Topic

SUL 1100 Ti in stock again

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) SUL 1100 Ti in stock again

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Christopher Holden
    BPL Member

@back2basics

Locale: Southeast USA

I really expected Ti freaks to come out at night. Maybe that doesn't happen until our next full moon. Am I the only one that noticed these are back in stock? I already own one, but know that several people have been waiting for many months. Consider this your fair warning. For those that have been waiting, you can now begin frothing at the mouth. Game on.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

"Am I the only one that noticed these are back in stock?"

Christopher, the madness has already begun…I just didn't want to go public about it until my order was placed and confirmed… :)

now, I wait.

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

I ordered an 1100 and a 550 within moments of getting an email from BPL. As I logged off I could hear the mighty rumble and cloud of dust of the approaching horde. I got out just in time. I have framed the order confirmation and hung it in my gear closet.

Now I join those who… wait with Steve.

Scott S

@sschloss1

Locale: New England

Hmm, I'm tempted to pick up an 1100, but I'm wondering what people use to lift the pot (to move it from the stove to a cozy). If I'm going to have to carry some kind of pot lifter (like this one) I'd be better off getting a slightly heavier pot with a built in handle.

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

Hi Scott,

On my 1100, I recently made a small bail for the pot out of a bicycle spoke. It works really well and is removable. It weighs less that 0.1 oz.

Before I made the bail, I would just grab the pot with gloves, a bandana, or even my bare hands.

Cheers.

D G
    Spectator

@dang

I've had a 1100 pot from early on to use with my bushbuddy and just yesterday received a Firelite 900 pot. To my surprise the bushbuddy fits perfectly inside the 900 pot if you attach the lid upside down! In fact, it fits so good that I'm thinking of using my bushbuddy with the 900 pot now instead of the 1100. Total weight bushbuddy + 900 pot is 7.7 oz. I actually like the 900 pot more since it's a little shorter and easier to eat out of.

Looks like the 1100's are still in stock but I thought others might be interested if they miss out on the 1100 pots.

Andrew Richardson

@arichardson6

Locale: North East

Hey Daniel,

Think you can post pictures of the BB in the 900? I have a snowpeak right now and the stove rattles lightly which is annoying. I would get the 1100, but the 900 seems like it would be good enough if the pot really does fit as great as you say.

Thanks!

Christopher Holden
    BPL Member

@back2basics

Locale: Southeast USA

Andrew,
    After all of your posts about the SUL 1100, I think you should be obligated to purchase one, maybe even two!
    Chris

Brett Tucker

@blister-free

Locale: Puertecito ruins

>>On my 1100, I recently made a small bail for the pot out of a bicycle spoke

A guitar string can also work as a bale. Something like a round-wound D string would strike a good balance between lightweight/flexibility and hand comfort. I've yet to see any comparative boil time tests performed before and after drilling the two tiny holes in the sides of the pot for the baling wire.

I agree that an SUL pot lifter would be a worthwhile addition to the Cooking/Hydration dept.

Roger B
    BPL Member

@rogerb

Locale: Denmark

In my view gloves or other items carried will work with all pots whether used with a Bushbuddy or a Caldera, I do not carry pot lifters for any stove I carry.

My 2 Dkk worth.

Andrew Richardson

@arichardson6

Ha ha…Yeah, I think you might be right Chris except I'm poor now! I figure one of these should turn up in Gear Swap now that they are on sale again. I'm using the scavenger approach to new gear! :-)

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Hi Andrew,

I'll see if I can post some pictures tonight of the BB in the 900.

Are you using a snow peak 900? If you don't like the rattling I would not recommend either the Firelite 900 or 1100, as they have an ever so slightly larger diameter than the snow peak 900. The Bushbuddy fits a little better in the snow peak 900, in my humble opinion.

Dan

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

grab

(a)
    AUTO SUPPLY CHANNEL LOCK tiny pliers / 1.5 oz
    THese are steel, and the best and most stable. Expensive but last for ever. Might have multi use applications if there is a repair, like pushing a needle thru shoe leather.

(b)
    TRANGIA pot grabbers / 0.7 oz
    THe lightest, but VERY flimsy. Only for very small pots! Be careful! THese come with the Trangia cook set.

(c)
    MSR min-grabbers / 1.1 oz
    These bend over time, and become useless. Aluminum. THese come with any MSR titanium pot. Also available after-market.

(d)
    MSR standard pot grabber / 1.5 oz
    Tried and true design. These come with any MSR aluminum cook-set pot. Same weight as Auto channel lock, but much less versatile. Aluminum.

==

The above is a list of store bought pot grabbers. Alcohol has burned my hands more than once, and I've seen melted gloves and windshirts. I like a sturdy way to hold a pot of (potentially dangerous) boiling water.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> MSR min-grabbers / 1.1 oz
    These bend over time, and become useless.

I have had mine for a long time, used them in France for 3 months straight, haven't had any problems with them at all. Just like new still. But I do treat them carefully.

Cheers

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

I've used them over back to back NOLS courses, with students who aren't always so delicate. And with heavy 2-liter pots of water.

The school has a box of these, and they are showing their extensive use. It's hard to hold a pot with a lot of them.

Andrew Richardson

@arichardson6

Hi Dan,

Very interesting! I thought the fit was perfectly snug in the bpl ti pots. If the BB fits better in my snowpeak 900 than I'm all set!

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

I've posted this picture a few times before, but here is my use of a titanium rod as a bail on a cookpot.

Bushbuddy, Snowpeak 900mL w/ custom lid and bail

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Sam, Hey – I have a home-made titanium wire handle too!
    .handle wire

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Size comparison, 900 and 1100 pots. 900 has bushbuddy inside with inverted lid.size comparison
    Inverted lid. As can be seen, it's a perfect fit.lid fit
    There is about 1mm clearance between lid and top of bushbuddy.Clearance

D G
    Spectator

@dang

7.7 oz total weight, bushbuddy and FL900 pot. Wire bail will add 0.14 oz.Weight
    Wire Bail made from 15 gage stainless bicycle spoke. 0.14 oz. Holes in pot punched with a Harbor Freight Tools PunchBail

David Stenberg
    BPL Member

@dstenberg1

Locale: South

Thanks for the pictures! that is why BPL is so great!

Decisions, decisions. May be I need a 1100 and a 900. I am sure I can talk myself into anything.

Andrew Richardson

@arichardson6

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the pictures! They are great and really helpful. It looks like the bushbuddy fits great in the 900. Is your bushbuddy pushed against the side of the pot in that picture showing the lid and 1mm clearance? I ask because it sure does look tight compared to how my bushbuddy fits in my snowpeak 900.

So just to be clear, your take is that the bushbuddy fits tighter in the snowpeak 900 than it does in the BPL Ti 900?

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Hi Andrew,
    My bushbuddy fits pretty good in the snowpeak 900, probably a 1-2 mm clearance all around. It does not really rattle around, but there is some space. When I was using that pot I generally had the bushbuddy in a small plastic bag and inserted that inside the pot, and it was a nice snug fit. This was really unecessary, and I don't do it anymore.

The firelite pots are just slightly larger, maybe a couple of mm. The bushbuddy fits good inside, but it's not a snug fit.

How much clearance is there between your bushbuddy and the walls of your SP900? Sounds like a lot.

Andrew Richardson

@arichardson6

Hmmm…when I just checked there was only a small gap between the stove and the pot. I guess it doesn't really rattle too much, but I can definitely hear some metal clanging when I shake it gently. I thought it was a lot more, but now that I've looked I guess it isn't that much. I guess I just expected that the firelite pots to fit the bushbuddy perfectly! The space on the snowpeak isn't an issue though. I guess I was over exaggerating :-)

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

Here are my FireLite 550, 900, and 1100 pots with Ti Spoke bail handles. They weigh 3 grams each or less, are removable, and work great.

FireLite Titanium post with Ti Spoke bails

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools