Topic

Lightweight headwear systems

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Lightweight headwear systems

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Yoyo
    Spectator

@dgposton

Locale: NYC metro

I haven't seen any articles on BPL regarding this topic. I want to develop a versatile headwear system that can accomodate a variety of temperatures, down to the 20s at least.

I was thinking of trying one of these balaclavas that I saw at REI yesterday:

Outdoor Research Option Balaclava
    Mountain Hardwear Powerstretch Balaclava

I was thinking of these in conjunction with a Mountain Hardwear Micro Dome.

Do you think a balaclava is necessary to temps around 25 degrees, and how would you incorporate a balaclava into a headwear system?

Chad Miller

@chadnsc

Locale: Duluth, Minnesota

I have found that a balaclava to be necessary when the winds get strong. In temperatures around the 20 degree mark a 15 mph wind can be downright cold!

I wear a thin balaclava (OR Option) under my warm hat. Think of the balaclava as your heads base layer. When I'm moving it's just the balaclava but when I'm stopped I add my warm hat.

I use the OR Option balaclava and find it to work well for temperatures around 5 degrees (assuming you’re moving).

I hope this was helpful.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

I use the MH PS balaclava with a Micro Dome or Dome Perignon depending on how bad the wind is out. You might want to split the difference and get a Transition Dome.

Yoyo
    Spectator

@dgposton

Locale: NYC metro

I have the Dome Perignon, too. I guess I could bring a balaclava on all my winter trips and then add whichever dome I feel would best serve the circumstances.

So it appears that some of you use the balaclava as base layer, and then the hat over that?

I was thinking of it in the reverse. Hat first, then if real cold or windy, add balaclava.

Matt Lutz

@citystuckhiker

When I use a windproof balaclava, I use it outside my thin fleece cat. When I do not use a windproof balaclava, I use it under my thin fleece hat.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

I carry a 100 wt fleece balaclava for three season. If windy will pull over it my Montane Lightspeed hood.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Most of the time I just wear the balaclava as a hat and then just pull it down when it gets colder and then pop on the Perignon or Micro over top the balacava if it gets colder yet. If it gets colder yet I strip off the hat and use my down balaclava with the PS underneath as a base layer.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Dave,
    I use the MH Powerstretch Balaclava in combination with a MH Transition Featherweight Dome, which has a Windstopper barrier, down to the low 20's. The Dome is usually just fine for daytime activities, but if things get really nasty, you can put the Balaclava on either under or over the Dome. Where the Balaclava really comes into its own is as part of my sleep system-good with the Dome down to 19 degrees, IME, as far as I've taken the combo so far. A Dome Perignon(the new ones also have a Windstopper barrier) should do the trick just as well, but is heavier by about an ounce.

Tim Hollingworth

@timh

Locale: Northwest Georgia

Consider the Pearl Izumi Microsensor Facemask (balaclava) as part of your system.

http://www.pearlizumi.com/product.php?mode=view&pc_id=431&product_id=679

It is marketed for cycling but looks similar to the others I have seen. The reason why I mention it is that your local bike shop should have plenty in stock this time of year for you to eyeball and try on.

I second the idea of using it as a hat and pulling it down to cover the whole head as conditions warrant.

-Tim-

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

Ray Jardine sells a "bomber hat" kit for $20.
    Uncoated nylon shell with synthetic insulation weighs about an ounce.

http://www.rayjardine.com/ray-way/Bomber-Hat-Kit/index.htm

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

mike, does anyone offer free instructions or a pattern for a hat like the rayway hat?
    i can see its just a simple 3pc shell but Im thinking of a DIY like it using down as insulation.

otherwise, i entertained the idea of a silk balaclava (<$10)

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I think a balaclava would be overkill at 25F– without wind. Add wind and it would be nice to have. For my Pacific Northwest climate, a good winter hat would basically be a Seattle Sombrero with earflaps— good for rain and cold.

Under a hood, one of the Peruvian style caps is toasty. Your idea for a Power Stretch balaclava sounds good– the stuff is comfortable and warm.

How about something like an OR Rain Bucket hat with a balaclava?

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

What I have worried about in the past is that the windstopper hats might actually impede some of the breathability of the vapor coming of of my head. I really haven't tested this yet but it should be something you might want to think about.

Chad Miller

@chadnsc

Locale: Duluth, Minnesota

I have found that a balaclava with wind stopper only around the mouth works very well without effecting breathability.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

What have you found as an example of this?

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

does anyone offer free instructions or a pattern for a hat like the rayway hat?
    i can see its just a simple 3pc shell but Im thinking of a DIY like it using down as insulation.

Jan Rezac describes an MYOG balaclava with basic instructions and a link to pattern in THIS FORUM THREAD

I scaled it up quite a bit (don't recall how much) for a heavily insulated version and still needed to expand it a bit in the mouth area. But it's a very good starting pattern. Will be trying to use it as a starting point for a hood on a Thru-Hiker Kinsman.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Brett,
    The only time I've ever had this heat/vapor buildup using a Windstopper beanie is when I'm really cranking uphill. The solution is to fold the beanie up over my ears to get it off my forehead and neck-sort of like venting a parka. So far that has always solved the problem.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Thanks Tom but I was looking more at the Windstopper balaclavas. I use a MH Dome Perignon that has the windstopper and I do some thing similar to you if I need to vent a bit. Really go to test that out a few weeks ago when the temps were -20F with the 20-30mph wind chill. I used a Power Stretch balaclava with the Perignon and my face was a bit cold but I don't know if that was from it not being windproof or the fabric was just too thin. Probably the latter.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Brett,
    If you use a Windstopper balaclava in those conditons you should be fine. If it warms up and/or the wind subsides, you can roll the balaclava up on your head, above your ears,
    just like you do with the Dome Perignon. That will allow you to vent the heat.

Kari Post
    BPL Member

@karipost

Locale: New Hampshire

My boyfriend got me a Patagonia R1 Balaclava for my birthday and I tested it out snowshoeing in 20 degree temps over Christmas. The R1 fabric is very comfortable and did a good job at blocking the wind despite being very breathable. I wore it with my entire face showing through the opening (eyes, nose, and mouth) and found it to be perfect. My head never felt hot or cold when moving or when standing still. With this balaclava, I did not feel the need for an extra hat at all.

I haven't used other balaclavas, but my boyfriend, who works at REI and gets discounts on gear purchased from them, actually went to a Patagonia store and bought my R1 balaclava retail because he felt it was a superior product. After I let him borrow mine while building a snow shelter with his cousins, he went back and bought one for himself.

For 20 degree temps I think the R1 balaclava would suit you fine. If you are hiking in high wind or colder temps, you might want to add a beanie of some sort. I'll be testing out my gear in an upcoming trip to New Hampshire's White Mountains in February, so I'll have better insight after that.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

I think I need to stop being such a dumbass and pull the hood on my shell up when it is windy to cut it off from at least three directions and possibly rig something up that would attach on one side o the hood and velcro to the other to block the lower half of my face. A windstopper balaclava sounds good but I think it would not allow out enough perspiration

Miner
    BPL Member

@miner

Locale: SoCAL

I normally carry a MH Powerstretch Balaclava for most trips. If you don't need the neck/face coverage, you just roll it back up on itself so that it looks like a funny looking cap. This past November I was in 24F weather with strong winds and snow. I wore this combined with my rain jacket's hood and my head and face was plenty warm. At 1.3oz, there aren't many options that weigh less for a warm cap; especially one so versatile over a wide temperature range.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools