Topic

Down booties – do you bring ’em?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Down booties – do you bring ’em?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Yoyo
    Spectator

@dgposton

Locale: NYC metro

I'm curious to hear from the crowd whether you carry them and if so, what are your favorites. My wife gets cold feet, and I want her to be comfortable on our upcoming winter trip.

John Haley

@quoddy

Locale: New York/Vermont Border

When it gets REALLY cold I bring mine since I suffer from foot neuropathy and eventually the cold gets to them. I have the Feathered Friends Down Booties (4.4 oz/pair) and sometimes bring the soled exteriors so that I can walk outside with them.

FF Down inners and Evazote soled outer shells

Steven Nelson
    BPL Member

@slnsf

Locale: Northern California

I bring Feathered Friends down booties (with the removable WPB shell and sole).

They're not ideal – the sole is super-slippery on ice – but I like that the shell is removable so that the down socks can be used with a sleeping system, and the socks + shell can be used around camp.

I've recently started combining them with Croc-style shoes, sized up to accommodate the puffy down socks, and I like the combo (but not the extra weight).

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

My two cents….I have been snow camping once, this past Feb.

I took some 40 Below Booties, which are synthic and a pair is about 9 oz.

They do have a nice feature in that there is a foam foot bed that you can leave in or remove, depending on how cold it is.

Their website says that they have been used in the Artic.

They were very warm and walking around in the snow was easy, but the sole does not look any better than the FF.

-Tony

First Last
    BPL Member

@snusmumriken

Locale: SF Bay Area

I have Sierra Designs down socks. They are for wearing in the sleeping bag. Keeps my toes nice and toasty.
    Just put them on my postal scale – they weigh in right at 3 ounces for the pair.

Don Selesky
    Spectator

@backslacker

"the sole is super-slippery on ice"

Try running a few lines of Seam Grip on the bottom of the sole – it gives you much more traction.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Another vote for FF with the outer shell. Mine weigh 10.75 oz and I'd love to leave them at home, but they are so warm and toasty. It's nice to dry the boots out at the end of the day and let the feet breath. I sleep with them too.

Yoyo
    Spectator

@dgposton

Locale: NYC metro

Kristin,

Are you referring to these?
    http://www.prolitegear.com/cgi-bin/prolitegear/sierra_designs_womens_down_sleepies_sp_07

How cold does it have to be for you guys (and gals) to bring down booties? I'm looking for something pretty light, around 3-4 oz. I'm not doing any snow camping thus far–just camping in cold weather were there is little if any snow. I also don't plan on using them to walk around outside the tent.

The FF model looks to be 9 oz.

Has anyone tried these?
    http://www.nunatakusa.com/site07/booties/teanaway.htm

They weigh around 2.5-3.0 oz. Not sure if they are better than the Sierra Designs, but they are expensive at $115.

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

"How cold does it have to be for you guys"

I don't bring mine until it's snowshoe season…I'm guessing a solid -5*C or so. If there is even a chance of it being above 0*C I would think they would not be required, but that just my opinion. Also, if you don't plan on walking around in snow, I wouldn't bother with the FF ones, unless you leave the shells at home and keep them for when you do decide to do snow trips.
    The teanaway slippers are awesome, but just a bit too fragile and low for my needs. When I get to camp and finish the chores, the boots come off and the down booties go on.

First Last
    BPL Member

@snusmumriken

Locale: SF Bay Area

Yes. The down socks I have are the sleepies. Got them on sale at REI last year or the year before. Think they were $10 on sale, maybe $20 full price.

I only bring them when I know its going to be below freezing.

john Tier
    Spectator

@peter_pan

Locale: Co-Owner Jacks 'R' Better, LLC, VA

JRB makes down sleeves, 5 oz/ pair, turn any vest into a jacket…multi purpose… they serve as sleep booties/socks also….pull over the foot to the ankle, leggins….when ready to get in the bag/quilt fold down the upper portion over the foot….Enjoy the night too.

Remember I'm biased.

Pan

Brian Barnes
    BPL Member

@brianjbarnes

Locale: Midwest

Jack, That's a good idea! What kind of loft and fill do these sleeves have?

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

I know TNF makes some in their Nuptse line that have a pretty durrable sole. I might have to get some if I can find a size 14 on sale and see if I can put my Kathoola Microspikes on them. They might end up being pretty good winter hiking boots for short jaunts. It would be cool to try them with Sierra Designs new booties also but they don't make a size big enough.

Anyone see anything in a size 15 beyond Nunatak as I just can't afford those?

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

Oh yeahhhhh. Down booties'll put a smile on just about anyone's face on a winter trip. My ex used to steal mine all the time, even at home, so I finally had to get her a pair. Part physiological, part psychological. Bottom line, when it's cold outside, it's really nice to know your feet'll be warm n' toasty. Makes going to bed or wearing wet, cold boots much easier to take sometimes. I've been using SD booties, but like the FF and Nunatak; probably prefer FF for versatility.

Matthew Roberts

@matthewjamesroberts

Locale: San Fernando Valley

I like your croc shoes idea for an "around camp" shell. Easily slips in and out without requiring you to bend over. Great suggestion.

For a while I saw the croc-style brand "Nothings" everywhere. I think even Walmart was carrying them. They were wildly inexpensive, and were a light weight foam. Much lighter than croc's rubber.nothings

P. P.

@toesnorth

Locale: PNW

"My wife gets cold feet, and I want her to be comfortable on our upcoming winter trip."
    I understand. I have poor circulation and my feet tend to cold faster than anyone elses. Yes, I wear down booties, around camp and in the tent. In my sleeping bag I just wear wool socks.

"I like your croc shoes idea for an "around camp" shell. I think even Walmart was carrying them. They were wildly inexpensive, and were a light weight foam. Much lighter than croc's rubber."
    I bought the knock-offs at WalMart and my pair weighs 4 oz. I'm on my second year and they're still going strong.

Robert Bryant

@kg4fam

Locale: Upstate

Another vote for the Feathered Friends. The shell-inner system is great.

RC
    BPL Member

@demo

Locale: PNW

I was highly skeptical of the FF down booties until my first visit to their retail store. Simply put, get them without hesitation. There are cheaper ones on the market, but they just don't compare to these; they are the best.

My household has since become loyal to Feathered Friends — two bags, booties, vest and a jacket. Everything is made in their factory in Seattle.

john Tier
    Spectator

@peter_pan

Locale: Co-Owner Jacks 'R' Better, LLC, VA

Brian,

Missed your earlier question.

JRB Down Sleeves use 800pf down…. and loft to 1.5 inches.

Pan

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

Everyone should experience walking in fresh, cold snow in down booties once in their lives. Hard to describe this wonderful feeling.

We always bring down booties camping in the winter, they are our second pair of shoes.

Friends once made fun of my booties, so I took them to a wood-heated log cabin in the dead of winter (upstate NY) for a weekend. By the end they were fighting over my one pair.

For just warmth, not walking around in, we sometimes bring down socks.

Jonathon Rogers

@signet77

Locale: East TN

I use Integral Designs Hot Socks (4.7oz, Large) and Tyvek overboots (1oz) with Walmart blue foam inserts (2oz) for winter camping where temps will not go below the teens and keep comfortable. For temps down to freezing or just below, I'll use the overboots without foam inserts and keep plenty warm. I take off the overboots and sleep in the Hot Socks. Works well and pretty cheap plus no down to wet out.

That said, I'd certainly prefer the Forty Below or Feathered Friends booties at anything in the single digits or below Fahrenheit.

Christopher Chupka

@fattexan

Locale: NTX

I love my Nunatak quilts but the Nunatak booties feel like they have no support when you walk in them. You can walk around in fairly deep snow with the FF booties. The sole is very tough and the Epic fabric is worry free. I got mine in the cool pumpkin orange.

Monty Montana
    BPL Member

@tarasbulba

Locale: Rocky Mountains

The booties I have were made by Exit, weigh 10 oz, have tough cordura soles with a built in closed-cell foam footbed and ripstop nylon uppers. Because it doesn't get that cold here in the tropical PNW I seldom use them, but in Montana where it's commonly below zero I wouldn't think of heading for the hills without my booties. BTW the rough textured cordura helps with traction in the snow and a little bit of Granger's DWR helps with water repellentcy. No doubt about it, down booties are one of the coveted creature comforts when it's cold!

Luke Moffat
    BPL Member

@alaska_lanche

This is probably the first time Wiggy's products have EVER been associated with ultralite. However, I think they got a home run on this one. The lamelite insulation is great. Just used them on the last snowshoeing trip with my wife. With temps ranging from 15 down to -15 degrees F at night on the last trip these booties are super nice to sleep in. Especially when nature calls in the middle of the night ;). Super compact and my sz large weigh in at 8 oz and my wife's smalls are a shade under 6.5 oz. Anyways worth a look.

We will be doing another 3 overnight snowshoeing trip and anticipate temps in the -20s F at night and you better believe we will be bringing these along.

http://wiggys.com/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=95

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools