Topic

If you were seperated from your pack…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique If you were seperated from your pack…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    Roman Ryder
    Spectator

@romanla

Locale: Southwest Louisiana

What would you want to have on you? I'm basically trying to decide what items to put on a survival necklace or something along those lines.

p.s. At this point, I'm just thinking of throwing my firesteel scout on a paracord necklace.

Brian Barnes
    BPL Member

@brianjbarnes

Locale: Midwest

My son and I each keep one of THESE in our pockets along with a Benchmade Mini-Griptillian knife (2.65 oz). To the kit (3.9 oz) I add 6 chlorine dioxide tablets, a coffee filter, and a Photon Freedom Micro LED Light. Weight well worth carrying in my opinion.

J B
    BPL Member

@johannb

Locale: Europe

A flashlight. Maybe a little knife. An energy bar.

Matt Lutz

@citystuckhiker

Locale: Midwest

I always carry at least a whistle, phone, knife, matches, compass and maps on me in pockets in case I lose my pack.

As for what you carry, think of your needs and what you can do with the minimal amount of gear you would want. Also think of where you generally hike and on what types of hikes.

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!

On the trail I usually have my phone/gps mapping in my shirt pockets, along with a small led torch, lighter, small bottle of alcohol fuel, sweets, passport if I'm abroad, cash, pencil/paper. In my hat, a couple of needles and some thread. Trousers pockets always have a knife in, along with TP and usually a bit of cordage or spare laces, a folded plastic bag in the back pocket.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Hmm… these days I don't think about being seperated from my pack because it pretty much never comes off. When the pack was bigger and heavier it would come off for river crossings, left in a base camp, etc but that doesn't happen now. Why make a base camp when I don't mind carrying the pack and I the pack is minimal enough that I have swum with it comfortably.

The things I carry on my body (mostly because I want access without taking off my pack): knife, lighter, compass, map, whistle, and a micro flashlight. If I thought there was a major change of being separated I would stuff an emergency blanket, some water purification tablets and a platypus in my pocket.

One issue with a survive necklace… make sure if it gets caught on something, that the necklace lets go before your neck does.

–mark

Worth Donaldson
    BPL Member

@worth

I carry something similiar to the Ranger Rick's SOS necklace: http://www.therangerdigest.com/

I keep Deet and a survival blanket in a pocket.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Great topic to bring up Roman. One might consider what is the most minimal, most compact or most reliable item in each of ten groups. Could a hiker easily carry these in a pocket? The items are alot more important when hiking solo than hiking in a group I suppose.

1. Medical- duct tape
    2. Shelter- garbage bag (yellow or orange could double for signaling)
    3. Fire- waterproof matches or firesteel
    4. Hydration- straw, purification tablets, container
    5. Communication- whistle
    6. Navigation- map, button compass, coin cell light
    7. Nutrition- nothing or lifesaver candy : )
    8. Insulation- use shelter, fire
    9. Sun Protection- use shelter, worn clothing, sunglasses in winter
    10. Tools- scissors (all I have been carrying lately)

A container could be a ziplock (soft sided), a Q-tip container (hard sided), or the items could be loose in several pockets. What would everybody else choose?

Jed Augustine
    BPL Member

@jaugusti

Locale: Appalachians/Rockies

Hey y'all-

I'm having a bit of difficulty imagining situations in which you would be separated from your pack, short of a very unfortunate scenario involving cliffs. I chock this up to lack of experience, What situations should I be wary of?

I hope all is well with everyone.

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

The first answer is, if your pack is UL, why would you ever be separated from it? About the only time would be if you wandered away from camp and darkness fell or you got disoriented.

So, I admit it. I've done that. Went to a remote spring and got turned around in the high, thick brush between the spring and my camp. It happens and it's a very nasty feeling. On the other hand, I don't expect to ever be separated for more than a few hours.

I had on Crocks, running shorts, a watch and a "survival" neckless. I keep a compass on the watch band, and it's the only compass I use, so I know how to use it. The neckless is a breakaway lanyard with a squeeze light, a whistle, a small butane lighter, and a SAK. I use it like a pocket to hold everyday items. That way, it doesn't get left somewhere and I know everything works all the time.

How did I find camp? I was alone, so the whistle was uselsss. I knew I had to go uphill, but I also knew I could cut the trail to the spring. I missed the trail somehow in the thick brush and darkness, so I worked a star pattern using the compass to return to the spring and the LED for light. It took several tries until the reflectorized patches on my tarp showed me the way home.

My feeling is that if my "survival kit" had been larger than this, I would have left if at camp.

Roman Ryder
    Spectator

@romanla

The most likely one that comes to mind is an unplanned swim crossing water. I've heard that a pack will float, so there's a chance you could find it in an eddy downstream.

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

Yeah, Roman, if your pack doesn't float, it's pretty dense. I've done a lot of river trips. Tumps are common. I don't secure gear in the boat, but instead, let it float away. It's easier to rescue/recover the boat if it's not loaded. The gear is always easy to find. As you say, eddies catch it and it rarely moves very far very fast. If you are going downstream, you can just pick things up as you go. If you are backpacking, you can just float downstream. The pack will usually be within 100 yards or so.

Douglas Ray

@dirtbagclimber

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I have read several such circumstances amongst climbers. It's not that hard to drop a pack on technical terrain. However, one usually has a companion in such cases, and the critical survival gear is usually what's hanging on your harness or tied to you in those cases.

John Carter

@jcarter1

Locale: Pacific Northwest

What about a bear running off with your pack, still full of food, while you were collecting water, so you don't know which direction the bear went?

Or say you find the pack, but it's torn to shreds? Or what about running from a bear and throwing off your pack, then sliding down a steep slope?

Granted, quite unlkely, but still, emergency kits are all about preparing for the unlikely, correct?

lynda schroeder

@lyndasch15

Hi, I'm mostly a lurker, but I've learned many things from the forum section. Thanks for all the great topics.

We did actually did have a bear run off with a pack in the u-p of Michigan. On our very first backpacking trip. It was dusk and the packs were waiting to be put on the bear pole. (now only food bags go on the pole) I walked away from camp to visit a bush, and left the packs with my hubby and kids. While I was away they all went to their tents, and left the packs (and food) against a tree. When hubby left the tent he almost backed into the bear. In the bear's panic he took a nearly empty pack. The bear got no food, but because we had set up camp we had most of the gear for five people and only three packs (one kid was too small to carry much gear). This was before we went to light weight gear. It was a long heavy walk for three of us the next day.

I now carry nothing I can't afford to loose in my pack. I do carry a compass, whistle, knife, fire stick, LED light, money, ID, bandana, and snack on my person.

lynda

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Read a story once about a bull moose being attracted to tobacco stored in a side pocket of an external frame pack. A shoulder strap became tangled in its antlers when the owner scared it off.

The pack was found a couple hundred yards away, much the worse off for the experience.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

On a more serious note, there's always the possibility of getting stupid when situations go south on us. It is simple enough to keep a small survival kit on our persons and that's a small price to pay for some insurance, even if we're confident in our discipline to keep a cool head under duress.

30-some years ago 2 or three climbers fell to their deaths in Yosemite while retreating from a failed climb. The investigative conclusions were 1) they bit off more than they could chew on the climb 2) ran out of water 3) dehydration led to impatience, degradation of technique, carelessness etc. They clipped in to a bolt-chain-bolt anchor in a manner that did not fail safe. The tang on one of the bolts failed.

A story with a better outcome … Experienced backpacker on the Pow Wow Lakes Trail (BWCAW) lost the trail (easy to do on the poorly maintained BWCAW backpacking trails). Again, low on water. He camped overnight and guessed incorrectly that he could easily find the trail by walking in a certain direction. Figured it couldn't be too far and it'd be easier to for the trail without all that gear on his back. Didn't find the trail, couldn't find his camp again either. OOPS! Then the weather turned … several inches of wet snow and continued to be cold. No food, no shelter, water only at the expense of energy used when eating snow. He was fortunate that his stupidity was temporary. He put his energy into finding shelter (a large hollow log) and sat tight. Was found a few days later somewhat worse for wear but ultimately OK.

Richard Matthews

@food

Locale: Colorado Rockies

CLASSIC COMMANDMENTS OF MOUNTAINEERING
    by Gerry Roach

1. Never get separated from your lunch.

2. Never get separated from your sleeping bag.

3. Never get separated from your primal urges.

4. Carefully consider where your primal urges are leading you.

5. Expect to go the wrong way at least some of the time.

6. Recognize that first aid above 26,000 feet consists of getting below 26,000 feet.

7. Never step on the rope.

8. Never bivouac.

9. Remember that Surfer Girl is not in the mountains.

10. Never pass up a chance to pee.

11. Don’t eat yellow snow.

12. Have fun and don’t forget why you started.

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

For three season outings I wear running shorts with a built in liner/brief and a wicking light weight shirt, this equates to – no pockets. My gear is either in my pack or in the gear closet at home. My pack goes where I go, always. If seperated from my pack I'm in for the adventure of a lifetime or maybe the last adventure of a lifetime. I know many others hike in the same type of clothing so I'm likely not alone.

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

My clothing is about the same as Thom's, but my running shorts have pockets. I always carry my pocket knife in one of them. I don't generally like to have anything else in the pockets though. I do have a lanyard I made from about 25' of GG EZC guyline that I wear around my neck anytime I'm on the trail. I carry a mini firesteel, pinch light, compass, and whistle on it.

Outside of that I do my best to not get separated from my pack. The only times I take it off are to eat lunch, take a break, or set up camp. Hipbelt pockets do wonders for keeping snacks and cameras in easy reach :). Obviously its not always possible to keep my pack on me, but like Thom I'm prepared for an adventure should I get separated from it.

Adam

Brian UL

@maynard76

Locale: New England

Just take stock of your priorities.
    What do you need for a short time to be protected from exposure?
    Water and shelter. I will consider fire as part of shelter if it is needed at all.
    So, thats some micropur tabs and a firesteel. A knife would be invaluable to make shelter and fire but who here is going to seriously carry a suitable fixed blade that can do the job?
    I probably wont. A small folder isnt up to the task and worst you run the real danger of it folding on your finger or the joint falling apart and now your lost with a painful cut finger that has to be protected from infection.
    Better to learn some debris shelter building skills and be real good at fire building with natural materials.
    A compass, small LED and whistle could be added too for navigation and signaling. If you make it complicated you will work against yourself.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

You could of course end up with a second UL pack hanging around your neck. The logic seems questionable.
    Don't get separated!

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

Rule Number One: Don't ever run from a bear. The bear can run much faster than you can, even when you're running for your life.

Throw a rock at him instead. They don't like rocks bouncing off their bodies. I know this from first hand experience.

Roger has it spot on: Your pack is your life. Don't ever leave it.

Anonymous
    Inactive

That's why you don't want to hike alone in bear territory. If you have a partner, you don't have to outrun the bear, just the partner….

Roman Ryder
    Spectator

@romanla

This is what I ended up going with…

Wenger Swiss Army Knife – 0.8 oz
    Photon Freedom Micro LED – 0.2 oz
    West Marine Safety Whistle – 0.2 oz
    Light My Fire Firesteel Scout – 1.0 oz

Survival Gear

I ordered a Brunton Key Ring Compass too, but it was huge. It was basically a full size compass without the base. I ended up just putting a small compass on my watchband. I haven't decided if I'm going to put this on a breakaway necklace or just leave it on a loop of paracord in my pocket.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 55 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools