Topic

“Trip Report – Lonesome Complex Fire”

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports “Trip Report – Lonesome Complex Fire”

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

Living in southern Oregon, near Crater Lake and the PCT, I hear daily updates regarding the Lonesome Complex fire. Just this past week the fire doubled in size resulting in the closure of the PCT from Devils Peak north into and through Crater Lake. I decided to take a fast overnight trip to see the fire. Here are some pictures.

Devils Peak PCT trail marker.
    PCT trail marker at Devils Peak.

PCT closed section below Devils Peak.
    Closed PCT below Devils Peak heading north to Crater Lake.

Alta Lake, south of Devils Peak, in the smoke.
    Alta Lake, in the smoke, south of Devils Peak.

Fire burning north of Alta Lake.
    Fire burning north of Alta Lake.

Smoke just around the corner from Alta Lake.

Fire helicopter picking up fire crew from lake below Alta.
    Fire fighting helicopter picking up a fire crew just below Alta Lake.

Look closely and you can see the helicopter next to the lake below with fire burning beyond.
    Helicopter at lake below.

Fire crew near helicopter.
    Fire crew near helicopter.

Helicopter with fire crew heading out.
    Helicopter and fire crew heading out.

More fire and smoke.
    More fire and smoke.

Alta Lake.
    Alta lake looking east, fire is to the north.

Camp next to Alta Lake.
    Camp next to Alta Lake.

Camp.

My view from camp.
    View from camp.

Alta Lake near dark.
    Alta Lake near dark.

Bill B
    BPL Member

@bill123

Nice photos! Which McHale is that?

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Bill,
    Good eyes, that is a brand new full dyneema LBP35 that Dan just finished for me. The tarp is a MLD spectralite.
    Thom

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Hey nice pictures- it's hard to believe there is still fires this late into the season. Just wondering what is night/day time temps in Or in Sept. Thanks

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Jay,
    The weekend was the coolest we've had in the area for some time. Day time temperatures Saturday were in the mid 70's with a lot of wind and overcast/smokey skies. Over night temperatures at Alta Lake were in the low 30's, any colder and I would have had ice in my water bottles.

Maybe the most interesting part of the short trip was hearing, and seeing via headlamp, the large number of deer and elk migrating away from the fire under the cover of darkness. The ground along side the lake was, for lack of a better word, trampled the next morning as I packed up and headed out.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Interesting about the elk and deer, there alot smarter then they appear-sometimes!! I am thinking of hiking around or by Crater Lake next summer any suggestions: thanks

Christopher Holden
    BPL Member

@back2basics

Locale: Southeast USA

Geez Thom! How much of your trip was spent manicuring the campsite for the photo? I think I see a couple pieces of gravel that could have been moved to fill in a low spot!
    Bummer about the fires, but it's got to be worth the trip when you see these events in action.
    I spent my weekend slumming by the lake. I killed more beers than fish and spent a night under an open sky. You can bet the tarp went up quick when I smelled rain last night! Our night time temps are still in the 60s. I've got a few more months before I can compare cold stories with you.
    Chris

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Chris,
    The forest service set the site up a few years ago to let over used areas closer to the lake recover. I seemed to have the whole Sky Lakes Wilderness to myself due to the fires (except for the helicopter pilot and fire fighters at the lake below me that the picture shows leaving) and the site I used had the best front and center view of the fire.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools