Topic

Best gloves for cool/cold weather photographry?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Photography Best gloves for cool/cold weather photographry?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Stumphges
    BPL Member

@stumphges

I'm looking for a form-fitting glove offering good sensitivity, dexterity and grip in the fingers for photography in cool/cold conditions.

Windproof would also be nice, but not essential as I use overmitts when not shooting.

Tried Manzella's Windstopper N2S recently and liked them, but wished they had more grippiness on the fingertips.

Any suggestions?

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

Hi Josh,

How cold? For down to perhaps freezing I'll recommend fingertipless mountain biking gloves; for colder conditions, fingertipless wind-blocking fleece gloves that fit snugly and have grippy palm material. I recently got a pair like that by Patagonia that work very well. There are others, but many have slick material on the palms that wouldn't grip the camera as well.

I've not found I can operate camera controls, especially wheels and small buttons, in gloves that include fingertips. I also have a kind of goofy pair of windproof mitten-gloves by OR. The mitten part folds back to reveal fingerless gloves inside. The fit isn't as good as pure gloves, though.

Jeremy Greene
    Spectator

@tippymcstagger

Locale: North Texas

I have worn through the fingers of a lot of gloves. Dexterity only improves. For cold, I'd open only the fingers needed for the device.

Mark Regalia
    BPL Member

@markr

Locale: Santa Cruz

I have pair of mittens with fingerless gloves inside that are for bicycling. You pull back the mitten to expose the ends of your fingers. I use them in winter. Except for the coldest days I quickly find my fingers overheating and need to pull back the mitten part (keeping in mind I live on the Central California coast, not known for its cold winters).

You might want to look at bike stores online like Performancebike, bikenashbar.com, coloradocyclist.com. One thing is for sure, they'll be cheaper than those made by an outdoor outfitter.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools