Topic

How hard is it to find denatured alcohol?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion How hard is it to find denatured alcohol?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Darwin Roos

@darwin

Locale: Bloomington, IN

How hard it is to find denatured alcohol for resupplies in the U.S. and overseas (especially Taiwan)?

Darwin
    [email protected]

xavier dor

@waluyo

Locale: A bit more East, a bit more North..

Hi Darwin

I was actually asking the same question in our french hiking light forum… 'cause I had hard time to find the alcool needed here in Ireland.

One of the members found those 2 links:
    http://www.mark-ju.net/juliette/meths.htm
    http://fuel.papo-art.com/#tableoffuelnames

there is nothing mentionned about Taiwan
    Hope it helps anyway

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

Hi Darwin,

In the States it's pretty easy, as you can find it at most hardware and paint stores. My understanding is it's pretty common in the UK and former colonies, where it's sometimes called "meths" (methylated spirit). Another hint is boating supply stores, as alcohol stoves are popular for boats.

Darwin Roos

@darwin

Locale: Bloomington, IN

Dear all,

Thank you for your input so far. I appreciate it.
    Take care.

Darwin

Nick C.
    BPL Member

@nixie

Hi Darwin,

With regards to the US: Don't forget that HEET (a gas line antifreeze comprised mainly of methanol) sold in the yellow bottle is another serviceable source of fuel for alcohol stoves. It can often be found at gas stations, auto part stores (such as NAPA), and some supermarkets.Heet - yellow bottle

In a pinch, 99% Isopropyl alcohol can be found in the first aid section of supermarkets or pharmacies and will also burn in an alcohol stove, though with a great deal of soot.

JASON CUZZETTO
    BPL Member

@cuzzettj

Locale: NorCal - South Bay

Not hard at all. I buy it by the gallon at Ace Hardware here in California. You can also buy it by the pint. It is usually in the painting aisle at the hardware or paint supply store.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools