Topic

3 Season Gear list for solo hiking and camping above tree line in the Pyrenees

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists 3 Season Gear list for solo hiking and camping above tree line in the Pyrenees

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    John Frederick Anderson
    BPL Member

@fredfoto

Locale: Spain

I'd appreciate some comments on my current gear list linked in my profile.

Thanks in advance.

I've got my total weight down from more than 20 kilos to about 8 or 9 kilos during the course of the year since I discovered BPL and lightweight hiking, so thanks to everybody for all the fantastic information on this site. I've learned so much already.

I usually camp around 2000+ meters.

cheers
    fred

John Frederick Anderson
    BPL Member

@fredfoto

If nobody comments on my gear list, does this mean it is perfect?

J B
    BPL Member

@johannb

Locale: Europe

Went through it.

Just a question: How's the hut density in the Pyrénées? I assume you can buy food here and there.

John Frederick Anderson
    BPL Member

@fredfoto

There are manned and unmanned huts along various routes. The GR11 in Spain goes past manned huts taht serve food nearly every day if you want, and you don't have to carry a shelter, either. This can get expensive though. Through France, the GR10 is the same, and passes through towns for resupply. I tend to carry the food I need to avoid the crowds in summer, and stay up high. I hike part sof the HPR and mixed routes depending on the map. I get my ideas for routes from the geography and paths marked, which are usually the lesser travelled paths, and am therefore more independent than the GR hikers.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
    Brian UL

@maynard76

Locale: New England

Why a Rab top bag and a MLD bag ?
    Im thinking one quilt/bag of equivalent warmth would be lighter than the 2 separate since you will have half the fabric.

John Frederick Anderson
    BPL Member

@fredfoto

Roger,
    Thanks for the links, I'm very familiar with those articles, having studied them before my purchases and during. Your guidance through your experience is invaluable on this forum- so thanks a lot.

Brian,
    I use the top bag for mid summer (August) and take along the quilt as an overbag for shoulder season hikes (July and September) It is cheaper than me buying two bags, and more flexible. I have a heavier bag. a three season down bag from 20 years ago, and I've never had a comfortable night in it as it is too warm for me. The top bag is just right, and if I am wearing the quilt on top, and it is too cold- I can just roll the quilt away, or back on again if the temperatures drop. I also find that it prevents draughts and mist hitting the sleeping bag, so I can shift it to the windward side to form an insulating block. It is aslo great for sitting around camp, I can drape it over my shoulders or legs for warmth. Also, as it is synthetic, I can be confident that if something happened, and my sleep system got wet, at least I'd have something to keep me warm while the down dried out. in a word- flexibility.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi John

> I use the top bag for mid summer (August) and take along the quilt as an overbag for shoulder
    > season hikes (July and September) It is cheaper than me buying two bags, and more flexible.
    Yeah, we use this layered system as well. I like it for the same reasons.

Cheers

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools