superstition Mountains in January? I'm traveling at the moment and am not equipped for full on winter camping.

Daniel Sands

@malpaso

Locale: Southwest US

If you aren't equipped for cold weather then you should probably limit your hiking to the daytime. I did an overnight in the Superstition Wilderness on 12/26 with snow on the ground and overnight temps in the teens (F). Good day hiking is always available in the Superstition Wilderness. The Hugh Norris Trail in the Saguaro NP outside of Tucson is another day hike that will take you from Sonoran desert to high desert in 7 miles.

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

there are numerous overnight destinations below 3500'
    temps in the Supes these past several days have been moderate in the mid twenties and low 30's range. Christmas weekend was slightly colder, with rain. I go out to the Western Supes 2x per month, I can report the temps in my upcoming camp in a few days. (4000' or so..)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools