Topic

Crocs

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Crocs

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Thomas R. Conroy
    BPL Member

@trconroyearthlink-net

Locale: Sierra

For those of you who do use CROCS as camp shoes, which model did you choose? Which is the lightest model, in your experience?

Thank you.

Roman Ryder
    Spectator

@romanla

Locale: Southwest Louisiana

I got the Off Roads in hopes of using them for trips with lots of stream crossings. I haven't gotten to field test them yet though.

Matt Lutz

@citystuckhiker

Locale: Midwest

I use a pair of generic AirWalks – similar and $10. They weigh 240 grams per pair. I do not use them for stream crossing, and rarely take them.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I used the ordinary ones. Actually they were imitation Crocs. I actually hiked in them a couple of times. Worked great. My only complaint was that one shoe seemed to lean to the side some.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

The lightest model, especially designed for BPL readers, weighs 0 grams.

Cheers

Doug L
    BPL Member

@mothermenke

Locale: Upstate NY

Haven't verified their claimed weights, but supposedly much lighter than Crocs.

Also a bit more girlie looking compared to Crocs.

http://www.quarkgear.com/clogs.asp

Joshua S
    BPL Member

@joshualee101

I just bought a pair of the liberty QUARKS, size 10. They weigh 5 oz each, as opposed to their advertised weight of 3.6 oz. They also feel stiffer, and less comfortable, than crocs.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Not to hijack the thread, but another alternative are XC Racing Flats. These are designed for races from 5k up to a marathon. I bought an inexpensive pair of Saucony flats and total weight for the pair is 13oz. They can be had for as little as $30 on sale on the Web. Lighter brands are available, although at a premium cost.

This type of shoe is designed to handle muddy/wet/slippery XC courses, grip the foot to be secure in turns, have minimal impact on feet such a blisters, and provide some support. Also, work well with just a sock liner or even sans socks.

These can actually be used for UL hiking (I have done it on good trails), but won't get you much life out of them in terms of mileage. Just an option I have not seen anyone explore.

Typically I use them as camp shoes when doing desert hiking that requires hauling a lot of water and wearing boots, or when hiking in areas that are very wet such as canyons with mostly sandy bottoms. For me they are a specialized piece of equipment that I do not use very often… but am glad I have them when conditions are right.

William Puckett

@beep

Locale: Land of 11, 842 lakes

What about "Water Shoes" (e.g. Teva Proton 4)? 7 oz per pair according to web info.

Erik Graf

@vango

Locale: Southeast

I know Thomas asked about Crocs specifically – I do not bring them b/c the weight vs. usefullness aren't worth it to me. There are a lot of options and it has been discussed in many threads – including this one:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/16074/index.html?skip_to_post=120571#120571

I went with these as a camp shoe/stream crossing shoe. Minimal protection but it's better than nothing. Light, cheap, if you lose one (or both) you haven't lost much

http://www.sprintaquatics.com/prodinfo.asp?number=901

Bryant Burton
    BPL Member

@moabrocks

I really like Crocs for camping and use them for not only my around camp shoe but also my fly fishing wading shoe. They actually have great grip on wet rocks. I don't have the Croc brand … my wife sells Avon so I got the ones they have. $6.99 … not bad. Actually I think mine were cheaper with my wife’s discount.
    – Bryant

http://shop.avon.com/shop/product.aspx?pf_id=33797&from=search&find_spec=menshoes&camp=200903&dir_delivery=1&rep_delivery=1

martin cooperman
    Spectator

@martyc

Locale: Industrial Midwest

There is a type of Crocs that are lighter and fit more securely for stream crossings: Crocs Mary Janes.

They weight 4.5 oz each shoe.
    They come with two thinner straps that really secure my foot when crossing streams over rocks and debris.

Do get them in an embarassing color. Mine were striking green.

Marty Cooperman

Emmett Lyman
    BPL Member

@ejl10

Locale: Northeast US

To revive a dead topic…

I bought a pair of Quark Freedoms in hopes that their weight claims would hold up. The pair weighed in at 11.1oz for a W12/M10. I intended to order a M12, so they might well have come in over 12oz. The 3.4oz claim is probably legitimate for the smallest size, but few people will be able to enjoy it!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools