Topic

Patagonia Traverse Softshell Review

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Patagonia Traverse Softshell Review

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Addie Bedford
    BPL Member

@addiebedford

Locale: Montana

Companion forum thread to:

Patagonia Traverse Softshell Review

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Patagonia is a great company and has great product. Whats not to like. They may not be completly UL but thay make bombproof, weatherproof gear. They recycle and give back to the Earth. The Traverse looks like a great winter jacket and pants.

Christopher Plesko

@pivvay

Locale: Rocky Mountains

So far I cannot recommend the Traverse pants. The face fabric is great but the seam style (serged it seems?) sucks. Mine are fraying up and down both sides and the crotch. Boooo. I'm going to take mine back to the store and see what they say.

Also the traverse pants are nice but not quite warm enough for winter above treeline. You'd need a pretty heavy base layer to make it work.

For running, fall scrambling, and hiking they're great, it's too bad about the seams :(

Chris Joseph

@chriscaja

I'm confused….the Patagonia website shows these garments are on sale now (as opposed to what this article says). Is Patagonia selling an older model now?

Anonymous
    Inactive

They are on sale from september 2008!, that's when i bought my Traverese pants. So i don't think january 2009 is right???

joe newton
    BPL Member

@holdfast

Locale: Bergen, Norway

I've been using the Traverse pants for a little over a month now and they have become my first choice for nearly all my outdoor activities. I use them for running home from college, evening trail runs in the snow and ice and as all-day hiking pants in the mountains around Bergen (on colder days I layer with merino long underwear). They are extremely well made, unbelievably comfortable and light weight too. Ryan's comments on the dark colour and shallow pockets? Well in warm weather I always wear shorts (and would happily carry the Traverse pants as a long option on backpacking trips) and I never carry anything in my pockets when hiking or running. I simply couldn't be happier with them. The jacket is on my Christmas list!

Don Wilson
    BPL Member

@don-1-2-2

Locale: Koyukuk River, Alaska

Yes, they are on sale now. Patagonia changed the sale date on these a couple of times, and at the time we wrote the article it was January. Clearly, they got them in stock sooner than they had planned based on our conversations with them at ORSM in August.

Don Wilson
    BPL Member

@don-1-2-2

Locale: Koyukuk River, Alaska

Christopher –

Interesting. Is that fraying occurring on the upper, inner thigh? We haven't seen that happening.

Don

Christopher Plesko

@pivvay

It's happening all over, almost every place it's seamed. Outer lower legs on both sides are the worst but really it is all over. This is on the outside of the pants, where the seam might be exposed to abrasion but I've only had them out a handful of time (albeit solid outings of hiking, scrambling, climbing etc).

Chris

JASON CUZZETTO
    BPL Member

@cuzzettj

Locale: NorCal - South Bay

If the seems are surged it is possible that there was a problem with the center strand. We have seen this a few times through out the years when we make our winter gear. Though it seems strange that the operator wouldn't have caught it.

Christopher Plesko

@pivvay

Well considering everyone else's good luck so far and my genuine happiness with most of my carefully chosen Patgucci gear, maybe it's a rare mfg defect?

I guess we'll see what Patagonia says. I really like the pants otherwise!

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Serging is indeed the correct term; it's the same multi-thread seam used on most capilene garmets for ages now.

Some pilling is normal on capilene-type fabrics. I presume the less squishy hard-shelled fabric puts the threads further out on the face and thus they abrade faster. My old French Roast pants have conventional French-type seams.

I have a guess that Chris has been putting more miles on his than anyone else. ;)

Frank Perkins

@fperkins

Locale: North East

I'm sure you can return it with no questions asked. I have returned several items without an issue. That's why you're paying $$$ for their products!

Christopher Plesko

@pivvay

True, I'm not worried about that. Mostly I just like the pants and want to know if it's a design flaw or mine are just abnormal. Looking at DaveC's older Pati pants on our Yellowstone hike, the french seam appeared much less likely to have this issue.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

I've had my Traverse out almost daily in the last week; runs and hikes in weather from 20-40 F, mountain biking in the same, and a backcountry ski trip up and down a 9000' peak on an overcast and windy day.

Worn with a light baselayer, it provides comfort for an impressive range of temps. The cut, arm gussets, and generous sleeve length keep things anchored at all times. Wind resistance is impressive for something so breathable. I envision it getting used a ton, and likely replacing my Dragonfly jacket most of the time.

I did remove the chest pocket, which took about 2 hours of work with the seam ripper. IMO the pockets construction was way too thick, the seams too overlapping and the use of iron-on stiffener on the pocket flap un-needed. Removal of the pocket makes the whole deal just disappear as a layer.

Highly recommended thus far.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

I've been wearing mine almost every day over the last two months. Unless the wind is really moving, the pullover is a kickass winter aerobic layer. I adjust my underlayers accordingly (a sleeveless baselayer skiing at around freezing, the same plus an R 1/2 hoodie around 0F), unzip on the way up the hill, zip up on the way down.

It's also quite tough. Survived plenty of faceplants into hidden brush in early season conditions.

Highly recommended.

Christopher Plesko

@pivvay

My pants are still going strong despite the piling of the seams. I guess I like them too much to mess with taking them back if that says anything. I only put one small hole in the actual face fabric so far (lower leg) and tore a few stitches at the bottom of one leg on my bike one day.

I'd have to say they're pretty tough long term despite the initial seam issues. They sure do let you move really well, I'm finally a softshell pant convert. With a light long underwear under them they are surprisingly versatile in the cold although I now also have a pair of Alpine Guide pants too.

Now my only new complaint, will Pati make some pants NOT in black? I'm like the black knight when I go out some days…

Adrian B
    BPL Member

@adrianb

Locale: Auckland, New Zealand

Whats the water absorbency/drying time of the fabric like?

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

The fabric is mechanical stretch, thus no lycra or spandex content. Mine's been quite damp on warm ski days, and as a layer under a drysuit for winter canyoneering. It absorbs little water, has Patagonia's bomber DWR, and dries pretty fast.

The black pullover without a chest pocket has really become one of my most favorite pieces of outdoor clothing ever. I've worn it on almost every day outside below 40F in the last six months. It really hits the sweetspot of being windproof enough for an outer layer, and breathable enough to function as a light mid layer.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools