Topic

Just-add-water Group meal ideas

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Just-add-water Group meal ideas

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

I know, I'm lazy, and I could probably search and find something, but oh well. I'm looking for some no-cook meal ideas, that ideally would be pre-mixed with store components, divided up amongst the group, and hot water added. Any ideas/links/sources? Thanks for the help.

Christopher Plesko

@pivvay

Locale: Rocky Mountains

http://www.freezerbagcooking.com

I usually just make up my own using couscous, pasta, rice or potato flakes but that site is great for recipes or just inspiration.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

I should have added that it needs to be something kids under 14 will eat too, not that they wouldn't eat the things you mentioned. I'll check out the web site.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

http://www.freezerbagcooking.com/dinnerpastaetc.htm#120881983

I'd cut and paste it, but it is a long one ;-) Nic over at BP.com forums gave me the idea and I tweaked it. It does take a little prep at home but works out.

If you are doing a group consider breaking the dinner down into courses on who carries/preps what:
    appetizer (hey you got hungry kids!)
    dinner
    dessert

A really popular recipe I get asked for often is cheesy bacon mashers. Cheap and good. Pudding in a bag is always snatched up……

Most teen guys like pasta, potatoes, rice, cheese, meat……make it simple and they will chow down.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Cheezy Bacon Mashed Potatoes

In a quart freezer bag:
    1 1/2 cups instant mashed potatoes
    1/4 tsp salt, if desired
    1/3 cup instant milk
    3 Tbsp cheese sauce powder
    Shelf stable bacon, to taste (2-3 Tbsp or more), leave in package.

Add the bacon to the dry ingredients.
    Add 2 1/4 cups near boiling water. Stir well, let cool a bit and eat.
    Serves 1 – 2, depending on how hungry. 1 for logger sized appetite, 2 smaller or if other food is present.

Notes: Shelf stable bacon is found in the meat department as well as near the salad dressings. Hormel is one brand and there are others. You can find it at Target as well. Most bags are around 3 ounces. If you divide a bag between 2 meals that works well. Once you open the bags, use them up within a day if outside.
    As for cheese sauce powder? You can get it in bulk bins and online. You can also use cheddar cheese. If you look in the cheese aisle they sell cheddar cheese in packs like string cheese. Use 1-2 per bag. Dice it up and fold in with water.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Thanks Sarah!

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

Joe – a great food addition is the homemade energy bar.

You will find my recipe at

http://www.backpacker.com/skills/12399?page=6

Scroll down to Snack #3 Blueberry-Banana Peanut Butter Bar

The nice thing is that you can get a few people in the group to make them using different fruit/nut combinations and that adds to the variety.

Monty Montana
    BPL Member

@tarasbulba

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Sarah, I was just wondering, since you undoubtedly have encyclopedic knowledge of suppliers, if you've ever run across Wilson's Compressed Bacon Bar or the Compressed Beef Bar. Each was about the size of a small bar of soap but equivalent to a lb of the undried, uncompressed meat. Once, every mountain shop that carried Kendal's Mint Bar also carried Wilson's. Now you can find neither in this country, but I'm told that Kendal's is still available in the UK. Ever run across Wilson's?

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Hmmmmmm…..my In-Laws go to England often (next month I get to go collect all my Kendal bars that my MIL brought back! Yay!). I will have to ask her if she has seen the bacon or beef bars – I remember those when I was young here.
    You got my mind wandering now!

This past summer I ordered a huge order of Kendal cakes from England. Oh man, do I miss them! Paying as much for shipping though was wallet crimping ;-)

Daniel Greenhouse
    BPL Member

@dghouse

I remember well the Wilson's Bacon Bars fromt he 1970s, but I just discovered a Costco product that may well serve the same purpose. It is crumbled (albeit not compressed) dry cooked bacon stored at room temperature until the package is opened. I just tried some and it is an excellent product. My guess is that you could carry some backpacking for many days in a cool climate without worrying about spoilage.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11302316&whse=BD_115&Ne=2167+4000000&eCat=BD_115|6221|90641&N=4047570&Mo=99&No=39&Nr=P_CatalogName:BD_115&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=…

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

How about a Westland Bacon Bar, 2 oz? Pre-fried bacon – diced & prepped, in a foil pouch. There is one sitting in my kitchen since about the time of the Truman Administration.

–B.G.–

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools