Topic

Fishing

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Roman Ryder
    Spectator

@romanla

Locale: Southwest Louisiana

I've been watching way too much Survivorman lately, so I've been working on my survival kit. I picked up some #4 hooks, various weights, and some 10# string today. I was thinking about setting up a couple of 1ft pieces of string with a hook and weight ready to go. Then if I needed to use them, I could just break apart some paracord and use a fisherman's knot to attach them together. I haven't done much fishing since I was a kid…does this sound like a plausible way to catch some fish?

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Hey Roman, I am not sure if that would work are not, but check out Gofastandlight.com They have a good selection of very lightweight fishing gear. Good luck with the fishing!

-Jay

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

I've seen a ton of fish caught like that in Mexico, using a beer can for a reel.

Dennis Park
    BPL Member

@dpark

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

If you're planning on throwing the line in and allowing it to hit bottom, I would suggest dipsey type of sinkers and tying them at the end with a hook tied in with a Palomar knot (instructions easily found by Googling). This will give you the best distance with least personal risk. If you are going to use a bobber then almost any terminal tackle setup will work. I would suggest a slip float for the same reasons as the first set up. If you're not familiar with this gear, examples can be seen on Bass Pro Shops website with similar terminology.

Forgot: If you like Les, then consider the fly rod option that he used on the episode with horses. As with most of UL gear, pay a lot more to get a lot (weight) less.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

If the objective is to keep your kit small, check out http://www.streamlines.com I can cast this just about as far as a spinning reel. I can not catch fish with this setup just as well as a regular setup;-)

Richard Scruggs
    BPL Member

@jrscruggs

Locale: Oregon
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools