Topic

Anyone still carry a ULA P-2 pack?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Anyone still carry a ULA P-2 pack?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Locale: Colorado

Just wondering. I still use mine for winter camping but haven't heard much about it since the Catalyst came out. It's still a venerable pack and I'm curious about how many people still use it.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

I have one and it has been my main stay for all my long hikes. I took off the top lid and all side straps, H2O holder. Great pack. It's the pack in avatar picture. I have been looking at the Catalyst also but my P-2 is still in great shape. What to do? Any abody what to buy it? I bought it for $225 and would sell it for $125.00 shipped.
    Definetly used but still in excellent condtion. Size large

Mina Loomis
    BPL Member

@elmvine

Locale: Central Texas

My Camp Fire backpacking coleader has a P-2 she's been using for 5 years or so. She likes it a lot. It's held up well. She also got one at the same time for her son, who used it until he got too tall (for that size); they then lent it to my son, who also outgrew it; then my nephew took it on one of our trips, but he needed something a little smaller, so my sister got him an REI Quick 45; the next person to use that P-2 was my brother in law last spring, in the Guadalupe Mts., and it worked swell for him–he'll probably use it again when we all go to Big Bend this winter. So this particular P-2 has sort of turned into the "family pack." The only one who didn't like it was my husband, who is more comfortable with a REI UL 60 (predecessor to the Cruise pack). My big-trip pack is a Catalyst; I originally ordered a P-2 but my order fell just in the transition and it became a Catalyst. It is very comfortable, which is important because I often have to carry a lot of water and group gear. But if I had received a P-2 I would probably still have it.

Matt Lutz

@citystuckhiker

Locale: Midwest

I ran into an older couple on the Superior Hiking Trail about a month ago that were both carrying ULA packs, one of which was a P2, the other a Catalyst. It was the first time I had seem them in-person, and they were beautiful.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

I still own a P1. Love it for snowshoing

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

I really want the new Catalyst and for big Ken to send me some Marginal Man, Nip Drivers and Septic Death. Whatz-up Ken?? How you doin guy? I will be in Aptos today B-day party.

ed hyatt
    BPL Member

@edhyatt

Locale: The North, Scotland

I met a woman on the JMT with a P2 (I had a Catalyst); it looked strangely familiar….and perhaps a bit more desirable than my pack, maybe as it was half as full!

People with Catalysts were all over the place on the trail, which surprised me….there I was thinking I would be unique :-)

Brian Markey
    BPL Member

@bmlaw

Locale: Northeast

I still use mine. It's a great pack!

Chris Wheeler
    BPL Member

@chrisw

Locale: Stratford, Ontario

The P2 was my first light weight pack. Although I use a Circuit for most of my trips, the P2 still gets used every year. The P2 allows me to use the larger Bearvault for trips over 8 days and on trips with my wife (I carry the food). Generally I find the Circuit a more comfortable pack with weights below 32 lbs, but I use the P2 for more technical trips that require scrambling and the use of the hands, even with weights below 32 lbs. The P2 is starting to show signs of wear and tear, but nothing that can't be fixed, and should serve me well for years to come.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Sweet Jay!! Enjoy the weather. Was just in Capitola awhile ago this morning. There is some kind of fire near Aptos today.

PM your address so I can send you some punk rock!!

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Nice Ken,,Looking forward to some good old punk rock music.

Dee Kenville

@ndwoods

Locale: Santa Cruz, Calif

Here it is 2012 and I still love and use mine! Was bemoaning what I will end up with when mine bites the dust….love the old P-2!

Brian Lewis

@brianle

Locale: Pacific NW

My wife and I each still have P2's in good condition. I use mine for winter hiking and scrambling, or longer day hikes. I might grab it for a shorter backpack or for base camping. I use my circuit for longer backpacks now.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools