Topic

Huge sale on Propper Tactical Clothing

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Huge sale on Propper Tactical Clothing

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 23 posts - 26 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    Boozer
    BPL Member

@anywayoutside

Locale: South East

I have to say I agree with Chris indirectly…This really boils down to considering the source. I think the fact that poster had no previous postings leads us to believe it was spam. If someone who was somewhat involved with board had posted the same link I would like to believe Roger might would have left it alone. The "Gear Deal" thread is not exactly a cluttered area. We all find sources that seem to be out of the bounds of UL retailers.
    No need to crucify, but Really could the post not have been left alone? I think it would have faded away like all the rest. Does anyone know how the BDU shirts from Propper would stack up to the new Thorofare Shirt? I know they are cheaper.

Philip Mitchell

@pmops5

Locale: Florida

I don't know, but there is reviews on the 5.11 "tactical" pants in the BPL reader reviews here.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

As noted by several of you guys, this was a single posting in the same category as those from 'Shoe Boy'. Accordingly it was treated as spam, and we usually delete that stuff.

However, the comments from everyone are appreciated and help to guide policy.

Cheers

Dustin F

@dirtt

Locale: So. California

"As noted by several of you guys, this was a single posting in the same category as those from 'Shoe Boy'. Accordingly it was treated as spam, and we usually delete that stuff.

However, the comments from everyone are appreciated and help to guide policy.

Cheers"

So you removed his posting because it was spam or because it was "not of our core values"? I am confused because you have now given two different reasons for the removal of the post.

You have not removed the numerous other posts by people with only one post in this forum that were advertising a sale.

Slo Hiker
    BPL Member

@slohiker

Locale: NC Foothills

"So you removed his posting because it was spam or because it was "not of our core values"? I am confused because you have now given two different reasons for the removal of the post.

You have not removed the numerous other posts by people with only one post in this forum that were advertising a sale."

Now I was being a good ole' boy by letting this bit of crawfishin' go without a comment and you went and messed it up! ;)

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

When the first post was made I didn't look at it as I had no real interest. But then when it was 'censored" I thought 'here they go again".

That is when I made my first comment about "bushwacking" and "tactical" type clothing.

When I found out the name of the company I went and had a look. I don't have a problem with the pictures they used. I just looked at what they were selling. I ignored these pictures like I ignore pictures of things I have no interest in.

I clicked on what they call their

"Adventure Tech Line." This is a line of 15 items that I am sure are on the durable side of things and I guess lighter than their standard stuff. They even use Climashield "Combat" insulation in a few items. I looked for weighs but didn't find any. I called them to ask about the weight of a couple items. The CS person – who was very nice – said he only had the shipping weight. But, that if I wanted to know the weight of any specific item I could email him the product number and he would get the item and weigh it for me. Then he would send me an email with the weight.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Love tactical clothing – it does have its uses. Built to last and rip apart. And frankly it breathes better often.

I have worn tactical pants before for both shooting and for hiking. Last time I didn't wear good pants while cross country I got a branch impaled through the skin on my knee. Never again.

Oh yeah, and for all of you who have issues with companies that sell to the military? You might want to look at Cascade Designs. They sell quite a bit to the military. I on the other hand have no issues with it.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> So you removed his posting because it was spam or because it was "not of our core values"? I am confused because you have now given two different reasons for the removal of the post.

Very simple: the two reasons added up to enough to cause me to act.

While we do encourage the use of this channel by cottage industries starting up **in the UL space**, we do not want the channel to be seen as a free advertising place for all and sundry, especially by people who have no other involvement with the BPL and it's core values.

There is a continuum between pure spam and useful postings, and finding the threshold is not easy. Your comments help.

Cheers
    Roger Caffin
    Online Community Monitor

Jesse Glover

@hellbillylarry

Locale: southern appalachians

I'm sorry but the only reason the post was deleted is because the gear they sell happens to come in olive drab. That seems to be the only difference between the stuff in the link that Bill provided and the stuff in my gear closet.

Are you telling me that Dana Designs, Gregory, TNF, or any of the other heavy weight manufactures stuff is off limits here too? this is backpackingLIGHT after all.

If it were spam wouldn't it have showed up in the wrong forum?

Jesse Glover

@hellbillylarry

Roger wrote:
    "Quite simple. BPL's focus is on lightweight backcountry travel without machinery"

Roger those poles you have in your hands in your avitar are machines. ; )

Ashley Brown

@ashleyb

One of the best and worst things about the internet is that information is very hard to delete once it has been uploaded. For those who are interested, this link contains the text of the original post.

I don't know whether it conflicts with the core values of BPL, or if it falls under the category of spam. But I suspect that, if left alone, the post would have faded into obscurity very rapidly.

Ashley Brown

@ashleyb

[post no longer relevant thanks to John's tinyurl suggestion below]

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Ashley, consider using tinyurl.com for such long url's. BPL software may not work with long addresses. Below is the link to the sale which has $20 tough clothing. A heck of a price. The image Roger posted was not from this website, but from the website that manufactures the clothing that is being sold below.

http://www.eliteguns.com/Liquidation/Otheproducts.html

Philip Mitchell

@phil_mitchell

Locale: Florida

The description of the Gear Deals subforum states "Commercial posts OK, but ONLY if you are announcing a sale or coupon."

So I don't understand the deletion.

Jesse Glover

@hellbillylarry

You don't understand? I will explain: aparently backpackinglight is anti military and the post was deleted because of bpl/roger's political agenda. There can be no other reason.

Stephen Parmenter
    BPL Member

@parmens

Locale: OH

I've got to say I agree with pretty much everyone…

– based on the original post, it appears the user is a spammer. he has made no other posts. spammers… one of my personal pet peeves, being a moderator on a backpacking yahoo group site, so based on that alone, I would have deleted the post
    – I agree that if it had quietly been deleted with no comment, it would have died. Or if it had been left alone, it would have died.
    – But because of inconsistencies in enforcement and his responses in other posts, it does appear that Roger (at least) is biased towards anti military and possibly a political agenda

Not sure what the take away is, just my observations.

Slo Hiker
    BPL Member

@slohiker

Locale: NC Foothills

With no intent to flame the fires on this topic anymore, I just want to clarify the point to those that may have missed it …. my initial question, though put in the form of a question, was completely rhetorical. I think I knew the answer already.

I must admit that I find these politically correct "situations" profanely amusing. For me at least, the lines seem to be getting brighter all the time.

Christopher Holden
    BPL Member

@back2basics

Locale: Southeast USA

I have an anti-spam agenda. I don't understand the political or anti-military agenda accusation though. Can someone please send me a MYOG SUL tinfoil hat so I can follow along with the conspiracy theory?
    Thanks in advance.
    Chris

Stuart Armstrong

@strong806

Locale: Near the AT

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

Chris,

I designed this
    "Tin Foil / Cook Pot Hat" some time ago. I got a lot of orders for it using the PM format and most had left coast address. The orders were all for size "small".

I made enough money off this item to buy my second Hummer.

Christopher Holden
    BPL Member

@back2basics

Locale: Southeast USA

Bill,
    If anyone would zero in on MYOG and SUL, I knew you would be at the top of the list.
    Thanks for the laugh.
    Chris

Jesse Glover

@hellbillylarry

Bill, I hope it was a real Hummer and not one of those pansy GM hummers.

Christopher, even though you were flaming me I still think that is one of the funniest posts I have ever read.

Barry Foster
    BPL Member

@bazzer

Locale: Redding

Hey Guys and Girls,
    I have a real Hummer H1. The black Propper Pants I wear now and then are UL and better made than many in my local backpacking store and certainly lighter than those from REI.
    Now Roger, your not being anti-American are you?
    Baz

Viewing 23 posts - 26 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools