Topic

Where To Get Hard-To-Find Food Wiki List!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Where To Get Hard-To-Find Food Wiki List!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

A list to add to :-) The "where can I find that stuff?". With the horrid gas prices ordering online is often cheaper these days – and fast too!

So I start with these companies that I have used often:

Minimus.biz – for nearly all condiment packets and single servings. First aid items as well. Free shipping if you spend $20.

harmonyhousefoods.com – they carry a vast variety of dehydrated veggies, freeze dried veggies, freeze dried fruit, cooked and dried beans, flavored TVP, etc. Order a $100 and shipping is free.

justtomatoes.com – they sell both regular and organic freeze dried vegetables along with freeze dried fruit. Dehydrated veggies as well.

packitgourmet.com – a new company that sells hard to find items such as soy sauce powder, maple syrup powder, freeze dried meats, veggies, fruit,packets, etc. Very good service and fast. Fair shipping rates.

backcountryfood.com – home of Mary Jane's organic meals. Lots of great stuff!

edenfoods.com – source for freeze dried tofu (organic as well) and wasabi powder that isn't full of fake stuff.

worldspice.com – they are located in Pike Place in Seattle but sell online as well. Awesome store, high quality herbs!

importfood.com – I worked for them for a couple years, they are one of the best sources for hard to find Asian food. More importantly, their food is fresh. Something that doesn't happen always in store! Good source of curry pastes and rice noodles.

I'll add more later – and please add on if you have a source of cool stuff!

Dicentra OPW

@dicentra

Locale: PNW

truelemon.com – they make True Lemon, Lime and Orange. Also available at minimus.biz

kingarthurflour.com – really a site for bakers, but they have some cool ingredients, like powdered eggs, cheese and butter powders

http://www.penzeys.com – herbs, spices and seasonings

myspicer.com – dried mushrooms and other vegetables, spices, cheese powder, citrus powder, create your own spice blends

beprepared.com – aka Emergency Essentials, freeze dried foods

alpineairefoods.com – dried beef, cheese powder, gravy powder (ignore the ready-made-meals)

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

wildernessdining.com – another good source.

Just in case anyone wonders – it appears for now that adventurefoods.com is closed.

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

These are companies that I have dealt with directly and who have really impressed me with their customer service…

Walton Feed http://www.waltonfeed.com (powdered egg mix, powdered sour cream, etc)

Gibbs Wild Rice http://www.gibbswildrice.com (instant wild rice and a totally wonderful wild rice breakfast cereal)

Mumm's Organic Sprouting Seeds http://www.sprouting.com (seeds for sprouting lentils, daikon radish, broccoli, etc)

The Spice House http://www.thespicehouse.com (some of the best cheese powders ever and a great selection of spices)

The Huny Hunks http://www.hunyhunks.com (organic powdered honey)

This is a link to the store locator for Equinox Organic Maple Flakes http://www.decacer.com/sale-points.aspx

Christopher Holden
    BPL Member

@back2basics

Locale: Southeast USA

I know some of the hard to find items can be found in the local grocery, but knowing where to look is the trick. I thought True Lemon/Orange/Lime would have been with drink mixes, not in the baking section. Butter flakes? Sour cream powder? I thought mentioning these was a joke. Who knew I could find butter and s'cream that would keep outside the fridge?
    Thanks for posting these resources. It's a good place to start looking online when the local grocery doesn't carry or just stocks their items in places one might not think to look.

Dicentra OPW

@dicentra

Locale: PNW

Chris,

I'm always happy to answer an email about where to find a specific ingredient too. :)

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Packit Gourmet has real butter powder. The stuff is soooo good!

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

I wouldn't mind having a category in this wiki to identify companies that are willing to ship overseas. I have lots of yummy sounding recipes but they all seem specific to American ingredients. I can't even get "Bisquik" here, nor have I found any of the basics often mentioned such as 'tomato powder' and a whole host of other stuff.

Of course I make do with what I have available, but sometimes it's the little extras that make a big difference!

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Ya know..on Bisquick? It is easy to make at home :-) It is basically flour, leavening and shortening. Recipezarr.com has tons and tons of recipes for shortcuts!
    Tomato powder? Easy to make – dried tomato paste. Once dried, freeze it, then whirl in a blender.

The cool thing is that substitutes can often work well and many times even be better :-) Some of my favorite items I use are imported from Ireland. Boy do I pout when I cannot get them!

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

Allison,

I am in Canada and any of the American links on my sites or in my posts are for companies that will ship outside of the US and will do so cost effectively.

Hope that helps.

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

Thanks Sarah and Laurie. That's just the sort of stuff it's good to know. I have some tomato paste drying right now as I type ;)

Norman Bradley

@normanb

Locale: New York

Had trouble getting harmony house – just explorer issues.

Michael Skwarczek

@uberkatzen

Locale: Sudamerica

http://www.alltravelsizes.com/

Similar to Sarah's recommendation of minimus.biz but I found La Spagnola Ex Vir Olive Oil 5oz for $.22. Same shipping offer of free after $20

http://www.alltravelsizes.com/1444.html

Thanks so very much for all this great info!!!

-Michael

Norman Bradley

@normanb

Locale: New York

I just found another site for spices and an answer to a posting I made earlier: The Spice Barn
    http://www.spicebarn.com/

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Michael are you going to join us N. Cali's next summer on some fun hikes????

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

and on a serious note, thanks Sarah for taking the time to post the information. Awesome!!

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Hey Ken, What is the name of the sewing shop in Berkley.
    Come on Mr H.C.- do you know?? Dr. Know

David Bengoechea

@daveben

Locale: Calgary, Canada

I'm trying to find an on-line site that sells Individual / 1 oz Kraft Philadelphia Cream Cheese packs. I think I saw a link on the forum eons ago, but have done a search and can't find it. Can anyone help me out?
    Thanks.

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA
    Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Costco has had them, same with Sams Club. Also…restaurant supply stores that sell cold items.

Patrick Caulder
    BPL Member

@pcaulder

Locale: SouthEast

Do the cream cheese packets have to stay cold?

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Depends on how long you are hikking Patrick. 3-4 days buried in your pack is ok. Cream cheese is quite nice with some crackers after a long days hike.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

For years Rondele cheese made shelf stable packets of cream cheese. The rumor is they quit making them :-( They were sold in bakeries next to bagels in grocery stores.

But…on full fat cream cheese in single serving? It is fine for a couple days in cool weather, I try to use it in 24 hours in heat. Keep sealed till using. And! You can freeze them before leaving to extend the life!

Patrick Caulder
    BPL Member

@pcaulder

Locale: SouthEast

Thanks for the info about the cream cheese. I saw this on amazon and was wondering if anyone had tried it.

Amazon

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Patrick, that is some of the best stuff around. Coconut cream powder not only tastes good it is freaky high in fat. Add a Tbsp or two to oatmeal….to rice dishes, to couscous. It isn't a strong coconut flavor, rather mellow.

I got hooked on it when I worked for a Thai importer for a couple years (who by the way sells on Amazon as well – search for Import Food). I carry the small packets that are 1.75 to 2-ounces on my website as well – since for many they don't have a handy mega-mart Asian grocery store down the road ;-)

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools