Topic

Kanik

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Scouting Philmont Kanik

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Curtis Ware
    BPL Member

@ware_curtis

Locale: Midwest

We have two crews going to Kanik (cold weather adventure) at Philmont.

Any suggestions or gear list recomendations for going "light"

Thanks

Carl Zimmerman
    BPL Member

@carlz993

Just found this forum on Scouts. So, the reply is about 8 mo too late.

I've been to three previous Kanik's @ Philmont. The furthest I've had to travel on my own feet is about a mile w/ gear (pulling a sled). Two times, we had big snow storms. Got evacuated from the back country on one. The other was a record December storm (closed all roads going everywhere; we had to stay an additional day & a half at base camp before we could leave for home). Once you get to camp, you stay there for several days. If you're cold-natured, be sure you have adequate insulation.

I lightened up on stuff sacks (Sea to Summit Sil-Nylon), 5 deg down bag, Stephenson tent (on two trips), Montbell Thermawrap insulating jacket, etc. Because of the short distances traveled, I didn't worry that much about trying to really lighten up my load.

Anyway, I hope you had a good time this winter. I was there also. This time, we didn't get any monster snows.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools