Topic

Handle Removal: BPL 550

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Handle Removal: BPL 550

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

I want to slide some sil tubing onto the handles of my pot (worked great on my SP700). The handles don't come off as easily though and I don't want to damage anything.

My question is if I pry a little harder, will they come off safely, or will I mess it up?

Thanks in advance,
    Todd

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

Pull them evenly from top and bottom. They'll come off OK. You may have some trouble getting them back to their original shape, when reinstalling them. I'd try using a vice, once you get the ends started.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Thank you, Denis,

I'll report back!

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Todd,
    Is there a particilar reason you need the original handles? You may be able to save about an ounce by removing the handles and installing a bicycle spoke bail. It is a bit of very careful surgery with a Dremel tool, but it works. Take a look in the MYOG forum. If you can't find enough detail I might be enticed to photo the whole process. Or maybe Jason Klass has something on his website.

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Todd,
    I found a description of the Dremel Tool process.

"Removing the handles was quick and easy with a Dremel and one heavy duty emery disc cutting wheel. I cut into the plate that holds the handles to the mug at each of the eight spot welds in four spots forming a square exactly on the edge of each spot weld. You have to use patience and care here not to go too deep into the plate or you will dip into the mug surface (like I did, umm. where's my JB Weld). When you have gingerly grinded into the plate about 1/64" pry it up a little and see if it tears up around the spot weld. Do this with each one. Later you can go back with a file and level the extra metal at each weld to get a flush surface."

Hope this helps you understand the process.
    FireLite Titanium post with Ti Spoke bails
    Here's a photo of my Ti pot bail handles. These are all BackpackingLight Firelite SUL pots, but I have done my MSR Titan Kettle and my Evernew .9L also.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools