Topic

Ti Cooking Pot Size?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Ti Cooking Pot Size?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Ron Bell / MLD
    BPL Member

@mountainlaureldesigns

Locale: USA

There are so many sizes and configurations of Ti cups/pots out there…

I wonder what everyones most used size and configuration is when going solo?

Ex:
    900 with lid and no handle
    700ml with a handle and a lid
    450ml with no handle and no lid

Richard Matthews

@food

Locale: Colorado Rockies

I use the Evernew 600 ml with a Caldera Cone stove. It has a handle and lid.

Unless I want to fry then it is the mini Trangia.

AL FOIL BASE 0.1
    BACKPACKINGLIGHT FOLDING SPORK 0.5
    BANDANA 0.9
    CALDERA CONE 1.0
    CALDERA STOVE 0.6
    EVERNEW 600 ML POT 2.3
    EVERNEW POT LID 1.1
    MESH BAG 0.8
    ZIPLOC 4 CUP SCREW ON TOP 1.9
    ZIPLOC BLUE PAD COZY 0.5

Christopher Plesko

@pivvay

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Mostly Sterno can (11oz brimful), foil lid, no handle (use gloves)

Once and a while I carry my Snowpeak 450 w/ handles and foil lid if there will be lots of sitting around drinking coffee/tea/cocoa as it's large and more pleasing to drink from.

Winter solo I carry at least the Evernew 0.9L with ti lid if I might have to melt snow.

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

Snow peak 600 cup, foil lid, no handles
    Evernew 900 with lid, handles sometimes on, sometimes off.

The 600 cup used to be my go to cup but in the last few years I've found I prefer to eat out of the pot, and the 900 is better for that.

A. B.

@tomswifty

I use a snow peak 700 with handles and a lid. I basically bring it on any trip because it's also a nice cup.

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

I usually end up taking my Snow Peak 700 mL mug. Still has the handles but I use an aluminum foil lid. I've also got a Caldera Cone system for it. It waaaaayyy out does my Foster's can, tealight, foil windscreen set up in terms of convenience.

Adam

Jamie Shortt
    BPL Member

@jshortt

Locale: North Carolina

Ron, I'm down to a snowpeak 450 and a brasslight 550. The brasslight looks identical to the BPL 550 with lid and handles that is forever out of stock. But it looks like brasslight is now selling them.

I am a handles guy so I leave them on. I really like the extra size of the 550 and the light lid. But if I am going real light (<5 lbs) I stay with the 450 with a foil lid. I cooked now on a homemade V8 can stove that weighs 0.3 oz.

I cook coffee and oatmeal for breakfast and I eat the oatmeal out of a ziplock freezer bag. At night I usually fix the 1.5 serving mountain house meals that are vacuum sealed eating out of the pouch. The 450 is just enough for these meals, the 550 is luxery.

Jamie

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

I always backpack with my wife so the kitchen kit is a shared item. For 3 seasons we use a Vargo 0.9L ti pot with the Caldera Cone. In winter, we switch to a Vargo 1.3L with the MSR WindPro with the canister inverted. It's a little small for snow melting but we make do.

Overall, we are very happy with these options.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Michael

I've been using an MSR Titan 1.3 L pot all the time, but I have looked at the smaller Titan (I think 0.9 L). How do you find cooking in the smaller size for two?

Cheers

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

I use the MSR Titan kettle, 850ml. Want to take off the wire handles and the piece that holds them on. I–strong language here–despise eating from pouches. Never mind the mess. I don't like having a stinky bag with any amount of food particulate in my trash. Two cups of water for a meal, plus the food itself, this is a perfect size. Using a modified pot lifter in place of handles; more streamlined and less futzing IMO.

Roger, given that most of the meals I eat take two cups of water, then add food… there's no way I could get enough water in 900ml for two people, let alone cook the food. My 1.3L is just big enough…

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Hi Brad

> most of the meals I eat take two cups of water, then add food… there's no way I could get enough water in 900ml for two people, let alone cook the food. My 1.3L is just big enough…

Well, that is what I am wondering. Two cups of water is 500 mL. That leaves a fair bit of room in a 900 mL pot. Granted, you might be close to the top. I know my stews don't come anywhere near the top of the 1.3 L pot, so I am asking whether anyone manages with the smaller pot. I'm curious.

Cheers

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

Sorry, I wasn't specific enough. My thought process was that I use 500ml/ 2 cups for solo meals. Further, other people I would eat with also use 500ml of water per meal. The combined 1000ml, obviously, wouldn't fit in a 900ml pot–let alone with food! I frequently use prepackaged pastas and freeze-dried–they all suggest 2C/500ml of water. Are my eating habits weird to most here?

Troy Meadows
    BPL Member

@lightworker

Locale: Sierra foothills

Ron, I currently use the BPL 900 ti pot. It is handleless and I find it to be a perfect size for creating a large meal for me solo.

Roger, you could get by cooking for two with a 900ml pot if you are just cooking soup. I have done this before and grated the instant soup did fill the pot almost to the brim and boiled over a little. I am a very big eater and I think that a 1300ml pot would be ideal for my outing with the misses.
    Just my experience hope it helps.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

> prepackaged pastas and freeze-dried–they all suggest 2C/500ml of water

Yeah, I know. Then the instructions say you should pour 3/4 of the water away. I tend to use just enough water and Dutch oven it.

Yes, I do make 2-Minute soup, but never IN the pot. I boil the water and pour it into the bowls in which I have already put the soup mix. Well, I did try making it in the pot once – and did it stick and burn!

Cheers

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

If I do use a cook pot and not a Hieneken Can it would be the Snowpeak 600. Easy to use and very packable with room to stuff small gear in it.

Derek Goffin

@derekoak

Locale: North of England

We use a MSR kettle 850 for 2 people

Matt Lutz

@citystuckhiker

Locale: Midwest

One of two pots: REI Titanium 1.3L /w fold-out handles, a lid and teflon (4.9 oz) or an uncoated 5 cup pot from End2End (now closed) with a lid but no handles at ~3.8. Because of the handles and coating, I'm probably going to use the REI pot more and more now. It also works great to two people, and probably three if need be. I will be using to melt snow this winter.

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

For solo use, during the past 3 seasons, I have used the BPL FireLite SUL-1100. I added a Ti spoke bail handle so I don't need a pot lifter. As soon as it arrives I'll be switching to a BrassLite 550. I'll remove the handles and handle brackets, before installing a Ti spoke bail. Then I'll make a Reflectix cozy.

Monty Montana
    BPL Member

@tarasbulba

Locale: Rocky Mountains

I started out with the Snow Peak mini solo (830 ml) but found the narrow diameter seemed to really slow down the boil time. So I got an MSR Titan (.9L) and performance significantly improved because of the larger diameter. Wanting to pursue my hypothesis about diameter/performance, I got an Antigravity Gear alu pot (.9L) with a diameter of 5". This was the best yet. I can boil 3 cups of water using about 3/4 tab of esbit! Even though it's not Ti, it seems to be the one I use most.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools