Topic

PCT 09 gear

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists PCT 09 gear

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Brett Grizzle

@bdgriz

Locale: Northeast GA

I thought that since this year's batch of PCT hikers are returning home to thier computers, now would be a good time put some of my gear for next year up for duscussion. I'll use an * to mark items that that I'm not sure of or dont own yet, but all items are open for debate.

PACKING
    -ULA circuit pack
    -garbage bag pack liner
    -various stuff sacks and ziplocks

SHELTER
    *MLD 8×10 supertarp or RJ tarp kit?
    -mix of Golite y stakes and titainium hooks

SLEEPING
    -MH phantom 32
    -silk liner
    -torso length closed cell foam pad

CLOTHING WORN/ITEMS NOT IN PACK
    *RR adventure shirt or REI lightweight LS zip top (White)
    -running shorts or MH mountain kilt
    -nylon dress socks
    -running shoes
    -straw sun hat
    *gaiters?
    -Leki poles w/duct tape of course
    -sun glasses
    -watch

CLOTHING PACKED
    -fleece tights
    *fleece vest
    -cheap wind pants w/ liner removed (light grey)
    -MB thermawrap
    -fleece hat, liner gloves, sleep socks
    -extra hiking socks
    -Driducks rain jacket
    -ULA rain wrap

COOKING/HYDRATION
    *1 liter cookpot (give or take)
    -homemade alcohol stove & windscreen
    -small plastic measuring cup from mess kit
    -leatherman squirt
    -lexan spoon
    -aquamira
    -bic lighter
    *8 liter water capacity, some combo of soda bottles and platys or MSRs

OTHER STUFF
    -nylon travel wallet
    -princton-tec headlamp
    -toothbrush/toiletries
    -sunscreen, chapstick
    -guidebooks, maps, compass etc.
    -small first aid, firestarting kit, sewing/repair kit
    *digital camera
    -i pod and i pod accessories
    -any other forms of entertainment i deem worth the weight
    -Bearvault, bug netting and *ice axe for sierras

I think My base weight with this list is somewhere around 11 or 12 pounds, not including the BV or axe. Any feedback is greatly appreciated

I have edited the list to include things I forgot originally and suggestions that I like

Scott S

@sschloss1

Locale: New England

I'm doing the PCT in '09, too, and your gear list is extremely similar to mine (Circuit, 32-degree bag, tarp, etc.). A few things that I have on my list that I didn't see on yours:

– bug netting (I'm carrying a headnet the whole way, but I'm not picking up sleep netting until Kennedy Meadows)
    – windshirt (or some second layer to put on while hiking–or will you use the driducks?)
    – compass
    – ground cloth
    – sunglasses

See you out on the trail…

Brett Grizzle

@bdgriz

Thanks Scott, I dont have this list written down anywhere, just in my head, a few things i forgot to mention but do plan to carry, such as bug netting (add when needed), sunglasses, compass. I've never really used a windshirt, I think the dryducks or the vest will work for an extra layer while hiking. I haven't used a ground cloth for some time now. I always have a couple of large garbage bags in my pack for waterproofing the sleeping bag, clothes, etc. I just lay these out flat on the ground under my pad and pack, it works for me.

Thanks for catching my oversites, well have to keep in touch and maybe I'll see you on the trail next year!

Sean Walashek

@caraz

Locale: bay area

I appreciate a little light for after the sun goes down to get my ducks in a row.

Jeff Jeff
    BPL Member

@jeffjeff

That's a pretty solid list. Just a few suggestions for socal.

You'll get all sorts of sharp things that somehow work their ways through the mesh in your shoes and they poke your feet on each step. Gaiters will keep them out from the top, but not through the mesh. Still, it's better than nothing. I stopped every 50 yards to remove pricklies one day.

The Platy and soda bottle combo works great for water capacity. Consider a small cup about an ounce in volume so you can scoop water out of small puddles and add it to your platy. I ran into some nice fresh sources, but the only pool was very small. It took about half an hour to get 3 liters. You can use a bandana to filter. Lots of flaties and questionable water out there.

I used my headnet a few times in the San Gorgonios.

Sun gloves are a godsend if you use poles in the desert. I didn't use sunscreen anywhere on me, so I had to have them.

Hopefully you won't need the tarp for the first 1000 miles, but if you do, a few dozen feet of very light cord is usefull to use on hard ground. Much of the trail is rocky with little solid soil.

Brett Grizzle

@bdgriz

Thanks Sean and Jeff.

I really feel dumb now for leaving a headlamp off my list, especially since I forgot to bring one on a recent trip to Katahdin. The water cup is a great tip too.

I hope I wont really need the tarp in socal too, that will be a great change of pace from the weather here in GA where somehow it seems to rain every time I go hiking even though we're in a drought.

I was thinking, however, that it might be nice to have a good size tarp to set up lean to style for shade in the middle of the day. I dont know if sil-nylon really provides much shade, but maybe some of you can tell me?

Also, Jeff, can you recomend some sun gloves, where to buy them?

Jeff Jeff
    BPL Member

@jeffjeff

First of all, I've only done a few sections, so take my advice for what it's worth.

I liked to take long lunch breaks in the heat of the day, but it was always under a tree or a rock or in the shade of some sort. There were some sections where I went from shade to shade a few hundred feet at a time. I still don't think I would have setup a tarp. As you get deeper into the desert, it will likely be handy. It should make you some friends as well. I've seen many silny tarps used as suns shelters. I bet they lower the temps a few degrees. If you do want to go with this method, any shelter will work fine. I wouldn't buy one tarp over another based on sun shelter ability. Do keep it mind that it can be windy and exposed, so good wind shedding ability is a good thing to have.

I used these fingerless sungloves from Coolibar and I loved them. My hands were never hot in them. It looks like they added rubber grips to them though, which is not so good. I got white ones. You might want to get them a bit larger. It seems that 20 mile days in the sun with poles made my hands swell just a bit.
    http://www.coolibar.com/01004.html

David Brunstein

@ariztazer

Hey Brett:

It looks like you have a solid gear list. The PCT will be a wonderful experience for you. Here's some random thought on your stuff:

– I found the collars on shirts like the RR adventure shirt flapped to much in the wind. I switched to a collarless tee.

– Make sure your hat has a chin strap. It gets really windy in SoCal.

– Your watch should have an alarm. Altimeters were cool as the guidebooks provide that reference point.

– Instead of fleece tights, consider silk long underwear or running tights.

– The fleece vest and MB thermawrap are duplicative.

– The ULA rain wrap makes a great partial ground cloth.

– Once your hiker appetite kicks in, I found my 0.9 liter pot to small and switched to a grease pot (apporx. 1.3 – 1.5 liters).

– Do you need a pot support/stand, wallet (cash, ID, etc.), journal, Deet, or a bandana? Do you need small containers for cooking (olive oil, spices, etc.)?

– Consider bringing a small repair kit (duct tape, sewing kit, safety pins, etc.). Make sure your first aid kit has blister stuff.

– Think carefully about an iPod because of the battery limitations.

– Make sure you buy Yogi's book.

– Put careful planning into your bounce box if you plan on using one.

Have a great time!

Lucky

Brett Grizzle

@bdgriz

Jeff, I checked out those sun gloves, they are definately up for consideration. I'm still pretty wide open about tarp options, I dont really need a new tarp, I have an old golite hut that I am sure would get the job done, I'd just like a little more room/ versatility. Also hosting a Mid day heat party under my tarp sounds right up my alley! Just saw the new MLD duo Mid, looks interesting.

David, It seems from your suggestions that my clothing system may be a bit overkill for the temps. I may go for lighter tights and swap the vest out for a wind shirt or some other lighter option, (bounce the heavier fleece stuff ahead for Sierras & Washington?) The wallet, bug dope and repair kit fall under the category of things I just failed to mention, thaks for spotting it, I'll add them to the list. As for the i pod… I am a total music addict and will not go anywhere without it. I found a neat little external battery/wall charger to deal with the power issue. It plugs into a standard wall outlet has 2 USB ports and uses some kind of cell phone battery, so I may even order an extra battery for it. 45 hours of continuous tunes, OH YEAH! I also plan to bring some small external speakers for the mid day shade partys I'll be hosting. Can you say gratuatous luxury items?

Thanks again guys for your 2 cents (worth much more IMO)

I almost forgot, I got Yogi's book a while back, lots of good info in there.

Joshua S
    BPL Member

@joshualee101

You might want to check this out for charging your ipod on the trail.

http://www.iphonefootprint.com/2009/01/go-green-with-solicharger-solar-charger-for-iphone-and-ipod-touch/

It's basically an expansion battery pack with a solar panel built in. It weighs 1.4 oz and they claim it can fully recharge in as little as 4 hours. It is designed for the iphone, but they say it fits most ipod models. I'm thinking of ordering one to see if it fits my 4th generation model.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools