Topic

WINTER EXPEDITION LIST (long and cold)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists WINTER EXPEDITION LIST (long and cold)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

WINTER GEAR LIST
    for long cold expeditions:

NOTE from Mike! :
    This is n overview of what I take as an instructor on a winter NOLS course (the students usually take more). As I look at this list, it is decidedly NOT lightweight. I will make a follow-up list (and then camp and test it with a prudent winter set-up in a more lightweight style. Winter is cold and travel requires gear, so it is very difficult to truly out "light"

Lots of explanations and self editorializing in this long-winded posting. Sorry, no weights given. I would start to cry if I totaled it all up.

When I winter camp, I concern myself (in this order) with personal comfort, efficiency and then (finally) lightweight. I don't note SAFETY, because that is inherent in comfort. Cold is a serious hazard.

1. COMFORT
    3. EFFICIENCY
    3. LIGHTWEIGHT

This list is for my role as a NOLS winter instructor. This means (approx.) 12-days in the mountains camping. The team is (approx.) a total of 13 team-mates (10 students, 3 instructors).

The GOAL is to camp and travel in a winter mountain environment with a focus on safety and leadership. We travel in avalanche terrain, and these skills this is a key part of the curriculum. We also ski a lot! These courses are amazingly rewarding.

When I winter camp in the Northern Rockies, I never bring a tent (sometimes a tarp) so I need to cook outside.

I'll add that I also bivy out under the stars if the weather is calm. And the calmest night's are usually the coldest. My record for sleeping out, no shelter, no ground cloth, no bivi-sack is about 38 below zero. I have a VERY warm down sleeping bag.

Here's my layering system for a long format winter camping trip (10 days or more)
    C L O T H I N G S Y S T E M :
    ==========================

1. TORSO – long sleeve light weight poly top (LW capaline)

2. LEGS – light weight poly bottoms (LW capaline)

3. My onesy – One piece pile (100 weight) outfit (sleeveless with a vest looking top) Full leg zippers, and half moon bomb bay butt-flap.

4. TORSO – Hooded light weigh pile (100 weight) jacket, with arm-pit zippers, full front zipper, and lots of pockets (more on those below).

5. LEGS – GoreTex bibs with full side zip legs.

6. TORSO – Light weight wind-shirt (Sometimes I travel with this instead of the GoreTex parka)

– – – – The above 6 items are my primary body layers. I put these on inside a building *(usually my house) and I take these off (up to 30 days later) before stepping into the shower. THese remain on for the most part CONTINUOUSLY for the entire time! (Note: I try to always sleep in my bibs, unless they are really wet and caked with ice)

– – – – The ability to have a lot of zippers is essential to my "system" – This is (for me) really helpful in the comfort and efficiency department. Using the side zip pants I can vent heat very efficiently. Skinning uphill, I open up all my zippers and thermo-regulate without removing many clothes, and skiing down hill, I zip up and save that heat loss.

A. Cocoon hooded parka [insulating]

B. GIANT down parka. I mean BIG and warm (NOT lightweight) [insulating]

C. Feathered friends full zip DOWN pants. [insulating]

D. Light weight hooded GoreTex parka, with pit zips and full front zipper. (XXL sized to fit over EVERYTHING)

* Plastic Tele Boots with therma-Flex inner liners
    * One pair of socks (I do NOT wear liners)

* Big Glove Shells
    * Probably 6 pairs of liners in various thickness, all synthetic pile.
    * a pair of hard ware store work gloves with synthetic back and leather palm. (Most of my touring)
    * Big mittens

NOTE:
    I take a LOT of gloves. I like warm hands, I ski for fun, I dig a snow shelter to sleep, and I do a lot of avalanche analysis and snow study. Gloves get soaked, there is no "magic" glove system. I like warm hands! Changing the wet line to a dry liner is EASY! I dry the wet gloves in an inside pocket.
    * neck gaiter
    * silk weight balaclava
    * Sunglasses
    * Goggles (in hard case)
    * dry socks
    * Hot Socks (integral designs) sleeping socks

NOTE: I carry 4 pair of socks. I change them every day and I am always drying a pair in my "drying pockets" in my hooded pile jacket.
    * Full length EVAZOTE yellow pad (winter style)
    * 3/4 length thermarest pro-lite pad
    AVALANCHE GEAR:
    * Tranceiver and holster
    * Shovel (voile)
    * 230 cm probe
    * pit data kit (including data book)
    * Snow saw
    * ski poles (adjustable)
    * knee pads
    * Skins
    * kick wax (1 blue, 1 purple)
    * Sled duffel (a HUGE duffel for everything)
    * minimal stuff sacks
    * stove stand (hunk of ply wood)
    * THE NOLS FRY BAKE!
    * 4 liter titanium pot – with foam cozy
    * 2 liter titanium pot – with foam cozy
    * 2 lids (shared for 3 vessels)
    * stove fuel stored in 2 liter soda bottles
    * spatula
    * dip cup
    * the "lamp shade" (an aluminum pot retrofitted to cover the water pot, increases efficiency melting snow)
    * 500 ml nalgene water bottle (hot drink mug)
    * sun-block / lip balm
    * minimal repair kit
    * bandana
    * toiletries (minimal)
    * thermos

The list above is NOT lightweight. I simply cannot sacrifice safety and comfort (I need to monitor novice winter students too).

I cook outside in a snow kitchen, and I usually sleep in a snow shelter. I am VERY fast at digging, and I can create a home pretty quick.

When I work for the school I will often base camp near pristine ski terrain, spending up to four nights in one spot.

The areas I will travel are in the Northern Rockies (the Absorokas, the Tetons, the Gros Ventres, the Snake River Range, etc). Camping is between 9 and 11 thousand feet at a northern latitude in the heart of winter. (the sun goes down early, so a lot happens at night with a headlamp).

30 below zero is NORMAL at night. I've had 8 feet of snow fall during a 9 day course. I will be with a team of up to 14 or so, teaching winter skills. Last year we out in a major winter storm, our team (13 total) got stuck in snow shelters for 5 full days at 10,000 feet in Grand Teton National Park.

I'll add that I have skied some of the most amazingly perfect Rocky Mountain champaign powder, on long 2000 vertical feet runs, day after day, in the deep wyoming back-country, with a team of beginners – and then skied back to base camp (by headlamp), stood upright in the deluxe snow kitchen, brewed up a pot of Hot Chocolate with fresh Ginger – Eaten a greasy fried load of cheezy tortillas (with beans and rice and frozen chili peppers) – Sat around with the students (mug of hot tea in hand) and looked up at the trillions of stars as we re-lived the day – and then climbed into the igloo, warm, stuffed and tired – WHEW! (I'm gettin' all excited as I write this!)

(link)
    http://www.nols.edu/courses/locations/teton/skiing.shtml

Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

Locale: Himalayas

>35 degree below zero Feathered Friends Bag

Do you use this inside the igloo? I think it would be too warm, no?

Also, what do you think of the new grivel steel blade shovel. very light and innovative!!
    http://www.livefortheoutdoors.com/News-Landing/Search-Results/Gear-news/Snow-shovel-combines-the-best-of-both-worlds/?&R=EPI-11301

Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

Locale: White Mtns

wow, that is a serious list Mike. But if I were out that long in that kind of cold I agree that comfort would be more important than weight

What kind of headlamp do you take on a trip like that? I guess since you are carrying a ton anyways extra's batteries may not be a big deal.

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

I carry a TIKKA PLUS from Petzl.

I don't take extra batteries, I just put fresh batteries in before going into the field. I am very careful to always use the lowest setting. Also – inside the snow cave, the white snow surface is WONDERFUL for the low setting.

Joshua Gilbert

@joshcgil2

Locale: Seattle

Mike, what kind of pile jacket do you wear? I can't think of anything that fits that description (light, hooded, full zip, lots of pockets).

Why all the gore-tex? wouldn't softshells be ideal for these conditions? (if it's that cold, it's probably pretty dry right?) Is it for snow shelter building? Or as a safeguard aginst biting it while skiing?

Do you wear the MEC booties to bed? I was thinking about getting a pair of those (the lower topped ones), but I wasnt sure if they would be too stiff to sleep in.

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Q: Mike, what kind of pile jacket do you wear? I can't think of anything that fits that description (light, hooded, full zip, lots of pockets).

A: It's an MEC jacket, and I LOVE it for this purpose. THey don't make it any more. Too bad.
    This is close:
    http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442619455&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302698749&bmUID=1229058771779

Q: Why all the gore-tex? wouldn't softshells be ideal for these conditions?

A: If I had another layer, I guess I would use that. I have done a bunch of long trips with just a wind shirt, and it was fine. The goretex pack-light jacet is pretty light.

Q: Do you wear the MEC booties to bed? I was thinking about getting a pair of those (the lower topped ones), but I wasnt sure if they would be too stiff to sleep in.

A: I do not wear them to bed, but I put 'em on when I wake, and walk around. I recommend them highly. I sleep in Integral Design HOT SOCKS, and I usually wear these in my booties in the AM.

Stephen Klassen

@steveyk

How much does the lamp shade weigh?

I use an outback oven cover for the same thing (it fits over my 4l MSR pot). The oven cover weighs around 100g and folds up small.

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

I've used the outback oven cover, and I really LOVE it.

The sad thing is that they are a little bit expensive and during "institutional use" (that means students) they get torched.

The lamp-shade weighs a whopping 10 ounces, but I KNOW it saves that much fuel over a long trip

pot

The lampshade (10 oz)old

old outback oven parka, damaged and hard to use

David Gever
    BPL Member

@dgever

Locale: Brooklyn

what are the day time temps like on these trips?

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

>>>>35 degree below zero Feathered Friends Bag

Question from Huzefa:
    Do you use this inside the igloo? I think it would be too warm, no?

My reply:
    Yes, inside the igloo, no bivy sack, no ground sheet. I've never been too warm. I tend to thermo-regulate really well. Others have said they can't do what I do, because they sweat too much. For whatever reason, I do fine.

If I feel too warm, I just open my sleeping bag up a little near my face

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Dave asks:
    "what are the day time temps like on these trips?"

It depends, winter in the rockies can be really nice, and at other times – well – really wintery.

It is very rare for the temps to go above 0 degree C (32 F). It's rare for a daytime temp to get much below -15 F, and that's not uncommon. Wind is more of an issue as far as needing to deal.

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

QUESTION:
    Also, what do you think of the new grivel steel blade shovel. very light and innovative!!

My Reply:
    The combo of plastic and steel seems like a good idea. Personally – I would want a real handle for shelter digging and for avalanche rescue.

I like the VOLIE when I dig because it has a LONG handle, and a nice sized (aluminium) pan. If the pan is too big, you can't dig efficiently for a shelter because each shovel full of snow is too heavy for long term use – my arms get really tired.

Too small , and you just cant' move enough snow fast enough.

The VOLIE is the perfect size for me.

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

This is a set of NOLS students using an avalanche probe to check snow depth for a snow shelter. We camped at this spot for a few days. Approx 9,000 fet above Jackson Lake.

snow

Here is an image from a cool photostream on FLIKR (photo by Brian Fabel)

Igloo building

Jon Rhoderick
    BPL Member

@hotrhoddudeguy

Locale: New England

Hey Mike
    How do you fare doing without any VB layers?

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

I would sometimes use VB socks on my feet. (I use cheapo plastic produce bags). But with the advent of thermo-flex boot inners, I don't worry about it any more.

I don't use any VB layers, I am good about venting my body when ski touring so I don't produce too much sweat.

Also – I don't sleep in any VB layers. I dry the bag out in the morning, and I'm fine.

I also camp in a VERY dry part of the world, the northern rockies in january is cold and has extremely low relative humidity.

M!

nanook ofthenorth
    BPL Member

@nanookofthenorth

Hi Mike, looks like I'm going to be doing some touring in the icefields this Jan/Feb and just wondering about pads?

I have a WM Puma and MEC overbag, was thining of just bringing the Puma – would have DAS parka and micropuff pants as backup in addition to 100 weight fleece hoody, 200 weight vest or another 100 weight pullover, and 300 weight fleece pullover (R2 highloft) and Micropuff vest pullover. Pants are patagonia Mixmaster's and Silkweight longjohns.
    I've used the system in -20C weather before and have been happy with it but I've never been to the rockies in winter and was wondering about your thoughts?

Pads wise I have a MEC bivy pad and BMW Toroslite which is great for 3-season use, but I'm wondering about adding another bivy pad vs. the regular yellow foamie, or vs. another bivy pad cut down for use under my hips/feet?

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Winter (or summer on glaciers in alaska) means you'll be sleeping on snow.

You'll potentially spending 1/3 (or more) of your time ON YOUR PAD. So, it's a key piece of gear that you'll really use. So, don't go too light. I worry the BMW Torso-Light might leave you a little cold at night (it will work, but you comfort is important).

In the summer in AK, on glaciers, I use a 3/4 length Therma-Rest and a full length MEC (yellow) Evazote BIVY pad(*) and it works well.

(*) they don't come full length, I had to glue two together!

nanook ofthenorth
    BPL Member

@nanookofthenorth

Thanks Mike! that's good to hear – I was worried that you would be using the 1cm pads AND a T-rest. I'll see how my pads work out and report back, cheers

tkkn c
    BPL Member

@tkknc

Locale: Desert Rat in the Southwest

Mike,
    Why don't you go with the thicker MEC pad?

Thanks

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Summer in Alaska is much warmer than winter in the northern rockies.

The 24 hour sun keeps the tent a lot warmer. So, no need for a full "WINTER" sleeping pad.

nanook ofthenorth
    BPL Member

@nanookofthenorth

so what would you use for winter in the Rockies? I've been told that .5cm of yellow foam would be OK under the Torsolite, and I was thinking 1cm of the yellow foam under my legs – but should I be reconsidering this?

Kathleen B

@rosierabbit

Locale: Pacific Northwest

"I will make a follow-up list (and then camp and test it with a prudent winter set-up in a more lightweight style."

Mike – have you done this yet?

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

I looked at the list, and this year (jan) I took pretty much exactly what is on the list (above).

So, I stand by the NON-lightweight list above. It's what I take.

I'll add that I got minor frostbite on my thumb. Not sure how, I might have gotten stove fuel on it while fixing a stove – not sure. Presently my thumb is fine, but I felt pretty dumb when it happened.

Jon Rhoderick
    BPL Member

@hotrhoddudeguy

Locale: New England

Hey Mike
    This list is one of the most useful posts in all of BPL, I'm glad you posted this!
    Jon

Nicolas Costes
    BPL Member

@ncostes

I can understand the purpose of the lampshade, but I have 3 questions:

1/ how does it interact with a stove windshield (do you still need one ?)

2/ what is the purpose of the lampshade parka ? (apart from showing off how many parkas you are carrying around ;-))

3/ can't you really convince Roger to conduct yet another scientific investigation of the efficiency of the lampshade for snowmelting and boiling water

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools