Topic

Leather work gloves while skiing?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking Leather work gloves while skiing?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Brian Barnes
    BPL Member

@brianjbarnes

Locale: Midwest

Anyone use leather work style gloves while skiing? I read in Mike Clelland's gear list that he uses a work glove. Poking around on some "ski forums' the Kinco® Ski Gloves (901 model) treated with snowseal gets rave reviews. Just curious…

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Deerskin gloves with Snoseal, and light stretch fleece liners. I find it hard to find ones that are not too baggy.

Also good for shoveling the driveway.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

So what would the advantage be?

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Durability and cheap replacement.

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

Take your liner gloves with when selecting a size. A tight fit will result in cold fingers/hands, look for a nice roomy fit while wearing your liner.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

That was easy….

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

grab
    These gloves are the standard issue in Jackson Hole and Teton Valley. Everybody skis in 'em. They are warm, and comfy and last a few seasons.

about 14 bucks at the hardware store.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

Get ones with synthetic backs as opposed to cotton though. If you must have an activity-specific glove there are copious manufactures who make ski gloves that are basically work gloves but they are in "ski proper" colors and have little bells and whistles such as vents and zippers to make them more "ski-worthy".

Paul Tree

@paul_tree

Locale: Wowwww

Great for fearless fist jams. Never used athletic tape, but I bet this is quicker and less overhead, if not quite as good. Only tried it a few times but what a difference. My gloves are undersized slightly so they really tighten up when you make a fist. That may work against the hand for holding poles.

When they get wet, takes forever to dry. They have gone scrambling a few times and been happy. Nice as a wind blocker in cool dry conditions, you know how hands and ears get cold from jogging.

Brian Barnes
    BPL Member

@brianjbarnes

Locale: Midwest

Thanks for the great feedback! I was on vacation while you all replied and just now found the responses… doh!

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I don't climb, but I found these Petzl belay gloves at REI a couple years ago for $28 and they make good general pupose leather gloves. They do have a synthetic back. I would use some sort ot water treatment for skiing.

Petzl Cordex belay gloves

Paul Tree

@paul_tree

Locale: Wowwww

Just got their catalog and they again have Grandoe leather/synth insulated gloves for winter sports $30.

I have a pair and they are more durable than my Marmot or Dakine gloves. Good for snowboarding. L and XL only.

They are not ultralight, and do not come with idiot cords.
    The strap and buckle on the back may be removed.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,57634_Grandoe-Expedition-Gore-Tex-Gloves-Waterproof-Insulated-For-Men-and-Women.htmlglovepcs

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools