Topic

Materials Sourcing

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Materials Sourcing

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 76 through 93 (of 93 total)
  • Author
    Linsey Budden

@lollygag

Locale: pugetropolis

Ray Way tarp kits are sold by the Jardines with or without detailed instructions. Without equals a cheaper kit. One can add extra footage for as much silnylon as needed. This fabric is treated with a proprietary coating to address ‘misting through’ issues. They have just added new colors.

Linsey Budden

@lollygag

Locale: pugetropolis

Ray Way tarp kits are sold by the Jardines with or without detailed instructions. Without equals a cheaper kit. One can add extra footage for as much silnylon as needed. This fabric is treated with a proprietary coating to address ‘misting through’ issues. They have just added new colors.

Justin Ling

@ling_jd

Locale: columbus ohio

Hi,
    I’ve been poking around all day trying to find polarguard delta. If someone has posted it in a previous thread then I can’t find it. Does anyone know where I can find some?

-justin

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

Justin asked:

“I’ve been poking around all day trying to find polarguard delta. If someone has posted it in a previous thread then I can’t find it. Does anyone know where I can find some?”
    ==============================
    Justin,
    Polarguard Delta is one of those materials that the company does not (under normal conditions) let anyone retail it.

Ryan, here, said a while back that he may have some left over from the new Cocoon items later this fall. If that happens he may have some to retail. It may just be called continuos filament insulation.

You might want to look at Climashield XP at Thru-Hiker.com You can buy it and It should do anything you might want to use Polarguard Delta for. The same company that makes Climashield products also makes Polarguard Delta.

Justin Ling

@ling_jd

Thanks a lot for the info.

I did notice some continuous filiment insulation at outdoor wilderness fabrics:
    http://www.owfinc.com/Fabrics/insulation.asp

any thoughts on that?

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

OWF’s “Polyester Continuous Filament” is Polarguard 3D. They’re not
    permitted to use the name in print, but if you talk to the nice
    ladies on the phone they’ll tell you. They are closing it out but it’s still listed on their insulation page until the inventory is used up.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

The price between the Thru-Hiker – Climashield XP at $10.95 a yard and the OWF – PG 3D at 10.36/$10.96 a yard is so close price really isn’t a factor. The Climashield XP however, is a much better insulation.

You can wait a month or so and hope to get some (PG – Delta) from backpackinglight.com if they have some to sell. You may have to buy it in 5 yard amounts. I like the PG – Delta and if it was me and I really didn’t need now I would wait and hope for some of the PG – Delta.

Justin,
    I just noticed you are not a member here. You may need to be a member to get the sales notice/and or be able to buy any items like the insulation. I think the notice for new stuff in the store goes out to members first and a lot of times things get sold out before the notice goes public.

Justin Ling

@ling_jd

thanks so much for all the info. i’ve been considering becoming a member for awhile now. I’m very new to backpacking, and very cheap about it (hence the diy gear inclinations).

but i love sewing, so i’ll definitely be frequenting this thread.

Cameron Reed

@cameronjreed

I am new to MYOG, but want to try my hand at a PolarGuard Delta Quilt.

Where can I get Polarguard Delta (retail)????

Justin Ling

@ling_jd

hi cameron,

you can find your answer in the last 6 posts before yours.

Tony Burnett
    Spectator

@tlbj6142

Locale: OH--IO

FWIW, our wacky pal RJ (the older one) doesn’t think Delta is worth the trouble if you are using it to make a quilt (http://www.ray-way.com/quilt/delta.shtml).

If you end up going with plain old 3D to make a quilt, he is probably the cheapest source, though you have to buy a kit to obtain it. It is not like you have to use his design. But you are required to send a follow-up email explaining how grateful you are that he exists.

Dwight Shackelford

@zydeholic

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MYOG-Matl-Sources/

I’m started a couple of categories under list. Feel free to set things up over there. Try to approach it from an organized angle.

It can still be moved back over here when done, but at least we get to control it over on Yahoo while we work out the bugs.

Dwight

Paul Tree

@paul_tree

Locale: Wowwww
    Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> does one also need some kind of snap installation tool?

For most of these things, yes, you need a special punch and die to set them. I make my own on my lathe. Takes a few failures before I get the punch right for each different thing.

But if you go to a fabric shop you should find little packs of eyelets, snaps etc for sale, with a punch and die included. Sometimes they sell bulk resupply bags there too. If you don’t have a lathe, this is the way to go.

David Olsen
    Spectator

@oware

Locale: Steptoe Butte

I have some fabrics for sale as well.

Some Cuben #2 (scraps and yards), Sil – lots of colors and some 72" stuff, white spin, paclite, heavier fabrics, xcr,nanoseeum mesh, couple of kinds of closed cell foam.

http://owareusa.com/

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

I was looking at the Forum on Thru-Hiker.com and saw a notice that they now have
    Momentum90 in six (6) colors, Khaki, Grey, Purple, Aaegean Blue, Red, and Black.

If you long for Pertex Quantum but can't get it – some think Momentum90 is as good or better. In the past it was only availble in Black.

Steve Smith

@bardsandwarriors

Locale: Wales

UK/EUROPEAN

Any chance of a UK/European version of this list? Admin, feel free to separate this into a different thread if you wish. My main suppliers include –

Point North http://www.pointnorth.co.uk/ (UL fabrics, UL accessories, odd bits, fixings, etc; chec out their 'remnants' for value)

Pennine Outdoor http://www.pennineoutdoor.co.uk (similar to Point North)

Shelby Extreme Materials (Finland) http://www.shelby.fi/ (similar again, but often have the very latest stuff which the others don't).

Fabrics 'n' Stuff http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Fabrics-n-Stuff (an ebay shop selling discounted rolls, end-of-rolls, etc. Exc value, frequently sells crisp UL silnylon, taffeta, coated, and sometimes 'unidentified' top-drawer breathables. But you have to take what's there, or wait)

Various "Pound shops" on the high street.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Viewing 18 posts - 76 through 93 (of 93 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools