Topic

Best Unlined Windshirt Under $50?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Best Unlined Windshirt Under $50?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Nick Chen

@fleetparadox

Locale: Socal

Hi there,

I'm looking to replace/supplement my Driclime Windshirt.

– Under $50 (the cheaper the better)
    – Hood preferred
    – Unlined
    – Full zip or half zip
    – Not overly fragile (the Driclime's shell thickness seems pretty durable compared to something like Pertex)

Not sure of all the options out there so I thought I'd ask for some opinions. So far I've noticed the Marmot Ion.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

YMMV. The primary use for my windshirt is to seal out the winds — esp. when at rest — but also when hiking in the shade with the winds blowing. Breathability is a good secondary objective as it reduces the number of times I need to put on / take off the jacket while hiking.

In a rain jacket — with 100% rainproofness a given — one would want the jacket to be as breathable as possible. However, when it comes to a wind jacket, more breathability is not always better. I wouldn't want my wind jacket to be so breathable as to overly compromise its primary objective.

I like my Marmot Ion. It's pretty breathable — much, much better than the barely breathable GoLite wind jackets of old — but not as breathable as the Patagonia Houdini. To me, the Ion strikes a good balance between breathability and wind blocking.

Doug L
    BPL Member

@mothermenke

Locale: Upstate NY

And it's on pretty steep discount:

http://www.4gearheadz.com/products.aspx?prod=000000552

nanook ofthenorth
    BPL Member

@nanookofthenorth

35 plus a bit for shipping, fairly sturdy, navy blue and mens medium

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

I have an XL Marmot Ion in blue I would let go for $25 and that includes the shipping

Jeremy Cleaveland
    BPL Member

@jeremy11

Locale: Exploring San Juan talus

thru-hiker.com Liberty Ridge windcoat
    you have to sew it (or find a friend that can), but it is a great pattern, easy to modify, and works well. The kit costs about $30, including the pattern, which you only need to buy once.
    My first LR is 4-5 years old, and has been used quite a bit, and is still going strong. It is made from the basic 1.1 oz ripstop, with a full molded zipper and hood, and only weights 3.5 oz!

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

I had some extra momentum laying about and had someone whip me up a jacket. works great.

Nick Chen

@fleetparadox

Locale: Socal

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Unfortunately I have no sewing experience (or desire to for an item costing under $50) so the kit/fabric ideas are out the window.

For those suggesting the Golite Windshirts, how do they differ from the Ion or Houdinis… etc…

The only windshirt fabric I've used so far has been the Marmot Driclime and I'd like to stay with something just as durable… the Golite fabrics I've seen (Whim) were a bit flimsy and seemed easily damaged.

Slo Hiker
    BPL Member

@slohiker

Locale: NC Foothills

My current windshirt collection:

Patagonia
    Houdini (full-zip w/hood)
    Dragonfly (partial zip pullover w/no hood)

Golite
    Whim (older version pullover with very short zipper)
    Whim (current version w/longer zipper – much better)

Mountain Hardwear
    Phantom Anorak/Pullover (1/4 length zipper)

The Patagonia shirts are the most breathable, but not the best in colder temps …. the Golite shirts are the best at blocking wind in colder temps ….. the Mountain Hardwear shirt is the best at repelling water, but too warm for milder temps. The Patagonia is the most fragile, the MH the most durable, followed closely by the Golite.

None of them are perfect for all season use IMO. But, if I had to choose only one, it would be the Patagonia full-zip.

Paul Tree

@paul_tree

Locale: Wowwww

Look at the pic at bentgate, it seems to show a much later model, unfortunately sold out. I have one of the old Ethers and while lighter, it is NOT breathable and the neck zip is short. About half the time I wear it pulled it up to expose my abdomen. The new fabric on the full zip is better, if you can find one.

Richard Matthews

@food

Locale: Colorado Rockies

My favorite windshirt is the Brawny from right hear at BPL. I like the option of layering under the winshirt. Zippers add weight and are something that can fail.

My GoLite Ether pullover is not designed to layer under the shirt, but that makes it a little warmer.

It is hard to find pullover windshirts, but I really hate to fumble with a zipper; in gloves; on a windy, exposed ridge.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools