Topic

Supergaitors

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Mountaineering & Alpinism Supergaitors

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

Locale: White Mtns

Has anyone here used an insulated supergaiter for their winter endeavors? I use La Sportiva Makalus and on a few occasions my feet have started to get alittle cold (in extreme cold) even when I am wearing liner socks, VBL’s and Exp wool socks. Wearing any more layers in my boots makes them tight and cuts off circulation. So do they do the trick? One thing that I did do which helped was to put an aftermarket insole in the boot, which defiantly bumped up the insulation. Any thoughts?

larry savage
    Spectator

@pyeyo

Locale: pacific northwest

Last winter I switched to a neoprene sock with a synthetic liner. Before putting on the liner I rubbed mitchum deoderent on my bare foot, something from an old Chouinard catalog but I had never tried it. The neoprene sock came from nrs. I found this combination was just enough to make my makalus acceptable but I haven’t made it up to Alaska in a couple of years so I’m not sure how it would in bitter cold, it works fine for me in the other 49 states.

STEVEN DURGO

@sdurgo1

Ryan,
    I have used a pair of LaSportiva Trango Extremes for local ice climbing(New England) as well as Ecuador’s volcanos..I put the OEM supergaiter over the boots as well as an aftermarket insole. A thin wool/poly sock works just fine…The air activated toe heaters are a “back up” measure. Merry Christmas, Steve

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools