Topic

Stargazing

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Shane S.
    BPL Member

@grinder

Locale: P.N.W

Hope this is the right area….

Getting away form the city lights and stargazing up at the clear night skies in the backcountry is one of my most enjoyable and relaxing things to do. It’s amazing how many stars you can see. Watching Meteors flare across the sky is always thrilling.

What are some of the strangest things you guys have seen in the night skies in the backcountry that you couldn’t explain? Maybe even gave you the ebegebies?

UFO

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

During May 2002, five planets (six if you include Earth) were aligned. They were Jupiter, Mars, Venus, Saturn, and Mercury. To see them all you needed a clear western horizon and begin watching after sun set to see Mercury.

I walked from my house to find a good location and had a good show. Saw all five briefly. Then, except for Mecury, the others for a while. It was pretty cool. However, I did not think about walking back home through the woods at night with no light and Tevas.

Was worth it. I'd forgotten about it, but your post reminded me of it.

Another interesting thing I did see with my wife who reluctantly joined me after I woke her about 3am one morning was during a Leonid meteor shower. It was several years ago ('98 or '99). Was spectacular that year. Never has been close. We were lying in my driveway with blankets watching 3 to 4 per minute for about an hour.

Also watched the Hale-Bopp comet for come and go back in '95. That was quite an experience.

A few days ago there was a crescent moon and Venus and Jupiter in a triangle. Was like an upside down frowning face.

Had a great few of the Milky Way last year in Yosemite. I was lying halfway outside of my tarp so I could fall asleep as I watched it. Awesome.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools