Topic

Suggestion for Bicycle Touring Forum

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Administration & Support Website & Forum Support Suggestion for Bicycle Touring Forum

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Amy Lauterbach
    BPL Member

@drongobird

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I am a member of a yahoo group called ultralightbiking that is dedicated to bicycle touring with light loads. Many of the topics overlap with BPL topics (sleeping systems, cooking gear, water treatment, clothing, etc). The only significant gear areas that don't overlap are tool kits and the means of carrying the load.

A few of us over there have discussed shutting down that group and relocating in a forum over here. Would you be willing to add a new forum category under the Off Piste section called "Bicycle Touring".

Thanks much, Amy

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

Just came across this old thread that no one responded to. If there is going to be a section on Pack Rafting, doesn't it make sense to include a section for bicycle touring, since bicycles can be very useful in moving around the landscape, much like pack rafts, no?

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

It's a bit difficult to put your bicycle into your backpack.

Forgive me for being snarky on such a beautiful Friday ; )

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

I think it's a good idea, there must be a lot of overlap….

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

It's a bit difficult to put your bicycle into your backpack.

Um, well, so are the methods of travel that come up in the "Water Travel" forum. I'd argue that there are quite a few more bicycle travelers than water travelers. You'd probably get quite a sizable number of additional members if you brought in the bicyclists. And many, many cyclists are hikers, too. Besides a lot of the UL methodologies carry over very well to bicycle touring.

I also know quite a few Japanese who use folding bicycles strapped to their packs to climb mountains like Mt. Fuji and come racing back down… just not UL in the usual backpacking vein.

It's pouring rain here, so maybe that accounts for my delightfully chipper demeanor. ;-P

Arapiles .
    BPL Member

@arapiles

Locale: Melbourne

"It's a bit difficult to put your bicycle into your backpack."

Sam, it's not at all difficult:

http://www.bikerumor.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/mission-workshop-vandal-backpack5.jpg

Ross P Hemphill

@rbimli

Locale: PNW

I do think both that there are a lot of folks who are both cyclists and backpackers/etc, and that there is and should be much gear and technique overlap between touring and backpacking. I can say that both are big for me, and for many people I know. I've also gotten an off-the-cuff impression that a fair number of the excellent contributors here are cyclists.

"Bikepacking" (backcountry technical singletrack touring, for example) has had a lot of innovation in recent years (see Carnival and Epic bags), and the line between ultralight backpacking and bike touring has some fuzziness. I've had some parallel development of the two in my life, and am working with some gear ideas to flow in multiple directions.

I think the idea that "you can't have a wilderness experience on a bicycle" is worth considering, although I also wonder how much of one you can have if, say, you're constantly touching plastic.

BPL is an awesome resource, and I appreciate its focus on wilderness, simplicity, and common sense, among other things. I don't think that a bike touring forum would detract from that core, but would (hopefully/likely/if done right) just widen our array of quality people and content around here. More collaboration and diversity!

Sorry I'm so wordy… (if you even read this far :] ) G'night.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

I've done that around town once or twice before.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

That's carrying a spare to extremes.

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Great! I ask a legitimate question and get nothing but flippant answers. And I guess if those of us interested in this get ignored long enough we'll just go away. Thanks! Very useful and encouraging!

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

The Internet is both a great and terrible place to get quality answers because of the rampant flippant responses that oft occur. I, however have taken your request to heart and created a "Bicycle Touring" forum here at Backpacking Light.

Visit the Bicycle Touring Forum on BPL.

Ross P Hemphill

@rbimli

Locale: PNW

Hurrah! Thanks, Sam!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools