Topic

Net Hood

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Net Hood

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    darren stephens

@darren5576

Locale: Down Under

G'Day
    I have collected all my material and I’m about to make a bivy. Its going to be sil bottom and momentum on the top with a zippered closure across the top and a short 24" sip on the side. I'm thinking along the lines of a soul side zip, BZMW side zip etc. The problem is i have never seen a bivi in the flesh, only the pics you can get on the net.
    The question i have for you is the net. Now I’m thinking of a separating zipper across the chest with 2x sliders to allow it to be opened from the center out, then a simple zipper on the side. I’m thinking the nano bivies use similar with a net that has matching separating zippers on each side to form a net insert.
    I’m also guessing the mld bivies sew the net on the chest side and put half a separating on the other side.
    Some questions, are my assumptions correct? If not how are the nets attached? Does the net laying on your chest annoy you?
    Another option would be the ti goat full net hood method which I would like but the problem is I was heading for a 76" girth but i only have 36" separating zips. This will mean the 'tub' will extend up my sides slightly but if i have a full net hood that I simply lay on when I’m mot using it the opening will be reduced to 72" due to the top and bottom being not symmetrical.
    If there is anyone who has a bivi with a good set up or has any suggestions it would be appreciated
    Thanks Heaps
    Darren

Rod Lawlor
    BPL Member

@rod_lawlor

Locale: Australia

Darren,

Shoot down to Spotlight and pick up a few metres of calico, or even nylon shower curtain, to do a dummy run before you commit on the good stuff.

You don't even need to sew it, if you're not much of a sewer (that doesn't look right), although the sewing practice might be worth while too. You can always sew your zips into the dummy, and then unpick them for use in the real one.

Rod

darren stephens

@darren5576

Locale: Down Under

Rod
    Im already onto it, it cost too much to have the good stuff shippped fo me to wreck it .I have a roll left fom some earlier projects and im planning on a dummy run. Im just wondering how other people attatch there nets
    thanks mate
    Darren

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools