Topic

Patagonia Houdini $75: Many Sizes

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Patagonia Houdini $75: Many Sizes

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Paul I
    BPL Member

@piracki

Locale: San Francisco
    EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Or click here.

Chris Nott
    Spectator

@chrisn

Locale: Canada west coast

I was going to pick up a future replacement for my Ion but, ouch, that color.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Yeah, I was hoping to snag a blue Houdini. Sigh.

Christopher Plesko

@pivvay

Locale: Rocky Mountains

You guys complain about red sleeping bags and then don't want a natural green jacket? I have a DAS in more or less this color and it's great.

Andrew Richardson

@arichardson6

Locale: North East

No complaints about the color, but doesn't a houdini normally have pockets besides the chest one? I don't recall…

I know it says it is a houdini, but for some reason something seems different. Am I making things up?

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

No, no hand pockets.

Joshua Gilbert

@joshcgil2

Locale: Seattle

I think that the old versions didn't have a stand up collar like this one does. that's the main difference I'm seeing.

Ashley Brown

@ashleyb

Well the houdini has been discontinued right? So better grab one quick while you can, even if the colour is pretty ugly.

Ben — I hear ya. I wanted blue too, but it only came in "women's". Not sure whether the women's cut was much different, but I decided not to risk it. Ended up getting a black houdini since I doubt I'll ever want to wear it when it is hot and sunny.

Ashley Brown

@ashleyb

> I know it says it is a houdini, but for some reason something seems different. Am I making things up?

The collar looks slightly different to mine but that's about it. I don't think it is one of the 2008 Spring colours, so it must be from 07 or 06. The design is pretty much identical though, and there are no other pockets besides the chest one.

nanook ofthenorth
    BPL Member

@nanookofthenorth

lol, google, 'Patagonia' and, 'M.A.R.S.' There's a reason it has a standup collar, lol.
    This years DAS on their site for 135 US in , 'Alpha' green.

Jolly Green Giant
    BPL Member

@regultr

Locale: www.jolly-green-giant.blogspot.com

The Houdini hasn't been discontinued. I spoke with Patagonia about 2 weeks ago regarding this jacket and they said a new version would be released in Jan/Feb 2009. I have no idea what the changes will be if any. They did say it wouldn't be made out of microlite (my choice).

Thanks for posting this sale though as buying an old one is fine by me. I'm an XXL guy and rarely have any luck finding anything which fits as XL is usually as big as it gets. Being that I prefer my stuff in any shade of green, and being that this saved me a ton of money even if I could find one some place else, to me this is perfect.

THANKS!

Andrew Richardson

@arichardson6

Locale: North East

Hmm..I wonder what the new fabric will be. Part of me wants to get this, but I'm trying to be good and purchase what is only in my means right now. This and the SUL ti pots are too tempting!

Hopefully the new Houdini is an improvement. History tells me that it will somehow be worse, though I hope I'm wrong!

I just have to keep thinking about saving for a tarp/bug protection. It will be worth it!

Ashley Brown

@ashleyb

> The Houdini hasn't been discontinued. I spoke with Patagonia about 2 weeks ago regarding this jacket and they said a new version would be released in Jan/Feb 2009.

Aha. You're right. Someone said it had been discontinued in a thread about a month ago. Just checked the thread and it has been edited to say that the houdini will be back. Anyway, that's great news… I thought it a great pity that they would be ditching the houdini (again).

Chris Nott
    Spectator

@chrisn

Locale: Canada west coast

I prefer a light colored windshell so that I can use it as a anti-bug layer in bright sun conditions. Blending into your surrounds isn't such a great idea if the grizzly just up-wind of you doesn't see you coming when you aren't paying attention. Or if there are hunters around.

I would see a red sleeping bag as ideal – the perfect colour for a large signaling device in an emergency.

Tim Hollingworth

@timh

Locale: Northwest Georgia

Anyone have any ideas about how they fit? Do they run large or small?

I'm 5'8", 185lbs (nowadays).

If it helps, I own a Marmot Precip jacket in size medium that I wear over a cotton t-shirt just to beat around town and it fits perfectly.

I also tried on a Montbell Ex Light today in size large. I wore only a smartwool base layer and it fit well to -slightly- large.

-Tim-

Phil Brown

@pbrown19

Locale: Traverse City MI

They are $69 now. Just picked one up for next year :-)

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

I'm 5'8 and 165-170 and the medium Houdini fits perfect.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools