Topic

If you were seperated from your pack…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique If you were seperated from your pack…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

Locale: Himalayas

Hi Roman. You dont need the firesteel striker when you are carrying that knife.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Roman, that is exactly what I carry on lanyard as well.
    One thing I found is that a small cordlock above all the items keeps them from getting horribly tangled if they're not around my neck.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I've given a fair amount of thought to this subject and have changed up both what/where I carry things.

In one pocket I carry a small PSK- AMK heatsheet, quart water container, 10 micropur tabs, sparklite w/ 5 tinders, AMK signal mirror, a piece of heavier gauge aluminum foil, small roll wire- all in a 4.5×7" Aloksak- total weight 5.5 oz

In the other pocket I carry a K&M match safe w/ REI storm matches and two fire straws- it has a small liquid filled Suunto compass for the top- 1.5 oz

small first aid kit- gauze, tegaderm bandage, steri strips, Celox, neosporin- in a 5×4 Aloksak- 0.9 oz- also in this is my repair kit – duct tape, superglue, safety pins, needle, spectra fish line, safety razor- 0.7 oz, 1.6 oz total

I recently went to a Esbit/wood stove so I now carry a small fixed blade knife- I've elected to carry it around my neck- the sheath has 15' 200# spectra cord wrapped around it, also on the neck lanyard are a Photon light and whistle- 4.7 oz

so 5.5 oz in one pocket, 3.1 in the other and 4.7 around my neck

many of these items were carried in my pack already- first aid kit, repair kit, water tabs, light, whistle

knife and matchsafe were already in my pockets

probably an additional 4-5 oz that I wasn't carrying previously, but I feel very comfortable that I could start a fire, build a debris shelter, purify and carry water, signal, navigate to some degree, and tend to small wounds if I was separated from my pack

Photobucket

Larry De La Briandais
    BPL Member

@hitech

Locale: SF Bay Area

I'd say the minimum is something you can start a fire with, a knife, compass and whistle in addition to the cord that holds it all.

Relying on NEVER being separated from ones pack is a bad idea in my opinion. No one ever expects the unexpected to happen. And, most of the time, with proper planning, it doesn't. But, if it does you'll be glad you had a few things with you…

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

As a just in case policy I usually carry a pocket knife clipped in my waistband, a lighter in my pocket and a small light around my kneck. My thinking is that should be enough to get me home if a bear takes off with my pack etc. In most cases I would start hiking out immediately and the light enables me to move safely in the dark. If its to cold I'll build a fire with the lighter. In a really remote area like Alaska or Montana I might consider a bigger survival kit.
    Of course my first goal is to never be seperated from my pack to begin with.
    Edit
    Since some bears get rather bold about stealing food I usually keep my pack with me. When I make camp I keep the bear spray handy. Not so much for my safety but hopefully so I can chase off Yogi before he gets something valuable. Someone mentioned not leaving valuables like wallets in a pack. Thanks, I hadn't thought of that but I'll remember it next time.

jj
    BPL Member

@calculatinginfinity

When I'm in the woods I carry basically the same things I have in my pockets everyday along with a few trail specific extras.
    -Cellphone,kept in a small ziploc and never turned on unless there's an emergency.
    -Opinel no8, useful for just about everything and isn't outrageously heavy(about 1.3oz). I carry this everyday and it has never failed me.
    -Chap stick
    -A mini bic with about 2 feet of duct tape wrapped around it. Under the first inch of tape I keep a small safety pin, sewing needle, floss, and a paper clip. This gets used just as often as my knife.
    -Small pieces of 600 and 1500 grit paper for touching up my knife at the end of the day. Ranger banded to that is my ID, bank card, condom, whistle, and some extra cash. On the trail it's kept in a small Ziploc bag with the bic.
    -The ever useful bandanna.
    -Area map and compass.
    -Maybe my headlamp or gloves if my hip belt pockets were filled with snacks.

WA Martinez

@danzarr

2 chlorine tablets
    two large trash bags
    duct tape
    10 zip ties
    knife
    flint
    button compass and map
    10 feet of paracord
    and an emergency signaling mirror
    all in a ziploc

trash bags and duct tap are great for making an emergency lean to, and if you duct tape a fold at the bottom, it works to collect morning dew for water.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Don't get separated!"

What could be simpler? + 10!

Jim W.
    BPL Member

@jimqpublic

Locale: So-Cal

It only took once for me. I was above Paiute Pass in the Sierra in late November. I left my pack to make a "short" side trip to check out a window looking over to the Owens. There was only about an inch of snow on the ground. It took about an hour to get up there- wind howling and snow whirling the whole way. Coming back it had turned to about 100' visibility and I got totally turned around. I knew that if I just headed downhill East I would hit cliffs. Downhill West it was 35 miles to the closed resort at Florence Lake. Finally, 4+ hours after leaving my pack I found it and the trail. The snow was about 1' deep by this point.

A knife, firestarter, tape, and string wouldn't have been much use if I was caught out overnight- I would need insulation and energy. My reaction to this event is to not leave my pack in a blizzard. I also never, ever go out in winter without a compass.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I try not to get separated. I have swum with my pack firmly in place. If I do set my pack down, I set it down on the trail because I don't want to lose that, either, and if I can find the trail, I ought to be able to find my pack.

The most possible way I can see for getting separated from my pack is either:

a) My pack is stolen. In that case, I'd want a phone, credit card, cash and a snack.

b) Bear destroys my pack. In that case I'd want a way to carry whatever things weren't destroyed. You can make a backpack out of a pair of pants. So I would want to have a strong needle and sturdy thread (dental floss) to make a a pack out of my pants.

James Patsalides
    BPL Member

@jamespatsalides-com

Locale: New England

— I would want to have a strong needle and sturdy thread (dental floss) to make a a pack out of my pants. —

@Diane
    : LOL. This is the best line I've read in a long time! ;-)

I'm more like one of the posters above… I carry my mini BIC, tiny knife and LED light in my pants pocket. Jeez, I don't even wear a watch when I hike (goes in a little dry bag at the bottom of the pack, along with my cell phone, wallet, car keys, plane tickets etc). Maybe I should reconsider some of those items and have them in a pocket or something? I just don't like to carry them gingling in my pockets!

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I carry a small key ring with mini firesteel, Victorinox Classic knife, AAA LED flashlight, aluminum tube whistle, and spy capsule for tinder. I also carry a larger knife— usually a 3.5" folder. A K&M match case with compass goes in another pocket.

It's just barely enough: fire, shelter building, signaling and navigation. Given a clean water source I could get by for several days.

What I carry for day hiking in addition to the items above is a better survival list:

Poncho shelter
    Braided nylon line
    Small roll 26ga wire
    Mini fishing kit
    Duct tape
    Mini "hotel freebie" sewing kit
    First aid kit with spare medications.
    Spare one liter platypus with 4 MicroPur tablets taped on
    Ti pot/mug
    Headlamp
    Spare batteries
    AMK Thermolite Bivy or Emergency Bivy
    Spare clothing layers (insulation)
    Gloves
    Hat
    Spare socks
    Bug repellent
    Sunscreen
    Mini Bic lighter
    Sunglasses
    Spare reading glasses
    Sighting compass and maps
    Spare food (granola bar, candy)
    Personal hygiene/latrine kit

That list will fit in a very small pack and it goes with me every time, regardless of the distance, weather, or terrain. Given a water source and wild edibles/small game, I could go for weeks with this kit.

The chances of getting separated from your pack are slim, but not impossible. Taking a little time to work through such scenarios just might save your bacon some day. It isn't difficult or expensive, just the small effort to carry a few items on your person rather than all in your pack.

Real scenarios for pack loss:

*Stream crossings
    *Falls
    *Fire
    *Animals
    *Theft

Living as I do in earthquake country and faced with the very real possibility of mass destruction, I carry basic survival items every day. A few tools, some food and water, and a little extra clothing can save your life. Think about it!

Benjamin Crowley

@benajah

Locale: West, now

Yes you do. The heat from the sparking will totally ruin the temper on a knife blade. Quickly too.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

"Real scenarios for pack loss:

*Stream crossings
    *Falls
    *Fire
    *Animals
    *Theft"

probably could add getting lost/injured away from camp- getting water, "short" hike/exploring, hanging bear bag- especially at or near dark

Matt Holmes

@mholmes

Locale: North Texas- Fort Worth

I really don't understand why you would get separated from your pack. Keep it on you at all times. Even when I sleep, I use it as a pillow.

Larry De La Briandais
    BPL Member

@hitech

Locale: SF Bay Area

No one plans on being in a survival situation. It is the unexpected that gets you.

Unless you NEVER take off your pack you could become separated.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

"No one plans on being in a survival situation. It is the unexpected that gets you.

Unless you NEVER take off your pack you could become separated."

exactly :)

if your pack is surgically attached to your back- you can kindly disregard this thread lol

A D

@wentworth

I'm pretty sure using the spine of a knife WON'T have any impact on the temper of a knife.

John Roan
    BPL Member

@jroan

Locale: Vegas

"I really don't understand why you would get separated from your pack. Keep it on you at all times. Even when I sleep, I use it as a pillow."

lol…don't you have to take it off to unpack, set up shelter, etc? :~)>

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

One guy told the story of accidentally knocking his pack off a cliff after he set it down. The cliff was high enough that there was no getting his pack back.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Browse the bookshelves and pick up a copy of "98.6 Degrees or The Art of Keeping Your @&$ Alive".

The author is Cody Lundin. He teaches wilderness survival.

In his book Cody describes what should be in a "survival kit". He also describes a mini survival kit and the components of a survival necklace.

The book is a good read with plenty of valuable information.

Hikers will become seperated from their packs every now and then due to unforseen circumstances. $&!+ happens! Having the necessary minimum supplies and tools can bring you back to hike again with a new backpack. :-)

Party On ! 2010

Newton

Dave T

@davet

Michael Baker

@mcpacker

Locale: Minnesota

When I'm out doing physical things in the woods I find excess things in my pockets are very uncomfortable. Pretty much everything goes in my pack except my map and compass. If I lose my pack I still have my map and compass. That way I can walk out if such a situation happens. It would suck but I think no matter what you carry in your pockets it is still going to suck.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

We cannot be prepared for every "what if." I do see some huge first aid kits in gear lists, anticipating a 1,000 what ifs.

I carry little in my pockets. It is usually only what I am going to need in the near future and varies from trip to trip. I do have a lanyard with a microlight, vitronix classic, whistle, and sometimes a minerature thermometer. Sometimes I wear it and sometimes keep it in my pocket, and sometimes in a side mesh pocket of the pack. At night I keep it in one of my shoes.

I just am not going to get separated from my pack. When I take a rest stop, I make darn sure that the pack cannot fall of a cliff or similar. Nowadays the pack is so light, there is no need to wander off without it.

Some good comments about not choking yourself with a lanyard have been made.

I would like to point out you are probably in greater risk of injury when wearing a ring on your finger, by slipping and catching a ring finger on something. So my wedding ring goes on the lanyard. It is just easier to take the ring with me, than have a discussion about it with my wife. Also, you are less likely to lose it on a lanyard. Mine fits kinda loose, so it could fall off while digging in the pack or other activities. And for those guys who might get married in the future… get your wedding band at a big national chain jewelry store. Buy their most common style; one that is always in stock. That way if you DO lose it, it can be replaced without grief from the better half. You can probably pick one up on the way home from your adventure. And don't ask how I know this :)

Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

"Nowadays the pack is so light, there is no need to wander off without it."

You never go on a walk after camp is set up?

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 55 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools