Topic

Metamorphosis 3: Walking the Edge

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Metamorphosis 3: Walking the Edge

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Addie Bedford
    BPL Member

@addiebedford

Locale: Montana

Companion forum thread to:

Metamorphosis 3: Walking the Edge

JASON CUZZETTO
    BPL Member

@cuzzettj

Locale: NorCal - South Bay

I really liked this article. A realistic understanding of changes I have gone through; and with some new information thrown in. I really feel for the friend because I hurt my knee a few years back and it is just now getting better.

I love to see more of these articles.

Judi Henson

@ritzhenson

Locale: The Deep South

I love reading these articles as well, i'm just beggining the trail to U.L. and every little bit of real experiance, mine or someone elese's, helps a great deal! KEEP IT UP.

Brian Barnes
    BPL Member

@brianjbarnes

Locale: Midwest

Nice work. Great read…

RC
    BPL Member

@demo

Locale: PNW

Great article and great report! Curious though, which "flavor" of Dr. Bronners did the author try? If peppermint isn't your thing, give the Tea Tree a try.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Looks like a cool trip, I'll have to get in there next summer.

But.. 3 (three!) t-shirts!! Are you worried that you'll smell!?

Jason Brinkman
    BPL Member

@jbrinkmanboi

Locale: Idaho

"I know you guys aren't impressed. However, thirty-five-ish pounds as a total weight was about to make a universe of difference."

Compared to the traditional weights you came from, 35 pounds should have felt heavenly! Comfort is different for everyone, but I found that I noticed major improvements everytime I dropped even a little total pack weight… from 45 down to 40, down to 35, down to 25, etc… until I got below 20 pounds total pack weight. Below 20 pounds it all feels about the same to me – that is that it really doesn't noticably affect my stamina.

I've had similar experiences to you when hiking with "un-enlighted" companions. It usually only takes one trip to get them looking into lightweight methods! And usually I feel guilty and end up carrying some of their stuff in the meantime.

I really enjoyed my own metamorphosis process, and it has been fun reading about yours – thanks for sharing.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

Is that a Golite Infinity pack?

Nathan Boddy
    BPL Member

@nnboddy

Locale: Hamilton

I really appreciate the comments on this article! I had a great time getting down to that base weight, and have enjoyed going further.

The Dr. Bronner's was peppermint and I look forward to trying another. Heck, even the peppermint is tolerable with a good rinsing.

Yes, the Golite in an infinity pinnacle.

Michael Landman

@malndman

Locale: Central NC, USA

"The Dr. Bronner's was peppermint and I look forward to trying another. Heck, even the peppermint is tolerable with a good rinsing."

There is more than 1 flavor now? WOW, talk about showing my age. I have been using that stuff camping for 35 some odd years and never bothered to look at anything that was not in the familiar blue labeled bottled.

Blink…blink…blink…wow!

BTW…I loved the story, sorry to read about the weather.

Matthew Brewer

@smalladventures

Yeah, when I started back packing I tried using Dr. Branuers…. ew. It took a few months for me to smell it without wincing. Baking soda on the other hand works well and doesn't taste as bad. Tooth powder can also be bought at co-ops/health food stores and lasts forever. I switch between baking soda and tooth powder even at home.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools