Topic

Marking your Ti pot

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Marking your Ti pot

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

Several times I've noticed questions regarding how one might mark their Ti pots for measuring cups of water. I just made a jig and scribed 1/2 cup marks in my BPL SUL1100 Titanium pot.

The process is as follows:

1. Get a stick of wood that's a few inches deeper than your pot.

2. Using an accurate measuring cup (I used 1/2 cup) pour one full measure of water into the pot.

3. Dip the stick into the pot, resting the stick firmly on the bottom. Quickly remove the stick and mark the water line on the stick. Add one more measure of water and repeat, until you reach the largest amount of water you'll ever be boiling.

4. Use a square to draw a line 90° across the stick at each mark you've made.

5. Drill a hole completely through the stick, using the line to keep the hole as close to 90° as possible.

6. Mount a "cross bar" on the stick so the cross bar rests on the pot rim, when the stick is firmly pressed to the bottom of your pot.

7. Insert a sharpened nail, or other hard metal as you may have, firmly into the hole closest to the end of the stick. In my case it was the 1/2 cup hole. I used the pin from a metal scribe. Very hard, very sharp.

8. Keeping the stick firmly pressed onto the pot bottom, rotate the pot, while scribing a line around the inside circumference of the pot. Move scribe to next hole and repeat.
    The pot marking tool
    The Tool
    Marking the pot
    Scribing the pot
    The scribed pot
    Scribed pot

It's not difficult and took me about 30 minutes, including assembling all the parts. I did have to recharge the Makita battery.

Devin Montgomery
    BPL Member

@dsmontgomery

Locale: one snowball away from big trouble

Well done. When I first read the title I thought it said "Making your Ti pot," and thought I was in for some serious MYO. Step 1 – buy deep-drawing or hydroforming press..

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

For a truly "Green" experience it should be steam powered using yard waste to fire the boiler.

John Z
    BPL Member

@feather

Dennis,

Thanks for sharing your creative solution.

Keep in mind that the stick itself has volume, and displaces some of the water. The stick in your picture appears relatively large. I recommend using a very thin stick or dowel to obtain the "water marks", and then transfer those markings to the larger stick that is part of the scribing jig.

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

I allowed for that after the second mark. The accuracy of the drilling really adds a variable that means the whole effort is approximate only. It's not close enough for lab work but works fine for dinner.

Eric Eaton

@ericeaton

OK. So maybe I'm not being very scientific, but, I simply fill my FireLite 550-SUL Titanium Cookpot near the brim (allowing a little play for my very hi Klutz index), heat it, and then pour into a meal bag either to the bottom corner of the pot for about one cup or to the edge of the ring on the bottom of the pot for 1.5 cups. If I need two cups, I empty the pot into the baggie.

This approximation method has worked for every one of my mix-in-ziploc meals.

Although it is simple and easy, it admittedly does take some of the MYOG fun out of things…

Hope this helps.

Eric

PS. I too mis-read this as "Making your Ti pot".

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Your method works well for a small pot but I find it useful to have marks for my SUL1100.

Eric Eaton

@ericeaton

I see your point. Graduated markings do seem mighty useful on a larger pot.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools