Topic

Ti Spork / Knife

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Multiple Use Gear Ti Spork / Knife

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Ron Bell / MLD
    BPL Member

@mountainlaureldesigns

Locale: USA

Tip of the day…If you already carry a Ti spork, you can grind a very nice and sharp 1-1/5″ simple knife blade on the handle end. I grind mine in a tanto type shape leaving part of the end rounded– let’s me use it as a point to slice while not being too pointed in the hand. I find no threat of slicing my hand while using it as a spoon. It can cut and whittle very well, especially when needing to make fuzz sticks for quick fire starts. Ti is tough and you’ll need a good grinder to shape it. With a dremel tool mini serations can be added to part of the blade to get through you elbow tendons if needed…

Michael Freyman
    BPL Member

@mfreyman

Any plans to market one for those without the appropriate grinder needed for Ti?

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

I know you arent worried about cutting your hand, but you could put some scotch tape on it just in case

Dixon Way

@lightknight

What do you think if a very nice 1-1/2″ knife blade with serations is made on the handle end of BACKPACKINGLIGHT Ti Mini Spork? For the handle of this spork might be thin enough as knife blade.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Not that I’ve tried, but just thinking out loud — how about grinding one edge of the spork, instead of the handle where you can potentially cut yourself?

OK, after reading “Anon’s” post below, I retract my suggestion. It’s no better than “status quo” after all.

Anonymous

“grinding edge of the spork, instead of the handle”

You run the risk of a cut to tongue or lips.

Scott Peterson

@scottalanp

Locale: Northern California

What? You have never eaten a frozen yogurt with a paring knife?

Anonymous

“paring knife”

No. Especially not with one of Ron Bell’s Tanto handled sporks. Reading into how sharp these things might be ground, I get the picture of something I could also use for a dual purpose: a spork or spork handle so sharp that one could shave with it. I’m not putting anything that sharp in my mouth.

james w glenn
    Spectator

@bark-eater

How about a shrinkwrap sheath? I put one on my “pocket” marline spike (boatguy stuff) works good no holes in pocket or leg. If the spork handle tapers down towards the spork end the cutting edge would need to be less than half the handle length so that the sheath could retract toward the spork…Like one of those 80’s tekna diver switch blades.. titanium ninja spy guy spork…..hiyaaa

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

or you could just put some tape over the blade.

Johann kuester

@whirlpool

Now that is a great idea, Ron. Thanks for the tip.

Alan Moore

@alan_in_az

Locale: Sunny Southwest

Or for those who have used & liked the plastic "Light My Fire" double ended sporks (with pseudo knife on the fork end) – This is now available in titanium too.

http://lightmyfireusa.com/spork.html

I have one – its great – same size as the original small plastic ones. It comes with a not very sharp serated knife section – probably for liability reasons. I have ground a sharper edge on it… its not like you need to be that careful to avoid cutting yourself (esp. in fork mode vs spoon mode)… works great. Likely not such utility as a knife – but you could easily fuzz sticks with it…

Anonymous
    Inactive

I saw many of these break on the trail this year, I wouldn't recommend one to anyone, sorry.

I'd recommend a Ti SPOON, not spork. A spork can't clean the corners of pots out and you can use a spoon to eat anything on the trail.

Scott Lehr

@lehrscott4

Locale: Louisville - KY

I have to disagree. Eating pasta is never fun with a spoon.

Alan Moore

@alan_in_az

Locale: Sunny Southwest

Peter did you read what I actually wrote…? this was about their TITANIUM sporks – and of course this style has fork/knife & real spoon ends… I also have a snow peak single ended Ti spork but I much prefer the LMF one…

I've used the plastic LMF sporks and they seem fairly robust in my use – but they certainly do melt easily if you use them as pot utensils – I do like the oversize ones used carefully as utensils for large group cooking.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Having used a spork exclusively for the last six years, I just haven't ever had a problem with not being able to clean out the "corners of my pot".

Anonymous
    Inactive

I'm saying I saw many people on the AT this summer with LMF utensils that were broken/cracked. Just what I saw.

As far as a spork, it doesn't scoop out the entire pot since it has the fork on the end of it. I use a spoon now and am just as happy with it as anything else I've used.

This is all personal preference, so use what works for you and what you eat.

Gary Boyd

@debiant

Locale: Mid-west

Peter I'm a little confused. The LMF spork has a regular spoon on one end and a fork with one serrated prong on the other end. So it does actually work just like a spoon, only it has a fork… and a knife… of sorts.

Bryce
    BPL Member

@antigroundhogday

Locale: Stamford, CT

My regular LMF spork is 10 grams + my Stanley Mitey Knife w/ extra blade in handle is 8 grams. Are the TI sporks <18 grams (0.63oz)? I've never looked into them. thx.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I know what they are, I'm just saying that they aren't very durable. If you try to eat cold ice cream with one, they will break. That's my measure of a durable eating utensil:)

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I wish I could get cold ice cream on the trail.

Scott Lehr

@lehrscott4

Locale: Louisville - KY

I have a bunch of the light my fire sporks, and after reading this thread i tried to break one on purpose with my hands. Not near as easy as you would think. 2 of the prongs on the fork broke, but it took serious effort to snap it in 2 pieces,

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"I wish I could get cold ice cream on the trail."

There are some freeze-dried ice cream products on the market. First of all, don't get your expectations set too high.

When you get near your high-elevation camp, you have to look high for some old snow drift still remaining from winter, and you carry down a pot full. Scrape out the bits of twigs and rocks, and use just the good clean part. Vigorously mix the ice cream powder with the snow, and VOILA!

I've made this for a group dessert many times, and it always seems to go over great as long as the sun is still up and the weather is warm. Once the sun goes down, nobody wants to eat ice cream while wearing a down jacket.

–B.G.–

Anonymous
    Inactive

Senario where you might have icecream on the trail:

You're a thruhiker and you go into a town to eat some food. Pick up a pint, or two, of Ben and Jerry's and go to town on it. I bet I did that 20 times last year on the AT.

I'm liking the guy that broke his plastic utensil for the sake of the thread. That rules.

Mike McHenry

@mtmche2

For what its worth, I find my LMF sporks to be pretty darn durable. I mean if you intend on using them for cat hole digging or guyline deadmen, then I might recommend something else, but for eatings sake, they rock. I have seen less durable household metal spoons.

With that said I just switched to a Sea to Summit long spoon for bags and as a cooking utensil and I am digging it. As for the original post, i don't know if I would sharpen the end of my spoon. I carry a knife, so it wouldn't be of much use.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools