Topic

Pertex/Pile History and Products

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Pertex/Pile History and Products

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    David White
    BPL Member

@davidw

Locale: Midwest

Thanks for the great article. It raises some interesting possibilities.

One of the listed cons is bulk; but no real measure is given. For those of you who own one, just how small can a mountain shirt be compressed in a stuff sack? One liter? Two liters?

Also, does anyone know of a US supplier of Buffalo products? The best I found is Jackson Sports out of the UK. They'll ship to the States, but the cost to ship a jacket, hood, and mitts is $81!!!!

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

Hi David,
    Out of curiosity, i looked at the shipping costs on this site and it was £16.45 for a Mountain Shirt to the USA. The prices look good too.
    I've never bought anything from them, so can't vouch for them. I'm looking to buy a Buffalo Tecmax Shirt for this winter.
    I would guess the packdown size of a Mountain Shirt is around 8 litres or so. It takes up most of the space in a little 10L day-sack i have.

Another quick Google saw this sitethat charged £10 shipping for a Mountain Shirt to the USA. :)

Martin Pomije

@cold_weather_cyclist

I'm curious as to why pile is used is used in these garments. I think that they would be lighter and compress more if they used another form of insulation. Does pile insulation tend to absorb less moisture than other insulation such as Polarguard?

David White
    BPL Member

@davidw

Locale: Midwest

Thanks Mike for the other web sites. In addition to the shipping, Penrith's prices were also better.

One other question regarding warmth for those with experience with the Mountain Shirt: I tend to be a very cold sleeper. I know the Mountain Shirt is really designed to work best while active; but would it not also add significant warmth when sleeping so long as its under a down quilt?

nanook ofthenorth
    BPL Member

@nanookofthenorth

Needlesports.com
    I have had very good luck with these guys and IME they have been very good.
    Their set up for international shipping and have experice sending it out. Their shipping is also very resonable.
    If your ordering oversees from the UK, about 17.5% should be deducted from the purchase price as you do not have to pay VAT (you may have to pay customs duty, but no UK VAT). In my experice with Needle Sports the cost of shipping has usually been less then the savings from the VAT. IMO rather nice!

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

David,
    I guess a Mountain Shirt would add a lot of warmth to a sleeping system. Buffalo make sleeping bags using the same fibre/pile. A friend of mine uses a Mountain Shirt with a synthetic bag.
    If you go down the Buffalo route for clothing, then pack size shouldn't be an issue. It is designed to be worn all day, not carried.
    If you are looking for a hood for the shirt, there is the standard hood, and also an expedition hood. The expedition hood is larger, it can just fit over a climbing helmet, and it has a wired peak.

Kai Larson

@kaipl

Locale: Colorado

I have the same question. Why is the pertex/pile option better tahn wearing a powerstretch base with a lightweight windshirt?

Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools