Topic

Feather and Mountain: The Backpacking Light ICON

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Feather and Mountain: The Backpacking Light ICON

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

You will have noticed in our web upgrade this week that we launched the new company icon, a blend of a feather and a mountain.

In recent emails from BPL readers to me, I've learned that there is lots of underlying symbolism in these two images, especially as they relate to (of course) lightweight backpacking, but also to other life aspects as well.

So a question.

What does the feather and/or mountain mean to you? What do you think of when you see these two images together, in the form of this icon?

J B
    BPL Member

@johannb

Locale: Europe

What does the feather and/or mountain mean to you? What do you think of when you see these two images together, in the form of this icon?

All I can say is that my stuff has been getting lighter and lighter and this website has something to do with it. :-)

Of course it's not just the weight, but less weight means more fun.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Thank you for telling us what it is–I couldn't figure it out!

Matt Lutz

@citystuckhiker

Locale: Midwest

It means to me that there are always bigger outdoor treks out there and they can always be done with lighter gear.

Tom Caldwell
    BPL Member

@coldspring

Locale: Ozarks

For some reason, I keep seeing a brontosaurus.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

I see the feather, mountain and a Wooly Mammoth from a far. I like the image of escaping to the mountains UL. When are the stickers coming out?

Richard Matthews

@food

Locale: Colorado Rockies

I see a dream catcher.

Paul Tree

@paul_tree

Locale: Wowwww

Looking at the mini version in the address bar (Firefox), the white bits look like a trail runner shoe. Very appropriate!

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

…appears differently to different people. It's a visual backpacking "mondagreen".

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

I have my images turned off when visiting this site, so I can't see the logo. Sounds like it may be all things to all people ;)

Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

Locale: Middle Virginia

Tom: I laughed so hard at what you saw as the logo. I thought I saw a wooly mammoth!

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

You saw the mammoth! That's awesome!

But a brontosaurus, Tom? Duuuuude…watch those edible herbs…

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

How about this…
    The feather starting at the base on the right hand side of the mountain, sweeping the front, and then up and over provides a lightweight path in the form of a trail (helical up to the top) or perhaps switchback (common technique) to the summit or a goal. The mountain, in this logo, represents that of an obstacle, whether it be in the form of a physical mountain or just challenging terrain, which can be overcome using lightweight techniques.
    The Moral:
    When challenging terrain presents itself, a lightweight approach and path can overcome it.

err, wait, maybe it is a mammoth…;)

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

Well, OK, I just HAD to turn my images on long enough to have a look at this mythical beast. Instead all I saw was the head of a Pokemon lying on it's back gazing at the stars!! I think it might be snoring.

Roman Ryder
    Spectator

@romanla

Locale: Southwest Louisiana

I'm glad to find out that it's new. I noticed it the other day and thought I had been looking at it all this time without realizing it was a feather and a mountain. I was really glad when I saw this thread. lol It's a very clever design.

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

I see clouds that look like a Caldera Cone.

Andrew Richardson

@arichardson6

Locale: North East

I certainly see the feather and mountain, but I also see the brontosaurus and Mammoth. The trunk of the mammoth is the bronto's neck and the tusk is a little foot. Really, the tusk is more like a fin so maybe it's more like the Champ (or lochness monster if you aren't familiar with the Lake Champlain region of VT) but I can see why a Brontosaurus was seen.

Sweet logo though!

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

No matter how many times I look at it I always see some black hand gripping the handle of a trekking pole (that's the thumb over the mountain). Never even noticed the feather until Ryan mentioned it!!!

It could also be a white sperm whale swimming head partly down to the right, the swish going up its tail.

Or perhaps it's a crow's eye view of a cup of cappuccino with a swirl of cream in it?

Or the feather could be some person's big-lipped smile with a mop of well-groomed hair above and an eyeless face?

Sorry, I'm an illustrator, sooooo!

Tom Caldwell
    BPL Member

@coldspring

Locale: Ozarks

"I can see why a Brontosaurus was seen."

Thanks. Now, I don't feel so crazy. I must admit the big wooly mammoth is all I can see now…if only the locals would understand why I gotta wear a coat in the summertime.

Paul Tree

@paul_tree

White really advances, even as negative space. So, it's paradoxing itself a bit, rather than making a single solid statement, as logos are "supposed" to do. I like it more, more cerebral and mysteriously meaningful.

Regardless, here's a look with the colors inverted:
    sdfsdf

Paul Tree

@paul_tree

Mammut's mammoth, for your ogle:ogle

Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

Locale: Middle Virginia
    b hitchcock
    Spectator

@slowoldandcold

a logo that needs an explanation??— sorry but i think its back to the drawing board—

A. B.

@tomswifty

actually a logo is about brand recognition so they've done a great job by using mountains. very unique

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I see a feather and a toupee!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools