Topic

Backpacking stove input needed

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Backpacking stove input needed

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Darwin Roos

@darwin

Locale: Bloomington, IN

I'm looking to purchase a backpacking stove that is ultralight, good at cold and hot temperatures, high and low altitudes, and its fuel is easy to get a resupplies in the US and internationally (especially Taiwan). I'm also hoping to minimize the cost as much as possible.
    What do you suggest, both in terms of the type and a specific stove (make/model).

Scott McClure

@scottmphoto

Locale: The beautiful Arkansas River Valley

While not the best stove on the market and not the lightest, I bought a used Whisperlite International off of the usual online site for @ $22.00. It is built well and will burn almost any liquid fuel available. I plan on getting something better in the future but as I usually only boil water, it works wonderfully and I'll always keep it at least as a backup as long as I can keep it working.

Darwin Roos

@darwin

Thank you for your input. I appreciate it.
    Where were you able to purchase it for $22?
    Have you found in hard to get resupplies for it on long treks in the U.S. and/or overseas?

Darwin

James Bahner

@jmbahner

Locale: Philly suburbs

i used a MSR pocket rocket this summer on a road trip with my girlfriend and i cooked at around 10,000 at the highest and down into the 30s at the coldest. its only about 3.5 oz. and was only 30 or 35 dollars brand new. the isobutane can be bought almost anywhere for about 5 dollars per 8 oz can. it may not be a gourmet stove but i cooked some good meals on it.

Darwin Roos

@darwin

Thank you all for your input. I appreciate it.

Darwin

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Hey Darwin, I am selling a Snowpeak Giga-Power canister stove in gear swap. Check out picture- very good stove!
    under FS:UL GEAR

Scott McClure

@scottmphoto

Locale: The beautiful Arkansas River Valley

Darwin,

I got my Whisperlite International off Ebay for $22+shipping. I bought it (for the price) because it'll burn white gas, diesel, kerosene, unleaded gasoline and even jet fuel (if I remember right). While I have never taken it overseas, diesel, kerosene and unleaded should not be a problem to find.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools