Topic

Cuben Fiber in Colors

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Cuben Fiber in Colors

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Roman Ackl
    BPL Member

@roman

Hi all,

Cubic Tech announced that they sell cuben fiber in different colors now!
    Hurra…
    http://www.cubictechnology.com/Products.html

Ron Bell / MLD
    BPL Member

@mountainlaureldesigns

Locale: USA

What colors would folks be interested in?

I'm checking on availability/colors possible/price/weights and min qty orders right now….So, we'll see….

-Ron

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

Periwinkle? Kidding of course.

A. B.

@tomswifty

bright orange
    gray

Christopher Holden
    BPL Member

@back2basics

Locale: Southeast USA

"What colors would folks be interested in?
    I'm checking on availability/colors possible/price/weights and min qty orders right now….So, we'll see….
    -Ron"

Ron,
    Is there a licensing restriction on making camo print? Clark is doing it for their silnylon hammock tarps. I know there are different types of camo, but a simple old fashioned green/black/brown jungle camo would be great.
    If not, count me in for one of those three if only solid colors are an option. Spectralite Grace Duo would be good, as I already own a Solo, but I'd be happy with either size, just to be more stealth than my existing cloud/white colored spectralite tarp. Count me in for one if it's possible.
    Is there any chance of these being the same "plus" size as the spinntex Grace tarps?
    Thanks.
    Chris
    p.s. my new quilt kicks butt.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

Hi all,

For now only Red and Blue.

Not to much available today – some of the light weight Blue at $19.54 plus shipping.

Price is about 10% above the standard Cuben price.

You need to buy it in 9 yard min qty.

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!

For now only Red and Blue.

Stars and Bars tarp anyone? :-)

Christopher Holden
    BPL Member

@back2basics

Locale: Southeast USA

Argh. I was at work and didn't take time to hit the link. Ah well… I'm still holding out for stealth colors.

Casey Cardwell
    BPL Member

@niles

Locale: On the Dirt in Oregon

Is the colored cuben still the same weight? And are they 60" wide rolls?

I know this may be a silly question, but Bill, do you recommend cuben for quilts (now that you've had your cuben sleeping bag for a while)? I worry about having a VB quilt, but would be excited to make something so lightweight.

Maybe colored cuben is the push I needed to finally make a complete SUL kit. Still have to come up with the funds though :(

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Standard width for Cuben is 48 inches wide.

The weights are the same but what was available earlier today was the lightest stuff – Blue is product number – CTO. 3E.08. This product is more or less 0.33 ounces per sq yard.

Using some simple math I believe that the material for a Cuben Quilt would be about 1/3 the weight (0.33 ounce per sq yard) of a Quilt made from something like Momentum 90 or Pertex Quantum. Both of these two materials are about 1.03 ounces per sq yard. That would be sort of 2 ounces vs 6 ounces for the shell material. If you decide to try an all Cuben Quilt I would suggest you build in a way to vent or open one or both ends to air out the insulation. If you get to hot under the Cuben Quilt all you need to do is flip the Quilt or stick one of your feet out from under it.

I am about to start another sleeping bag. I will use Cuben on one side of the shell and Pertex Quantum on the other side. I will also use Cuben for the non-insulated bottom. This way the insulation can still breath through the Pertex Quantum side and or I can turn it inside out if necessary.

I have a number of things planned for the "It Comes in Colors" – Color Cuben Fiber.

Kevin Egelhoff

@kegelhoff

Locale: Southern Cal

As usual Bill, I can't wait to see what you come up with. Just make sure and take lots of pictures for us !!!
    Would love to see and hear about a new sleeping bag. Are you thinking quilt or hood ? Anticipated weight? What are you thinking about for the insulation ? Temp rating ?

Joshua S
    BPL Member

@joshualee101

I vote for grey.

Jan Rezac
    BPL Member

@zkoumal

Locale: Prague, CZ

> What colors would folks be interested in?

Dark olive / khaki – simply some muted green.
    If there is a batch of such a natural color, I'll definitely order a piece.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Gray.
    Blends with the shadows of almost anywhere.

Paul J Guyon

@pjguyon

Locale: Florida

I like green. Any green.

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

Sandy/tan/khaki or olive, muted blend-in colors… nice for a tarp or ul tent. Just for fun, how's about a nice raisin?!

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Bright colours! Much better photography, and very useful for SaR too.

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

Ah. Yeah, Roger and Evan–bright orange would be good too. Or (ugh) chartreuse. Shucks, with the weight, you could probably do a reversible muted/bright, although it'd admittedly take a tarp from 3 ounces to 6…

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

I received my blue Cuben Fiber this evening, 9 yards of the lightest version.

To get color Cuben has used blue cord but retained the clear mylar or what ever that is so you end up with a sort of transparent blue fiber. Still see-through.

The heavier version of the color would have more color cord per inch and may be less see-through.

I asked for a set of samples and that should answer that question when I can see what the heavier fiber looks like.

Ron Bell / MLD
    BPL Member

@mountainlaureldesigns

I have a set of the stock colors. White, blue, red and green (crayola bright green) Note that they call the reg color we all know a Gray- we all think of it as white as the new white is whiter with a dye to make the whiteness more uniform.

They are making a test of an olive gray/foliage green one for me now. As Bill said above, the colors in the lighter weights are translucent and not what you would think of as a solid color- more of a color tint.

Keep in mind that the cost of a custom color is about 10% more and requires about a $9k buy. I wonder if folks are willing to pay even more for an already expensive item…

As a mrgr- you can see the conundrum- stick with the current gray (white) that is pretty good and not really offensive or go for a more muted color that no doubt would be even better received but cost more and require more investment. Stocking both is not an option.

Hummmmm…

Nia Schmald
    BPL Member

@nschmald

Personally a 10% premium wouldn't be worth it for me. As Ron said cuben is already expensive enough.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Ron

> As a mgr- you can see the conundrum … Stocking both is not an option.
    Handling that's why you get paid the big bucks!

Cheers

Michael Martin
    BPL Member

@mikemartin

Locale: North Idaho

My vote is for "Aluminized". Seriously. I have a couple of special projects in mind…

Ok, I'll give one away — a condensation-resistant tarp. [There!] :-)

Jan Rezac
    BPL Member

@zkoumal

Locale: Prague, CZ

If there was the possibility to buy the natural-colored cuben, I'd certainly buy some.

I hope someone will source it and sell it by yard. I know it depends on how fast will such an investment return, but there may be enough interest among people here to sell one batch.

Ron Bell / MLD
    BPL Member

@mountainlaureldesigns

Interestingly- I have seen it myself many times and have heard back from many customers – the Cuben material does not collect nearly as much condensation underneath as Silnylon.

My guess is that the thinner material transfers heat just a bit faster and thus less condensation can form. Does this theory hold water…;-)

Another plus for Cuben.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools