Topic

light, compact cup

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear light, compact cup

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Lance Ruth

@lance

New poster, so I don't know if this is old news. I like to take capri sun pouches and cut off the very top. The result is a very compact (folds flat) free-standing cup that can be used for beverages or stews – whatever. May save some weight/space for some folks.
    Great addition to a survival kit. Anyway, let me know if this works for anyone or if there are any mods or alternatives.

Paul Tree

@paul_tree

Locale: Wowwww

That is a great reuse idea, they are super tough! And the first day, you get a nice lunch drink. Now if only wine bags came this small..

A. B.

@tomswifty

Target sells 4-pack 8.4 oz (250 ml) wine. These come in foil type containers. I'm not sure what the bottoms are like or how they might work as a cup. It might be worth looking into.

Good idea about the capri sun.

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

do you feel this idea would work?

use capri-sun w/ a triangle shaped coffee filter and let your brew seep.
    i am wondering if you can fold the edges of a filter around the top of your container to keep it from collapsing, as I dont have a capri-sun at the moment.
    i am searching for a workable solution to the lame coffee bags (just cant get a good cup o' joe with them)

Lance Ruth

@lance

I hadn't thought of that michael, but it just may work. I have a couple already made at home and will try to rig with a coffee filter and post results here.

If you're going to be out for a couple days, I might check into a CUP POUR RI COFFEE MAKER, or some variant (maybe a GAMILA TEASTICK for the tea drinkers out there). One thing I hadn't thought of was – if serving coffee/tea/cocoa – how to insulate. Maybe as simple as wearing gloves, which most of us are likely to be at this time of year anyway.

Good things!

Lance Ruth

@lance

Michael, last night I tried to do the coffee thing and it works great. I didn't have any triangle filters, but for the sake of the trial, I just used a regular 8-10 cup filter. I shaped it a bit in order to fit it to the capri sun pouch, placed a tbsp of grounds in it, then poured hot water over it. Just like a normal drip brew, it drained into the pouch. Good brew, good idea, good things.

Caveat: Be sure to fold down excess filter and hold on to it. The weight of the water had a tendency to draw the filter further into the pouch. By my conclusion, this all can easily be recreated on the trail.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools