Topic

Idaho Centennial Trail Thru-Hike

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Idaho Centennial Trail Thru-Hike

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Brian Frankle

@bdf37

Folks-

I just returned from completing a ~900 mile hike from Canada to Nevada along the Idaho Centennial Trail. Journals and pics can be seen at:

http://www.ula-equipment.com/subadventures/idaho_centennial_trail.asp
    If any one has questions about the trail, please feel free to ask.

Brian

* Edited by sharalds: updated URL

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

I'm planning/hoping to do the ICT from the Lochsa River to Nevada border next summer (with my dog). I will visit with you for thoughts and suggestions when you have time. I will be very interested in your thoughts regarding having your dog with you on this trip.

Good job and great trip report and pictures. I really enjoyed following your adventure.

Will we be seeing a ULA dog pack for 09?

Carlos Figueroa

@cfigueroa

Locale: Santa Cruz Area

Great job to both Brain and WD, loved the photos and the trip report. Thanks for posting them up and sharing your adventure.

Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

Locale: White Mtns

I would def buy one of those!!

J B
    BPL Member

@johannb

Locale: Europe

I love the wind jacket you made for your dog :-) Looks like he enjoyed it.

Great that you could spend so much time with him.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Brian, would please describe the details of your customized pyramid shelter from MLD. Thanks!

Brian Frankle

@bdf37

Folks,

Glad to hear that the ICT is intriguing! It is a great rte with very few people, vast tracts of wilderness, and fine weather.

ULA Dawg Packs? Uh…probably not. :)

MLD Pyramid? I'd touch base with Ron at MLD for the skinny on that. I will say that after using it for 2 months, I see very little reason to revert back to a tarp. I was very, very pleased with the shelter.

Brian

Joshua Billings
    BPL Member

@joshua

Locale: Santa Cruz,Ca

Man you have some huge b–ls.Great trip.

Josh

David Ure

@familyguy

nm

Scott McCain
    BPL Member

@highlander366

Locale: Idaho

Brian I too am waiting for you to post a gear list……

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

Congratulations Brian. The ICT is considered to be one of the hardest trails in the USA.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

I feel an especial fondness for this trip report as the beginning you chose (North) shares some tread with the Pacific Northwest Trail which I had the opportunity to hike in 2007. Thank you for the trip report, notes, and photos. I look forward to seeing trail maps.

Brian Frankle

@bdf37

Bob-

Your comment surprised me. I think the ICT may have that rep simply due to so few people having hiked it and the lack of useful info online. In terms of trail, conditions, and weather, it is no more daunting than any other 900 miles of trail in the lower 48. I don't say that as a 'tough guy' but rather in an honest attempt to dispel myth!

I'd say the hardest part of the ICT is simply figuring out how to get to (or from) each respective TH…

…and seriously, if all the bushes were trimmed, there'd be visible trail tread from border to border…

Brian

Nicole Hill

@n_hill7

I just found out about the ICT. I found your info the most helpful out there on the net. I am planning on doing it in June 2010. Not sure if I'm bringing my 6 year old, 30lb shepard/collie mix dog yet or not. Did your dog have any difficulties along the way? Also- what did you end up averaging for miles per day?

Thank you!

-Nicole

Paul Gibson

@pgibson

Locale: SW Idaho

I have been planning to do some section hikes of the ICT this summer and fall. Brian your trail journal was some of the most detailed and informative info I have been able to find. I really like the suggestion to include crossing into the Ten Lake Basin. I will post a TR for my sections and maybe some video when I get through.

Paul

Ken Powers

@gottawalk

Locale: SF Bay Area

Marcia and I are leaving for Idaho within a week to start our ICT thruhike. Our journals will be posted at http://www.trailjournals.com/GottaWalkICT

Don't expect current posts since the phone coverage isn't even spotty.

In talking to Naples post office today we heard of another hiker planning to be in Naples the first week of August.

Hope to see some of you on the trail!

Casey Burnett

@casey_ula

Ken and Marcia-

Thanks for posting about your upcoming hike…most certainly looking forward to your impressions of the route, the conditions, logistics, etc. Have fun, be safe!

Nicole…Dawg did fine. No injuries, no issues. However, in saying that he was in GREAT shape before we left due to a pretty thorough pre-trip fitness routine…good for his body, mind, and paw pads! If you have never heard of Tuff-Foot for animal pads, check it out. It is fantastic and great for human feet as well.

Lastly, we averaged about 20 miles per day. That seemed to be my dawgs magic number for performance vs fatigue…which I knew BEFORE we set out on the ICT. His longest day on the trail was 27 I think…so much of his performance was based on temp, water availability, and load carried. Anything over 3 days of food and he was not nearly as strong. If you have any dog questions contact me off list.

Glad to hear that people are finding the ICT journals helpful. Best to all who set foot on the ICT!

Brian

Kyle Crawford
    Spectator

@getupandgo

Locale: SouthEast

What happened to the URL? It no longer works…or is the journal posted somewhere else? I viewed it over the summer, but it has now seemed to have vanished…

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

The web site was redesigned this summer.

I found it Here.

I found it with a Google search using – site:http://www.ula-equipment.com idaho centennial

You can find it, and more, by looking under Community/Trails.

Kyle Crawford
    Spectator

@getupandgo

Locale: SouthEast

Thanks

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

I updated the original post with the correct URL.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools