Topic

Cup lid

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Cup lid

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    David Ure

@familyguy

Nm

Christopher Plesko

@pivvay

Locale: Rocky Mountains

I used doubled aluminum foil on my lidless pots/mugs. Works fine and lasts several trips. I've also heard pie tins or that stuff the butter pound cake comes in works real good. Plus then you get to eat pound cake.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

I too have Snowpeak 450, try Aluminum Flashing
    My lid ways 0.1 oz. simple

Paul Tree

@paul_tree

Locale: Wowwww

I use tinfoil too, at least for short trips.

Either alone or in conjunction with a regular top lid, you can have an inside lid that sits on top of the water.
    I can see crinkled foil working. Recently someone posted a circle of silicone cutting board or something that he puts inside. Using a canister stove, it should only get as hot as hot steam.

Cons: It would be messy to boil anything but water.

Blue _
    BPL Member

@lrmblue

Locale: Northeast (New England)

A great source for rugged but light foil for making lightweight pot lids is the foil that is now often used to seal most large metal cans of pre-ground coffee (Maxwell House, Hills Brothers, etc.). It is heavy duty, usually embossed for extra strength, and, of course, weighs very little.

LIBERTAS+PAX PACIS

Dana S
    BPL Member

@naman919

Locale: Richmond, Virginia

Sort of a hijack but i made a pot lid out of aluminum flashing and stuck a pushpin through the top.

I bent the metal tip 90 degrees to help secure it to the lid. After reading a bit, i recall someone talking about adding seamgrip or something similar to the underside of the lip to seal the bent pin to the lid. Just a drop or two, but more to create a small seal for the pinhole and prevent rust.

I say this b/c the pushpin i have in now for testing purposes, is rusting and needs to be replaced.

I'm guessing i need something thermal resistant but also non-toxic.

Ideas?

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

try a thin brass wire. available at all hardware stores.

Dana S
    BPL Member

@naman919

Denis,

I really like the idea of the pushpin (think colored for corkboards) b/c it leaves a handle but still can puncture the aluminum flashing and be bent for placement.

I think a wire would not leave me an insulated top "handle" that i could grab while the water is boiling. The top of the pushpin seldom gets very hot from just boiling water.

A thin wire would just transmit all the heat and i wouldn't be able to grab it w/o a rag/towel.

Plus, i would still want to be able to secure the wire to the underside of the lid also.

Anyone know what thread/post I was referring to earlier?

Dana S
    BPL Member

@naman919

http://www.freewebs.com/jasonklass/my600lid.htm

I knew it was Klass.

My thoughts are now on the JB Weld and how toxic it could potentially be when boiling water.

I have heat resistant Weld and it's a grayish color when mixed. Not sure i want that near my water.

What are YOUR thoughts?

Jason, have you had any concerns about this?

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

Dana,
    Here is a photo I just took of the lid for my Heineken Pot. As you can see, the handle stands up so I can remove the lid with my spoon if it's too hot to touch. And, it lays flat for packing.

No glue, no rust, no sweat.

Brass Wire Handle on Pot Lid

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Locale: Colorado

Dana,
    I just emailed you about this.

Daniel Fosse

@magillagorilla

Locale: Southwest Ohio

I use the bottom of tobacco tins for lids. They fit on the SP600 almost like they were made to. They are tin and rust easy. This spring I'm gunna paint one with black grill paint to keep it from rusting. I also use nylon line for the handle. It works well if you don't get the line in the fire. I'm gunna try wire, looks more fire proof.

Foil is too fiddly for me. The tin lid is pretty tough and closes the top very well, fiddle free.
    sp-600-tin-lid-1
    sp-600-tin-lid2

Don Meredith
    Spectator

@donmeredith

Locale: SouthEast

Great looking SP600 lid. Any details on what brand of container you're vulturing from would be much appreciated.

Daniel Fosse

@magillagorilla

Locale: Southwest Ohio

This is the bottom of a Bali Shag tobacco tin. It weighs .55 oz. It is not the lightest option but it is way more rugged than foil.

I think I have 4-5 of them laying around if anyone wants one, PM me.

Or if anyone who does not use tobacco wants to send me a full tin, I will empty the contents and send the bottom back :)

Jeff Antig

@antig

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I use a tin pan thing that is used to make cupcakes. I also bring some cake mix with me so this really has two uses.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools