Topic

Pack strap construction – question for the gurus

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Pack strap construction – question for the gurus

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 posts - 26 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Bob Gabbart

@bobg

Wow! Great job!

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

Wow #2

this looks amazingly like the G6, beautiflly made.

???where did you get the cheap sil nylon???

good luck with your finals

Benjamin Smith
    BPL Member

@bugbomb

Locale: South Texas

Bob – thanks for the kind words. It took way too long.

Ryan – I found the fabric in the $1 bin at Walmart. I stumble on it every once in a while, and buy all they’ve got.

Ben

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

You say this is your first try? Good job on both the pack and the tarp.

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

thanks Ben I will check walmart.

a long time is probably worth it, I bet once I get a sewing machine (soon) I will try to go too quickly trough a project and have it not meet my standards in the end, but the cheap fabric will help and I guess I will just have to learn to be patient.

thanks again Ben, for an easier tarp pitch try making a catenary cut tarp

here is plans for a cat cut tarp tent, but you dont need to make the bug netting, just the tarp

Night Wing Pattern

Anonymous
    Inactive

Mr. Smith,

My law firm is representing Glen Van Peski of Gossamer Gear and will soon be taking you to court for copyright infringement… Not!
    Nice Job, you’re attention to detail is amazing.

Regards

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

I would like to add that your pack is a masterpeice that definately compares to Bill Fornshells amazing prouducts!

when I make a pack similar to yours I will refer to your pics just as much as Bills.

thanks for your example, you inspire me

Benjamin Smith
    BPL Member

@bugbomb

Locale: South Texas

All,

I am glad if the pack looks up to standards. Fortunately, I can’t shatter that perception with close-up shots – I can’t sew a straight line to save my life! Thanks again for everything you all have said – it’s very encouraging.

Ryan, I have wanted a G6 since I first saw them, but as I’ve joked before, I’m a college student on a SUL budget. Although, Glen’s newsletter today reports that he’s selling the real deal G6 for $80! That’s a great price, and almost makes my time not worth the sewing, especially when you consider the extra features, saved weight, and no doubt much improved construction quality of the pro pack. Also, I have pored over Ron’s patterns on the SMD website – great stuff all around. The reason that I didn’t give the tarp a cat ridgeline is simply that the silnylon was like 62 inches wide, and it was just easier to hem and attach guyout loops/reinforcement! Hopefully you’ve seen Brian’s MacCat tarp page? http://www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com. Brilliant stuff, nothing but good reports. And as far as my stuff comparing to Bill’s – no way. That guy is the wizard of BPL. He probably made ten packs, three tarps, and another DAM in the time it took me to sew one pack – AND he modded his stove to boot! And all those pieces together probably weigh less than my pack does! My hat is off to Bill for his excellent work, excellent pics, and generous sharing of information.

Vick – not my first pack per se – I’ve started a couple, but always salvaged straps from other packs. I’ve also never made one with more than a main pack body, and certainly not one with a finished collar like this one. This is the first pack I’ve made that I would venture into the woods with ;). Thanks again for all your advice – while I didn’t incorporate it on this pack, I have certainly filed it away for consideration/brainstorming.

Roger A. – lol! Gave me a jump there for a line or two…

Ben

Anonymous
    Inactive

“I can’t sew a straight line to save my life!”

Yeah I feel your pain. It’s especially obvious when sewing long lengths such as with tarps. The secret is patience and sewing real slow

Still a Nice Job Ben, now I know why Glen sold the business

Michael Freyman
    BPL Member

@mfreyman

where are these G6’s that you mention for $80?

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

what is all this about GVP selling the company?

I cant find anything on his website.

will this mean a increase or decrease in gear production,new prouducts or less?

no more glen? :-(

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas
    kevin davidson

@kdesign

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson

will be in Austin,Tx.
    Bill beat me to it.

Michael—sign up to the newsletter at GG and you will receive notification on how to get the discounted G6.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ryan,

Relax… Despite the current transitional changes going on at Gossamer Gear, Glen will remain Chairman of the Board. Production of current gear will be increased and new products for 2006 are being field tested.

Regards

kevin davidson

@kdesign

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson

and more importantly— Glen will be continuing the R&D aspects. In fact, this change will give him more time to do so.

Michael Freyman
    BPL Member

@mfreyman

* edit out email request *

I suspect I will have missed the listserv notice and wont receive info until the next newsletter goes out. (I did still sign up for the newsletter, though.)

thanks

Anonymous
    Inactive

Done

Michael Freyman
    BPL Member

@mfreyman

Thanks Roger!

Michael Freyman
    BPL Member

@mfreyman

Now I need to check available credit card funds.

hmmmmm ………………

Paul Luther
    BPL Member

@eredluin

Locale: Northeast

While they have stock. $79.99. Type in “WHISP” in the coupon box then click “apply”. Follow the remaining instructions. Make sure the $79.99 price shows up. Medium size only.
    Paul

Paul Luther
    BPL Member

@eredluin

Locale: Northeast

Sorry. That’s $79.95:)

Viewing 21 posts - 26 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools