Topic

Recommendations for CO backpacking trip

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Recommendations for CO backpacking trip

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Luke

@rluke

Locale: Atlanta (missing CA)

Some "wishes" (but not necessarily requirements)

1. Lots of water (lakes or streams)
    2. Good trout fishing (fly or spinning)
    3. Realtively isolated
    4. Peakbagging opportunities
    5. Good high elevation scenery

Trip will probably be 6 days
    Like to average 10-15 miles/day
    We may (or may not) bring the dogs

I have heard good things about the Weminuche Wilderness Area, but I am open to ANY suggestions in CO. Thank you for your input.

Brian Barnes
    BPL Member

@brianjbarnes

Locale: Midwest

I haven't been but hear good things about the flat tops wilderness area. Seems to meet your criteria.

Peter Sustr
    BPL Member

@czechxpress

Locale: Boulder

What time of year are you going? I have a couple of ideas if you can tell when you want to go.

Ryan Luke

@rluke

Locale: Atlanta (missing CA)

We are going to shoot for mid to late June, but if your area has an ideal time our schedule is flexible enough to adjust.

Thanks!

David Palmer
    BPL Member

@djpfive

Locale: Arizona

If you want good high elevation trout fishing, July or August are probably better bets in my opinion.

Jed Augustine
    BPL Member

@jaugusti

Locale: Appalachians/Rockies

Take a look at the Elk Mountain range. I did an Outward Bound course there (my intro to lightweight backpacking!) and thought it was wonderfully beautiful. There are a heap of peaks out there, the beautiful Maroon Bells among them. I think Snowmass mountain is the highest you can bag without getting technical. We only did something like 60 miles over 18 days, but you could definitly get a lot more out of the area than we did.

Here's a taste! For what its worth, these photos were taken from late June to mid-July after a low snow winter. The only ones I have on this compûter seem to be taken at sunset or sunrise…

Treasury Mountain, maybe

Sunset somewhere

Moonrise

Bear Mountain

Another sunset after a rainstorm; the exact location escapes me

Another sunset, forgot where exactly!

Treasury Mountain and Sawtooth on the right

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools