Topic

MYOG: AlpineMid (SoloMid)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MYOG: AlpineMid (SoloMid)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!

Another vote for the quality of Tim's work here. the quilt he made me is flawless.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Did Thom ever get a prototype made?

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

I was lucky enough to get some insider information. I think some pictures will be posted in the coming weeks…I'm definitely looking forward to seeing the final product.

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

I contracted with BPL member Tim Marshall to sew a silnylon version of the AlpineMid. The first shelter has been completed and has gone missing in the USPS system somewhere between Tim and I. We are still hoping that it will be either delivered to me or returned to Tim. I will be posting pictures soon I hope. If the shelter remains missing I will have Tim make a new version and post pictures and updated information when completed.

I appreciate the effort Tim has made in working with me to get this first shelter completed.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

i was hoping to get to the post office today and try and figure this out, but they were closed.

My wife shipped this for me and i forgot to have her get the tracking and delivery confirmation. It seems like the one time you skip it is the one time it actually was needed.

-Tim

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

The shelter arrived late today, at last. I will try to set up and post pictures tomorrow.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

What a relief!!!!

-Tim

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

I will try to set up and post pictures tomorrow

At least throw it on a scale and let us know what is weighs! :) …how does it look? What is your first impression? Colour? Sorry, I'm just excited….

Boozer
    BPL Member

@anywayoutside

Locale: South East

Thom…This no time to rest on your laurels, go outside and set it up. Get a headlamp and turn on the flash on your camera. It's just your yard, and your neighbors already know you're crazy.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

i am pretty sure it was 10.5oz in the stuff sack

-Tim

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Steve,
    The AlpineMid color is gray 1.3 silnylon body with black 1.9 silnylon pole sleeves and tie out reinforcements.

Weight complete is 10.5 oz, (I'm very pleased with this).

First impressions are very positive. Tim did very nice work. I will reserve additional comment until having had the opportunity to set up and inspect more thoroughly.

Having completed this first shelter I have identified, with Tim's input, changes that will be incorporated in the next version. Hopefully I will be able to keep Tim interested enough to continue sewing for me.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

10.5 oz using 1.3 Sil is rather impressive – make sure to throw a bag and some gear in there aswell as some shots with you in it so we can get an idea of internal space – great project guys!

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Here are pictures of my silnylon AlpineMid, set up was indoors and in same location as original post. I will post outdoor setup pictures this weekend.

The AlpineMid measures 96" long x 42" wide x 42" tall and weighs 10.5oz in stuff sack. Set up as shown was using 135cm adjustable poles.

The AlpineMid staked out and ready to erect.
    Staked Out

Staked Out #2

The AlpineMid erected with view of Door side view.
    Door Side

The Peak Vented End view.
    End View

View of the non door side.
    Non door side view.

View with the door open.
    Door Open

Open

View of the interior looking at foot end.
    Interior  view

View of the interior looking at head end.
    Interior

Interior

View showing the peak.
    Peak

The peak vent.
    Peak Vent

Thom's MYOG AlpineMid
    Thom's MYOG AlpineMid (#1)

AlpineMid in sil stuff sack.
    Stuff sack

Stuff sack

I will be working with Tim M to produce a 2nd version that will address required modifications. I would also like work with Tim to make a future version using tyvek.

Thanks for looking.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Thom,
    Be proud!

It looks very clean, stable, an spacious.

Very nice job – to both of you.

Luke Ochsenbein

@lukeochsen

Locale: Ozarks

For a minimalist shelter that looks like it could fend off some fairly intense weather. Is it easy to increase length of the poles without taking the shelter down to tighten up a sagging pitch?

Either way, that is a great looking shelter.

What kind of seams were used to join the "triangles" together?

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

I'll be curious to see how the silnylon version does in rain. My concerns:

1. have to go outside and take poles out or mess with top attachment to adjust for sagging
    2. length with sagging may put condensated fabric in your face

tyvek may work better with the small dimensions due to less stretch.

Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

Locale: Northwest US

Congratulations on your excellent design, Thom, and on your craftsmanship, Tim.

For good stability in wind, headroom, a small footprint, and light weight this is a very impressive shelter. Thanks for keeping us informed of this project.

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Greg / Luke,
    Thanks for the comments. My pictures do not clearly show the quality of Tim's work. He did a very nice job and was very good to work with.

I will be having Tim complete a 2nd AlpineMid as soon as his schedule allows, this 2nd shelter will incorporate minor design changes that I will be making.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Leslie,

I used a combination of french and flat felled seams. However in future versions i will use all flat felled as it is easier to line everything up as french seams require you stitching off your seam line and turning the fabric inside out. I love them for ridge-lines in tarps though as i think they are a little stronger and come together faster. However a flat felled seam is much better for the mid as all the panels will meet at the peak and they need to line up perfect(well nothing has to be perfect, but you get it)

-Tim

Thom, was the black stuff sack i sent too small or did you just want a gray one?

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

My favorite color is black, but the gray stuff sack shown in the pictures posted was a better fit. I will provide the size for future shelters, thanks.

I appreciate you taking the time to answer sewing related questions, your workmanship is very nice. Thanks again.

JT Croteau

@tobit

Locale: Shadows of the White Mountains

Thom – any updates on this? Looks like you were off to a great start with this.

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

I hope to have Tim M sew version two for me soon. I will post an update and pictures when able.

JT Croteau

@tobit

Locale: Shadows of the White Mountains

Excellent, I need to start talking with Tim about a new shelter for me and leaning towards some type of solo 'mid.

Jon Danniken

@jonnycat5287

Neat looking tent and design, I'm starting to feel motivated to hack myself out another shelter!

One question though, it seems to ride pretty close to the ground. Is this just a function of the way it is configured in the pictures, or does it really sit that close to the ground? My thoughts are wondering how well it is ventilated without a perimeter rise of some sort.

Again, great looking shelter!

Anton S

@maelgwn

Locale: Flinders Ranges, South Australia

Do you mind if I ask how much it cost? I have an idea for what I think I want in a Mid but wondering if going custom will cost heaps more?

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 53 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools