Topic

upgrade Jetboil?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear upgrade Jetboil?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    skwor skwor

@skwor

Greetings! I here first time. I live in Russia and with English it is not so familiar. (forgive flaws, tell if what not so.)
    I liked your self-made things.
    I too have tried to improve a little JETBOIL and have decided to ask you, that you think of it{this}. I have taken Dremel and have put{rendered} to them large enough scratchs, then a skin (a fabric with sand) still scratched a platform of a bottom.
    upgrade Jetboil ?
    I think, that it has increased the area of a surface and, accordingly efficiency of a torch.
    Unfortunately, I do not have weights and there is no opportunity to check up, whether efficiency has increased.
    I shall be very grateful, if you write this text correctly and explain to me where I was mistaken.
    Probably, it will allow to avoid mistakes{errors} in the future.
    By the way that you think about Kovea Alpine Pot?
    With the best regards,
    skwor

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Skwor

Slightly corrected:

Greetings! I am here for the first time. I live in Russia and am not so familiar with English.
    I liked your self-made things. (or home-made)
    I too have tried to improve the JETBOIL a little and have decided to ask you what you think of this. I have used a Dremel and some sandpaper to put large scratches on the bottom. (I have used a Dremel and sandpaper to abrade the bottom.)
    I think that it has increased the area of the surface and accordingly the efficiency of heating.
    Unfortunately, I do not have a balance and I have no means to see whether the heating efficiency has increased.

No, I don't think this will alter the heating efficiency very much, if at all. The fins around the edge are the big boost to the heat transfer efficiency. The very small scratches you have made are not significant.
    However, the scratches do some damage to the anodising on the bottom, and I don't think that is good. However, it may not do much harm.

Cheers
    Roger

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

I don't know about the efficiency, but I wanted to welcome you to the forum! Keep working on your projects!

Tony Beasley
    BPL Member

@tbeasley

Locale: Pigeon House Mt from the Castle

Hi Skwor,

Welcome to the forum and thankyou for posting your JetBoil pot idea. Your English is OK, I had no problems understanding you post.

I agree with Roger that the scratches on the bottom of the small Jetboil pot will make very little difference to the efficiency and the fins on bottom are the main improvement, my thoughts are that the fins also slow down the hot gasses over the bottom allowing more time for the transfer of heat. Scratching the bottom of a large pot might make a measurable difference.

Please keep posting your ideas.

Tony

Tom Caldwell
    BPL Member

@coldspring

Locale: Ozarks

I hate to tag onto this thread, but suppose one tried to remove the mounting ring from the bottom of the pot, and while doing so one of the weld spots busted out a small hole near the bottom of of the pot's side…I wonder what could be used to patch it up enough to keep using it?

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

I have used a Dremel Tool successfully in removing handles from light weight titanium pots. One must exercise caution and work very slowly.

Ben Pearre
    BPL Member

@fugue137

I agree that on the small JetBoil the difference is likely to be very slight, but I wonder whether in principle a rough surface will induce different flow–perhaps hastening the onset of turbulence and therefore more layer mixing near the surface of the pot? Or it could have the opposite effect, by slowing the air closest to the pot and creating a dead zone. Aristotle wouldn't waste time actually measuring anything, but would claim one or the other is obvious. Feynman would do an overly elaborate experiment and tell you everything about it except for the result…

skwor skwor

@skwor

Greetings.
    I have not understood sense of this message:
    >>>I hate to tag onto this thread, but suppose one tried to remove the mounting ring from the bottom of the pot, and while doing so one of the weld spots busted out a small hole near the bottom of of the pot's side…I wonder what could be used to patch it up enough to keep using it?<<<

Pictures and more simple expression of ideas will facilitate to me understanding.

Here to you the new link
    http://www.risk.ru/users/homohomeni/3296/
    Article in Russian.
    It tells about testing torches.
    The author boils water, weighs a gas cartridge.
    On a difference of weight he calculates, how many gas is spent on boiling.
    To within 0.5 grams. Water of 11 degrees.
    Interesting data for wind: JB PCS and MSR REACTOR.
    JB PCS wins under the charge of gas at REACTOR at absence of a wind, but loses at a wind. (boiling 0.5 litres of water)
    Conditions:
    Temperature of fuel +24
    Temperature of fuel +9
    Temperature of fuel-7
    Wind.

Also he uses 4 torches for boiling litre of water

By result of the charge of gases in this experiment I have drawn a conclusion, that on maximal power JB PCS is less effective, than on lowered power.
    At increase in time of boiling in 1.5 times the charge of gas JB PCS comes nearer to consumption JB GCS and PRIMUS ETA POWER.
    characteristic the common feature of reduction in the charge of gas at downturn of power. (Unequally for different torches)

On the basis of it later I shall write the new message with the ideas on action and variants of increase of efficiency of torches.

Also I would like to ask all authors who was engaged in investment and improvement JB PCS and spread a photo in forums backpacking light to give me the sanction to use of photos in article, which I write for Russian sites. " Upgrading Jetboil ".

PS my days off. Rope-jumping.
    http://rapidshare.com/files/148965989/rope_jumping.mpg.html

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools