Topic

Nylon Shell Mittens

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Nylon Shell Mittens

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Craig Shelley

@craig_shelley

Locale: Rocky Mountains

I know, this is related to other posts but it is different too.

Many hiking books, such as Don Ladigin’s “Lighten Up!” recommend using a lightweight nylon shell overmitt.

I generally use Black Lightweight Patagonia Capilene glove liners. I find that they keep my hands plenty warm when I’m active down to the 20s or even 10s F. The advantage is I can easily use my camera, GPS, etc. without the glove getting in the way.

A very lightweight nylon shell overmitt for when it starts snowing, wind blowing, etc. seems like a good method to keep my hands warm. (I know, I can’t use the camera but under these conditions I probably would use it less or little anyway.)

I have never found any source for a nylon overmitt shell. Has anyone ever bought these, have them, had experience with this method, or made their own?

Craig Shelley

Craig S Stewart

@cstewart

Locale: Southwest Germany

I have had the same problem finding a UL glove/mitten shell. An UL Event shell may be coming out this spring, if you can wait. See this link.

http://www.ryanjordan.com/weblog/2005/11/the_death_of_ra.html

Craig Shelley

@craig_shelley

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Interesting, I haven’t checked out Ryan’s blog until recently and didn’t notice the blog entry on Overmitts before.

For this winter, I think I will make a pair. It will give me a little experience with a simpler sewing project.

Tony Burnett
    Spectator

@tlbj6142

Locale: OH--IO

Make sure you sew together a few mock-ups before you cut the real material. I was surprised at how difficult it was to get the pattern correct for a “simple” pair of shell mits.

Tony Burnett
    Spectator

@tlbj6142

Locale: OH--IO

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Thru-hiker has instructions for making simple fleece mittens. You might find them to be a useful starting point.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools