Topic

First Sub-10 Trip

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports First Sub-10 Trip

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Nate Meinzer

@rezniem

Locale: San Francisco

So I tried out my first UL trip. Started out in San Francisco, marched across the GG Bridge and up to Muir Beach on the Coastal Trail. Then I used the Heather Cut-off to the Coastal View Trail and stayed the night at Pantoll before catching a ride home.
    ===========================
    Here's a list of my gear (or most of it):

REI Kilo Flash Women's Reg 18
    Big Agnes Air Core (no stuffsack) 21
    GG Thinlight 2
    MSR Pocket Rocket 3
    IsoPro 4oz fuel 8
    SteriPen Adventurer 3.6
    Nalgene 32 oz bottle 3.5
    Smartwool Light Hiker Socks 2.6
    Petzl Tikka Headlamp 2.75
    Duofold polypropylene pants 6
    5×9 SilTarp 8
    NorthFace Recon 18
    HeatSheets Bivy 4
    REI TiWare Mug 2.4
    BPL Pillow 0.9
    Hat 3
    Motorola Razr Phone 3.5

Total 6.89

I modified my old North Face Recon backpack and it worked great. Pretty roomy, so not sure I'll be getting a new pack right away. For a bivy, I used an Adventure Medical Kits HeatSheets that I modified with velcro for easy access. Though I don't think I really needed it since it was so dry and marginally warm.

Also, I took a hint from some a MYOG thread here and added a band of ribbon to the sleeping pad to hold my BPL pillow in place and it worked great. Made a little dimple for that cradled my head nicely. In the future, I think I may add velcro to the tarp so I can slight my windshirt over the "door" and attach the sides to the tarp to get more coverage.
    ===============================

All in all, I had a really great time and was astonished at how far I was able to get with a light pack (about 15 miles!!) I've never hiked so far in one day, and it taught me….that I need better shoes.

Oh, and I saw a bobcat on the Heather Cut-off Trail, which was just the icing on the cake.

Here's a pic of my tarp (Thanks Ken Thompson):

Tarp in "Monk" Set-Up

and the view (shoddy with the camera phone) of San Francisco from the coastal trail:

san Francisco from the Coastal View Trail

J B
    BPL Member

@johannb

Locale: Europe

Can you reuse the Heat Sheets Bivy?

Nate Meinzer

@rezniem

Yes. Though it will never roll as small as it comes originally, and when cutting it you have to stay on the seam because the material will rip easily. I would think it could work for a week or so if you are careful to avoid rocks and use it as a supplement to a tarp. In case of a downpour I planned on using my pack liner to add extra protection.

Roger B
    BPL Member

@rogerb

Locale: Denmark

Well done a nice and simple overnight trip something many of us do and as you have shown it is easy to get a very light pack for such a trip. I also like that you used a 5 by 9 tarp as I think that a 5 by 8 can be a little short. Did you make your own tarp?

Nate Meinzer

@rezniem

I purchased it from a member here. Worked great and was affordable.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Congrats on your success! Don't you wonder what you were carrying the other stuff for? Glad the tarp worked out for you. I was stoked to see a photo of it so soon!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools